Well-priced, open sounding, aggressive overdrives?

• Members

So the Boss SD-1 style OD loses too much bottom end, and a Tubescreamer style OD isn't aggressive enough. I'm looking for suggestions for overdrives that can make a JCM800 scream without losing any low end. They cannot be too expensive though.

Should I check out the Bad Monkey?:confused:

• Members

Hmm... I'd probably be willing to spend up to $150. But hopefully around $75, give or take. Basically I want something common and well priced, no Klon Centaurs or original TS-808s or anything - not that those would be good choices for this application.

I'm using the ZW-44 right now. It's pretty similar to an SD-1 in that it's nice and aggressive, yet cuts off low end. As far as low end is concerned, I want it to be pretty much transparent.

The guitar is a Les Paul Special (and I want to hear every ounce of low end it has going through the overdrive and into the amp). It has Duncan JB and Jazz pickups right now but I might change them back to the original pickups, which were really crunchy and bassy.

• Members

also, by aggressive i definitely don't mean scooped midrange with lots of gain. I just want it to make the amp growl and crunch a bit while essentially being a clean boost. The ZW-44 is really great at this, if that helps. The settings I use are volume 10, tone 4 to 5, gain 2 to 3.

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Maybe a Catalinbread Super Poblano Picoso Boost? It's a dirty boost that adds some low end and grit. Or a Super Charged Overdrive. Aggressive, open and nice low end.

Yep, I was gonna suggest the SCOD. I play a Les Paul thru a Marshall JMP 100w and the SCOD is definitely aggressive and gritty.

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Maybe a Catalinbread Super Poblano Picoso Boost? It's a dirty boost that adds some low end and grit. Or a Super Charged Overdrive. Aggressive, open and nice low end.

+1

Check out the Keeley Katana Clean Boost as well.

If you want clear (fidelity) on your bottom end and clarity, you need something "boutique" -- simply for the quality of the electronic components. That's how you're going to keep your fidelity.

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

Hmm... I'd probably be willing to spend up to $150. But hopefully around $75, give or take. .

There are a ton of them you could try if you're willing to spend up to $150. Since everybody's taste is different and your specific combination of pickups, amp, and speakers have a lot to do with how the pedal will sound, it might be worth it to you to take a chance on a used pedal to see exactly what it sounds like and sell it off if it's not close enough to what you want until you strike gold. TubeWorks Real Tube, Xotic BB or AC, the Caitlinbread pedals already mentioned, Hotcake, etc. I recommend staying away from the big manufacturers like Boss, Ibanez, DOD, Digitech, etc. You might take your amp and guitar to a store that has a few boutique od pedals on a slow day when they might let you try several. It's been all about trial and error for me.

• Members

Tried out a Visual Sound Route 66 OD/Compressor today. It might have the sound you are looking for. It had a wide variety of drive tones, some of which were very aggressive. There was definitely a lot of low end in the tone. Another patron in the store walked up to me and told me it was the best dirt box he had ever used. User reviews here on H-C are extremely complimentary. These seem to sell for around $130 new.

• Members

Originally posted by miles mayhem

Tried out a Visual Sound Route 66 OD/Compressor today. It might have the sound you are looking for. It had a wide variety of drive tones, some of which were very aggressive. There was definitely a lot of low end in the tone. Another patron in the store walked up to me and told me it was the best dirt box he had ever used. User reviews here on H-C are extremely complimentary. These seem to sell for around $130 new.

+1 I Love mine

vs_route_66.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by miles mayhem

you may also want to try the jekyll & hyde. same ts clone as the route 66 plus a more metal-ish od instead of the comp.

Archived