vocal microphones, whata you use.

murphj1

• Members

anybody have to sing backup, the guys in my band insist i do. i have an akg something or other. its ghost powered and very inconsistant with volume as far as how close i am to it. i don't know alot about mics and i don't wanna over analyze it, so i thought i ask here in the effects forum. i'm thinking about just getting a trusty sm-58. input anyone?

• Members

I think the best sounding vocal mics out right now are the Audix OM series. The OM3 and the OM5, specifically. Nice, bright high frequency reproduction so you don't need to boost the highs on your EQ, and they are dynamic mics, so no need for phantom power. It also helps that they reject feedback 25db off axis on the OM3 and 30db off axis on the OM5. This means you can have LOUD monitors before feedback.

The Shure Beta 58 is a pretty darn good mic too, I prefer it to the standard 58. It's a little shrill in my opinion compared to the Audix, but both the Audix and the Beta smoke the standard 58 so bad it's not even funny, if you listen to them side by side.

• Members

When I started doing backing vocals I got a sm57 for practices and it worked out good. It does have some proximity effect though. The closer you get to the mic, the more bass is boosted. In regards to volume, its only logical that when you go further away from any mic the volume will decease. However, ther could be something wrong with akg your mic and the pickup pattern may not be correct or ideal for the use of live backing vocals.

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Hiller

I think the best sounding vocal mics out right now are the Audix OM series. The OM3 and the OM5, specifically. Nice, bright high frequency reproduction so you don't need to boost the highs on your EQ, and they are dynamic mics, so no need for phantom power. It also helps that they reject feedback 25db off axis on the OM3 and 30db off axis on the OM5. This means you can have LOUD monitors before feedback.

The Shure Beta 58 is a pretty darn good mic too, I prefer it to the standard 58. It's a little shrill in my opinion compared to the Audix, but both the Audix and the Beta smoke the standard 58 so bad it's not even funny, if you listen to them side by side.

Good points about the beta and audix mics. They are both hypercardoid mics which have a much tighter pattern that when placing the monitors correctly will be more immune to feedback at higher levels.

• Members

58's. I don't own one as I mainly record vocals with a big cheap condenser. I do own a 57 and I like them on vocals (snare, guitar cabs etc). So if you want a mic for vocals only 58, multi purpose 57.

• Members

I used to use a 58.

Right now I'm on a stint with a Sennheiser E855. Not sure if it's going to stick or not.

The 58 was warm and generally has less clarity than the Sennheiser, which is more bright and crisp, but seems to lack any of the 'warmth', if you know what I mean.

• Members

thank you, very helpful. dynamics is exactly what my mic lacks. there is a small window were the mic picks up. any movement at all and there is a huge volume loss. i know this is to be expected somewhat, but this is just ridiculous. its hard enough playing guitar, singing and working the g spot on a mic. again not alot of experience with vocal mics, infact this is my first. but i also get the the feeling i don't like the phantom power, in the same way i don't like active pickups and solid state amps. kind of a over processed fakeness to it. if that makes any sense.

• Members

Originally posted by Klisk

I used to use a 58.

Right now I'm on a stint with a Sennheiser E855. Not sure if it's going to stick or not.

Beta 87... clear as a bell, with a nice little airyness that sits in the mix very well and makes vocals nice and easy to listen to.

• Members

Originally posted by Mistersuperfly

Beta 87... clear as a bell, with a nice little airyness that sits in the mix very well and makes vocals nice and easy to listen to.

Any opinion on the Beta 58? I only tried the regular.

• Members

Sennhieser e945 - it has great feedback rejection and a very warm sound. It's an absolutly gorgous sounding vocal mic.

I have an Audix OS-3, it also has good feedback rejection but it is very high-endy and brittle sounding.

• Members

58s are good for vocals that lack a bit of bass.
The beta57 is the mic of choice in the british indie scene. Quite directional but it is a bit like the audix ones.

I really wanna try those om-3 and om-5 of audix. They sound really good and that 30db rejection on the om-5 ones is really good for monitors!

• Members

I've been using a sennheiser e835, I got an excellent deal on it, works good for my purposes, very warm and maintains signal quality when moving on and off axis..not that I really need that because all I have been using it for is recording....:)

• Members

I wish I had alot of experience with different mics but I dont all I use is a cheap shure pg48 and I know its cheap because I tried my friends other shure mic through my PA and it sounded a whole lot better better bassy tone or something it looked something like this (only thing I did not like about this mic is it had no on/off switch):beta57a.jpg
so when I get some money im gonna get me a more pricey mic

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

Sennhieser e945 - it has great feedback rejection and a very warm sound. It's an absolutly gorgous sounding vocal mic.

I have an Audix OS-3, it also has good feedback rejection but it is very high-endy and brittle sounding.

Audix mics have a lot better high-frequency response than an SM-58. The proper way to set up an Audix mic's eq is to set it flat and work from there. In my experience they are not brittle at all, but they will be if you set the treble control on your mixer like you would set it for an SM58. In my experience with Audix mics I have never needed to boost the treble on them, although I do move the parametric mid frequencies around to make room in the mix for vocals. The Audix's simply don't need any help on the high-end, as they have plenty on tap from the start. The Beta 58 is the same. Set them flat and they sound great.

I have never used that particular model of Sennheiser, although the local community college has a couple of them, and their front of house mix guy loves them.

• Members

I use a Beta 57

I used a SM58 before that (it's my backup now)

both are great mics and will get the job done in almost any situation as will a SM57

I had a Beta 87 and it was also a great mic, however it was not as good on small stages or high stage volume situations.

+1000 on Jon Hillers comment regarding starting with a flat EQ and then adding or subtracting what you need

Archived