Who cares about this soccer stuff?

Hyphy

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

True that. I'm actually going up to Dallas this weekend to see a game at the Ballpark. It will be my first pro game in over a decade. I'm looking forward to the dog and a beer.

agreed, i got braves season tickets ({censored}ty they are sucking this year) and i rather enjoy the game at the park, and yeah beer in one hand an dog in the other but man $6.50 for a bber and $5.75 for a hot dog is a freeking rip off. good thing i allways have a flask with me at the game...... ummm Scotch.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by L-1329

Soccer is not part of our culture and never will be to the extent that the rest of the world considers it. I'd even say that in terms of how much it's cared about over here, it would rank down with minor league sports at best. That's fine too, it makes no difference to us or anyone else if the US doesn't 'get' it. We don't want to spend our time on it. As kids we grew up watching our hero's play football, baseball, even hockey and basketball. Our sports culture is full enough with sports we enjoy and care about, and as a whole ther just isn't enough room for soccer or the world cup. World spectacle or not, I would rather spend an afternoon at Wrigley Field watching the Cubs than spend 5 minutes watching a soccer game. So enjoy the cup for all the soccer fans, and don't worry why we don't care, we're sure not worrying about it over here.
:cool:

I think the most annoying thing for myslef and others, that have settled in this great country, is the complete indifference on display.
I am not talking about the general populus BUT the morons they have used to do commentary on the games. I wish I had kept a list of all the mistakes made by said paid announcers. IF you can't be bothered to do it right, get real people who care about the sport to do it.
We have had to listen to so much crap it has been amazing!
You say you , as a nation do not want to waste time on it. I disagree...It is that whole "we're number 1" mentality that prevents you guys getting behind it, I believe. IE You're not number 1 at this....YET! You could be, and probably will be.
I can't wait for the next 10 years when this country has no choice BUT to embrace the largest game in the world...
I am going to laugh my arse off!
Baseball? Don't make me laugh. That is probably why this country has a 60% obesity problem. If American kids were playing Soccer in school...IE running!!!!!! Well, they might not end up resembling the Goodyear blimp!
Just my opinion.
:wave: :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by usa83strat

agreed, i got braves season tickets ({censored}ty they are sucking this year) and i rather enjoy the game at the park, and yeah beer in one hand an dog in the other but man $6.50 for a bber and $5.75 for a hot dog is a freeking rip off. good thing i allways have a flask with me at the game...... ummm Scotch.

Damn, yeah 6 bucks (22 oz at least and you got to keep the cup...) for a beer. Ripoff. It was fun to be at the park again, and I still remember to keep score after all these years! Thank god I'm not braindead yet.

I think my gf spent 50 bucks on booze and food there. And the tickets were 45 bucks a pop. Luckily my parents forked over for the tickets. Good seats though, and they were in the shade!

• Members
Originally posted by SWANKBOX!

I think the most annoying thing for myslef and others, that have settled in this great country, is the complete indifference on display.

I am not talking about the general populus BUT the morons they have used to do commentary on the games. I wish I had kept a list of all the mistakes made by said paid announcers. IF you can't be bothered to do it right, get real people who care about the sport to do it.

I can't wait for the next 10 years when this country has no choice BUT to embrace the largest game in the world...

:wave:

Not gonna happen. We're too stupid to enjoy a game that is 90+ minutes of non-stop action simply because it doesn't involve the scoring of 20 points a game. Plus we don't understand 'offsides' unless it involves a fat stupid offensive lineman that can't remember how many times the quarterback is going to yell 'hut!'

• Members
Originally posted by Wilbo26

Not gonna happen. We're too stupid to enjoy a game that is 90+ minutes of non-stop action simply because it doesn't involve the scoring of 20 points a game. Plus we don't understand 'offsides' unless it involves a fat stupid offensive lineman that can't remember how many times the quarterback is going to yell 'hut!'

Sadly, you might be right!
Mind you, once the video technology is enbraced...AND IT HAS TO BE, after this diabolical showing of piss poor officiating, MAYBE, you guys will get it!?
Points wise? Yeah! We know that already....101-100 in basketball....1-0 in soccer IE 1 point difference BUT, nowhere near as compelling when you are at one with the sofa/cheese puffs/pizza/beer etc!
I just looked at the obesity thing....
64% now in this country. {censored}!
:D :D

• Members

You say you , as a nation do not want to waste time on it. I disagree...It is that whole "we're number 1" mentality that prevents you guys getting behind it, I believe. IE You're not number 1 at this....YET! You could be, and probably will be.

No, it really isn't the 'we're #1' thing, it really is that we are not interested in it. It's that simple. In 10 years we will be no more interested in it than we are now. Now I'm not talking down about soccer, or trying to be insulting to it's fans, but I am pointing out a truth that it's not part of our culture or our identity. In fact it might be that one reason it is so uninteresting to most American's is that it's a totally foreign sport. We don't relate to any of it, and we don't see any of it either. If the US team won the world cup it'd be news for about a day. Then it would be forgotten about by the majority of the population. We wouldn't even know any players on the team. And that's fine, nothing says the entire world has to think one game is the end all and be all of the sporting world. Let the world have it's game, we'll enjoy ours.

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

No, it really isn't the 'we're #1' thing, it really is that we are not interested in it. It's that simple. In 10 years we will be no more interested in it than we are now. Now I'm not talking down about soccer, or trying to be insulting to it's fans, but I am pointing out a truth that it's not part of our culture or our identity. In fact it might be that one reason it is so uninteresting to most American's is that it's a totally foreign sport. We don't relate to any of it, and we don't see any of it either. If the US team won the world cup it'd be news for about a day. Then it would be forgotten about by the majority of the population. We wouldn't even know any players on the team. And that's fine, nothing says the entire world has to think one game is the end all and be all of the sporting world. Let the world have it's game, we'll enjoy ours.

Sorry, I disagree.

I have been here 20 years on and off, the last 16 of them living here.

The game is getting huge in this country. Once the kids/young adults that are playing now become the wage earners...You will see a large shift as it is their point of reference.

As to the let the world have its game....How can we enjoy our game when they employ American Football/baseball and hockey commentators to do it? Can you imagine watching the World Series and having people that obvioulsy neither know nor care commentating? {censored}in horrible!

I guess we shall agree to disagree on this one.

• Members

Sorry, I disagree.

I have been here 20 years on and off, the last 16 of them living here.

The game is getting huge in this country. Once the kids/young adults that are playing now become the wage earners...You will see a large shift as it is their point of reference.

I guess we shall agree to disagree on this one.

I know what you're saying, but that has been going on for the last 20 years. Soccer has been pushed on the kids forever in order to help the sport gain popularity. Problem is there is no infrastructure to support it outside of the college level, and there are no real professional leagues that matter here or that can offer careers to the top players. The US is too big for a one national team sport outside of the olympics to be lucrative at any level near what our pro sports are bringing in. Again, I'm not knocking the sport, but the youth have been pushed to accept soccer for as long as I can remember, and it's not changed a thing yet. I don't see the inevitable turn around happening either, but I guess we'll see!:cool:

• Members

You know why I don't watch soccer?

Cause every time some guy gets a little shin kick, he flops and then acts injured, cries like a little bitch for a while, stops play.... and then 1 minute later he's up and running again like nothing happened. {censored}in pussies!

• Members

Originally posted by fatfat

Cause every time some guy gets a little shin kick, he flops and then acts injured, cries like a little bitch for a while, stops play.... and then 1 minute later he's up and running again like nothing happened. {censored}in pussies!

Where do you think all those basketball players with the shorts that go below their knees learn from???

• Members
Originally posted by fatfat

We all hate that I can assure you!
No one says that they aren't pussies!!!!
:wave: :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by Hyphy

You guys are still talking about this crap? Man for a sport that doesn't matter, the fans really know how to talk about nothing and bore you to death.

Did you say something?
:bor: :bor: :bor: :bor: :bor: :bor:

• Members
Originally posted by Mesabooger

I finally really watched Rugby and paid attention.

I really don't feel like watching any NFL after that.

I'm not suprised soccer isn't huge in the US, but I am kinda suprised Rugby hasn't caught on more given there's some similarity to Grid Iron, and yanks seem to enjoy brutal full contact sports.

Even Canada whips the US's arse at rugby.:D:p

• Members

I hate soccer. A lot.

Ironic part about me: Loud noises are one of my pet peeves. I play guitar. This is just funny and weird. I'm a noisy person. But loud noises are something I hate. (Unless they're musical, I guess.)

So I was eating at some restaurant recently, and they had a TV. Every time there was a goal or something, people would scream -- Literally -- At the TOP of their lungs at the TV. While I was trying to eat. I nearly choked every time.

I ate half the plate and demanded a refund due to nonpaying assholes. You see, this restaurant was attached to a mall. And a group gathered to watch the TV in the restaurant... For free. So while I was paying to eat, these {censored}s were screaming their heads off at a TV they had no right to even be watching. :freak:

Ughughugh. :( At least I got (half) a meal for free.

I'm going to go watch episodes of My Little Pony now, screw you guys.

• Members

that whole diving things doesn't happen with english players and in the english leagues because we don't allow it.

It's just that pretty much all the temas who aren't english jsut cheat for the sake of winning. They're not bothered about sportsmanship or winning fair and square.

America should care about football you guys are gonna be so sick after freddy adu is included in the national team...

• Members
Originally posted by Happy_Thom

that whole diving things doesn't happen with english players and in the english leagues because we don't allow it.

It's just that pretty much all the temas who aren't english jsut cheat for the sake of winning. They're not bothered about sportsmanship or winning fair and square.

America should care about football you guys are gonna be so sick after freddy adu is included in the national team...

I heard today that Freddy Adu is considering taking up his option to play for Ghana seeing as he got snubbed by the USA...
NOW THAT WOULD BE FUNNY!
Diving? It's been a digrace this World Cup.
Before it started...the competition, I read all sorts of things.
1. FIFA said no players could wear jewellery, taped or otherwise....HOW MANY DID WE SEE?
2. Any player running up to a ref and begging for a card to be given to another would get one. YEAH RIGHT!
3. Diving would be punished with a card IF the ref gave no foul after a player went down, he would get a card for cheating. UH! HUH!? Hugo Viana anyone?
I could go on and on.
his World Cup has done more to {censored} the game than promote it.
NICE ONE SEPP.....Shame we couldn't send him home with Poll, Becks and Sven.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

I heard today that Freddy Adu is considering taking up his option to play for Ghana seeing as he got snubbed by the USA...

NOW THAT WOULD BE FUNNY!

Diving? It's been a digrace this World Cup.

Before it started...the competition, I read all sorts of things.

1. FIFA said no players could wear jewellery, taped or otherwise....HOW MANY DID WE SEE?

2. Any player running up to a ref and begging for a card to be given to another would get one. YEAH RIGHT!

3. Diving would be punished with a card IF the ref gave no foul after a player went down, he would get a card for cheating. UH! HUH!? Hugo Viana anyone?

I could go on and on.

his World Cup has done more to {censored} the game than promote it.

NICE ONE SEPP.....Shame we couldn't send him home with Poll, Becks and Sven.

:mad:

blatter should hang his head in shame.

btw, what did you think of the card maxi rodriguez got in the game against germany? i'm not sure it was a penalty, but I am also pretty sure it did not deserve a card for diving, certainly not compared to some of the other efforts in the tournament.

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

I'm not suprised soccer isn't huge in the US, but I am kinda suprised Rugby hasn't caught on more given there's some similarity to Grid Iron, and yanks seem to enjoy brutal full contact sports.

Even Canada whips the US's arse at rugby.
:D:p

Rugby big in the US!?!?! Haha, that'll be the day. Most kids parents would NEVER let them play rugby out of fear their little baby might get hurt. Hell, they banned dodgeball at many schools here. A simple spanking can land you in trouble with the law these days I hear. I'm surprised kids can still play football even, guess those pads give overprotective parents a little peace of mind or something.

• Members
Originally posted by Happy_Thom

Yeah, that Rooney character seems like a regular stand up kinda guy. :rolleyes:

Archived