how well would a bass head work as a power amp?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

for guitar?

It's a GK1001RB bass head, solidstate, which is not our preference of course, but with the proper pre could this work?

Its gonna be heavy stuff sort of in the veign of Jesu and bands like Achilles, Craw, and Engineer... We are going to plug into the effects return, how much is this and the fact that its a bass head going to negatively affect the tone? Or would the fact that its solidstate have more impact? Because thats something we could live with

I figured all the crazy stoners and creative "jerry-riggers" that hide out here were the best ones to ask, heh :thu:

• Members

I've been playing through this old bass head for over 20 years with no problems at all, plug a guitar cab into it for guitar and a bass cab into it for bass playin'. I use it just like a guitar head, no weird "bass head issues" the preamp sounds great, the EQ works just like any other amp. 100 watts, solid state 1979 goodness, nice overdrive with the preamp gain turned up.l2head.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by joncyberboy

I'd use a Big Muff with it and a nice 4x12. Or if i was using the loop i'd just use a PODxt and tweak away.

Thats sorta what I'm gonna do... I don't know about the muff, because I'm not a fuzz fan, but I'm thinking of getting a V-Amp because thats what these guys used (for the songs "I am" and below) and thier tone crushes... Abominable Iron Sloth is another type of band we'd like to incorporate and although we'd be a lot more spacey, I think a V-Amp would be perfect for that type of thing...

Archived