I made a new pedal - NOT SPAM

• Members

This is just for me and I won't be selling any, so keep calm. ;)

finished.jpg

It's a BYOC Screamer kit, plus a 386-based booster. Left to right, top row first, the controls are Boost, Feedback, Sage (power supply current limiter for the Screamer board only - boost gets full power all the time). Bottom row are the three Screamer controls - Drive, Tone, Volume. Tasteful ruby to bronze racing stripes, as you can see, and a nice bright red LED. The toggle switches the mid boost in and out.

There's a build thread in the DIY forum (click me!) if anyone is interested.

It seems to do everything from clean boost to mild overdrive to BREWTAL SLUTBANGING GAIN, then fuzzes from thick, full near-synthy sounds to thin spluttery ones, broken zippery fuzzes and more. Plus the feedback knob lets you dial in howls and squeals as required, or with more subtle settings it seems to affect how the tone control functions.

• Members

Yes on all three counts. I was aiming to make some sort of "ultimate" overdrive/distortion with some inspiration from the Ultra Fuzz and Fuzz Factory. The feedback pot is set up as a 250k variable resistor between the input and output of the Screamer board (so the boost is not in the feedback path), and the sag pot is a pot set up as a 47k variable resistor in the 9v line to the Screamer board - as you say, to simulate a dying battery. That could do with being a lower value though - maybe 4.7k instead.

It was an awful lot of work, so while I might put together an outline schematic I don't really fancy making any more...

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

It was an awful lot of work, so while I might put together an outline schematic I don't really fancy making any more...

that's OK as long as i can get this one! :idea:

i just read the DIY thread and dan-o-guitar is right--it IS the ultimate TS! certainly the one i would choose out of all the variations out there. so how's the feedback? similar to the Ultra Fuzz's oscillating wildly?

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

so how's the feedback? similar to the Ultra Fuzz's oscillating wildly?

It's usually lower pitched than the UF puts out, but in a similar vein. Doesn't react to the guitar controls in the same way - I think the booster is isolating that to some extent, but it does do the ducking thing where while you're playing the feedback cuts out, then when you stop it splutters back into life. The pitch seems dependent on pretty much all the controls.

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

It's
usually
lower pitched than the UF puts out, but in a similar vein. Doesn't react to the guitar controls in the same way - I think the booster is isolating that to some extent, but it does do the ducking thing where while you're playing the feedback cuts out, then when you stop it splutters back into life. The pitch seems dependent on pretty much all the controls.

sounds really cool.
let me know if you want to trade for a taiwanese DS-1.
it's in excellent condition.
;)

• Members

you've got cool guitars, you've got a great amp, you've got a killer stand alone DAW...

...give us some clips man!!!

seriously though, it looks cool. i like seeing collectable, one-off, not quite polished, non-factory pedals. it fills my soul with hope!!!

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

you've got cool guitars, you've got a great amp, you've got a killer stand alone DAW...

...give us some clips man!!!

seriously though, it looks cool. i like seeing collectable, one-off, not quite polished, non-factory pedals. it fills my soul with hope!!!

I don't know what you'll be filled with if I manage to post pics of my BYOC Tri-Booster, but I suspect despair, or possibly mirth rather than hope. It's my birthday present, so I can't set about it until next week, when I'm off work, but meant to be helping with a house move.

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

That looks laverly. One question though: Why not have a footswitchable boost?

Two reasons; one I didn't want that much faff, two there wasn't room with the battery in there, and three (erm, two part two) the 386 tends to "interact" with whatever is before or after it so just turning it on and off would tend to have rather odd consequences.

Archived