ot: Fender Custom Shop Relic Series gtrs

• Members

holy balls.

one of my students showed up today with a new 63' ri relic strat.

fiesta red.

maple neck/maple board.

i have played piles of vintage and cs fenders.....but this one....it just had it.

i think im gonna say it......

it was the best fender i have ever played.

the entire neck was stripped of lacquer......nicely worn away. it felt so great. same w/ the fretboard, just a great player.

after i noodled on it, i immediately started searchin the net for possible relic'd teles.

holy balls.

• Members

Seems like they are hit and miss in quality, I played a few that were nothing to write home about and then a few others that were da bomb...my advice is play the one your gonna buy! It seems they sure charge alot for those beat up things!

• Members

+ 1 for checking every CS before buying :

I have a Closet Classic Strat '60, I love it whatever unplugged or not :love:

... and last summer I tryed the same model in NYC, it was on sale at 1500 $, which is not expensive for a CS Fender, but sounded and played like CRAP

• Members

I don't like the principle of relic'ed guitars. Unless you own something like a 1962 Jazzmaster that someone has clear coated or spray painted and you want an original looking finish.

New guitars, relic'ed is a bit odd don't you think? Like plastic surgery in reverse for guitars, something a bit fake about it.

Of couse I don't doubt the quality of the Custom Shop guitars, I just don't see why someone wouldn't then just go for the NOS or Closet line...

• Members

i doubt both the quality of CS strats (as a previous owner) and the point of relic'd guitars.

ok, i get them as a fashion statement, but really why not just play the guitar. to me relicing always seems to be a way to make the guitar in the case look like has done gigs, given that the owner can barely even play.

harsh? sure!

i've played a lot of CS guitars, quite a lot. for my money they are just not a good investment. a masterbuilt is better, but the money is stupid. much better to go with a smaller luthier.

CS is just a brand, it doesn't really mean anything, you are still buying a factory guitar, with all the compromises that brings.

• Members

Why - because in many peoples opinion they feel better, that's why. They are a nicer instrument to play than a new guitar.

And why the {censored} should someone have to play for 30 years to make the guitar feel how they want it to?

Personally, I'd just buy an old guitar anyway, becaue they cost about the same and I like the feel of a guitar that's been played for a while. But if someone offered me a relic I wouldn't turn that down either.

• Members

Originally posted by bentley

I just don't see why someone wouldn't then just go for the NOS or Closet line...

I love the Closet line, because I dont like when the wood of Fenders headstock and neck are too "white"

With the Closet thing, its that dark yellow that we all now and love

+ the general aspect is not "shiny new", which i dislike, there's slight crackles in the paint...

I wanted that feeling, and couldnt afford a 1960 Strat :D

:love::wave:

• Members

I agree that relic'd guitars are kinda pointless. Reminds me of buying jeans that are already ripped to shreads, or a baseball glove that was worn out before it got to the shelves.

The closet classic ones are the only ones I would go for, as I like to wear my stuff out myself. Surely you can find a new or used guitar that plays nicely without having it dolled up to look like a 35 year old guitar mangled from constant use.

If somebody wants to use one, fine, but I too don't 'get' it. If you want a guitar that looks like its 30 years old, pony up and buy one that actually is.

• Members

right but how much do they go for

wait, who the fck as a student gets a relic to learn on?

In the ballpark of $2g.

He's in his early 20's, and is about to ship off to the airforce. he wanted to score himself a nice guitar before he left.

can't blame him.

something is fishy in this story....

your friend student showed up with a relic strat....then you go searching for relic teles ?

im not a strat guy in general.....but a relic tele.....now were talkin.

:D

I don't like the principle of relic'ed guitars.

i was under the same frame of mind. i just didnt like the idea. but as time goes on, i feel a stronger attachment to 'vintage' pieces, that have that worn in/broken in feeling. even some vintage pieces can't pull it off......so to think that there are new production models that can feel THAT great.....i was impressed.

And why the {censored} should someone have to play for 30 years to make the guitar feel how they want it to?

+1 to everything you had to say.

i agree, i'd rather buy the vintage equivalent, but in my students case....a 63' fiesta red strat, for $2g.......not gonna happen :)

• Members

Not for me...I think of a favourite guitar as though it's a fine woman...

...you don't want them broken in by someone else and have all the cracks showing...and pay double for it...

...you want that bitch worn down over 30 years by you, so it's a comfy fit for your hands, and only your hands...

...so nobody else wants her or can appreciate her true nature beneath her battered looks. Beaten and worn down so badly that no amount of make-up, cosmetic enhancements or dentistry will cover up the years of tormented enslavement...

...nothing left but the lonely wail of a whithered, kept whore with only flickering memories of what it was to be shiney, sexy and new, and clinging to the only thing left in her life that might break the endless misery...

...being buried in her master's cold, clammy, arthritic hands.:cry:

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Not for me...I think of a favourite guitar as though it's a fine woman...

...you don't want them broken in by someone else and have all the cracks showing...and pay double for it...

...you want that bitch worn down over 30 years by you, so it's a comfy fit for your hands, and only your hands...

...so nobody else wants her or can appreciate her true nature beneath her battered looks. Beaten and worn down so badly that no amount of make-up, cosmetic enhancements or dentistry will cover up the years of tormented enslavement...

...nothing left but the lonely wail of a whithered, kept whore with only flickering memories of what it was to be shiney, sexy and new, and clinging to the only thing left in her life that might break the endless misery...

...being buried in her master's cold, clammy, arthritic hands.
:cry:

Standing ovation!

Archived