OT: Converting gif/jpg to graphic format?

fuzzbox

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I'd pick a printer and ask them - most likely they'll be able to work with whatever you have, or they'll be able to tell you what they can use. Otherwise you'll be going round in circles.

I did, he said it can't be jpg, gif's etc...has to be "real" graphic font format, he showed me in Illustrator. They charge like $40 to convert it so I just figured I could do it myself...somehow!

• Members

They probably want something in vector format. Here is a crash course in bitmap vs. vector:

Bitmap is just like it sounds - the file basically details what color each dot is. .jpg, .gif, .png, and .bmp are a few examples of bitmap formats.

Vector means it uses algorithms/coordinates to plot lines/shapes.

The reason they want vector graphics is because there is no loss of quality when you increase the size - when you increase a bitmap file, you are basically enlarging the dots. With vector graphics, it just redraws it at a higher resolution. For printing, you need to usually have at least 150 dots per inch - preffered is 300+. Screens display at around 72 dpi (dots per inch), so if it looks small on your screen, it is going to have to be even smaller in print. Depending on their printing, text will come out looking spotty around the edges if a bitmap format is used without extremely high resolution.

I work at a newspaper - you wouldn't believe the stuff people send us to use in print (for advertising). They think we can magically enlarge it, when in reality, there is nothing we can do (we usually only have 15-30 minutes to spend designing an ad, so we don't have a whole lot of time to do "extra" work).

• Members

Part of the issue's going to be what the logo is.

If it's just type, they may want art with the logo set in the typeface, using a pre-drawn font by Adobe, ect.

If it's art (like a picture, or hand drawn logotype) they may want it to be redrawn as vectors. But the art might not lend itself to that.

They may be saying "give us an EPS file", in which case you could just save it out as an EPS bitmap.

But when they say "Give us a "real" graphics format, that's not very helpfull. More snotty and posturing.

JPG isn't my favourite, but most Stock Photo houses deliver in JPG, and any Digital Camera shoots in JPG, so a lot of pro work has gone through the JPG format.

Then I usually save to Tiff (mostly) or EPS.

So I guess there's two questions:

1. Is it one, two or more colors.

2. Ask the printer if he's asking for a vector file (like Thrash123 described) or if a high res Tiff will work.

• Members

Originally posted by Thrash123

I work at a newspaper - you wouldn't believe the stuff people send us to use in print (for advertising). They think we can magically enlarge it, when in reality, there is nothing we can do (we usually only have 15-30 minutes to spend designing an ad, so we don't have a whole lot of time to do "extra" work).

++

the "you can download the logo from our web site" ones are worst.

i'm supposed to print a 100x60 graphic at 300 dpi, right :rolleyes:

• Members

it's not a straightforward conversion, it has to be traced. unless it's a really big .gif or .jpg, your best bet is probably to pay the $40 or hire your own graphic artist to trace or redraw it.

it's not just clicking a 'convert' button, there is some art involved in setting the tracing parameters.

• Members

Heh, we've had people send us stuff printed out from their home computers (or FAXED) that they want us to scan. Sad thing is, sometimes, we actually have to go with that. I do as much work on it as I can, but.. Ugh.

Anyway, it just occured to me that Inkscape may be able to trace it and save in a .eps format (which is probably what they want). Google it. I'm busy :)

• Members

I didn't bother reading this whole thread so someone may have mentioned this. Open your jpg (Which should be high resolution to start with. If it's not 300 dpi or more, it will look bad) and hit print. A dialog box should appear, choose print to PDF and your done. Illustrator will open a pdf file and be just as tweakable in the right hands as an ai file. However, a silkscreen shop should take a high rez jpg if it's just one color.

• Members

They can probably take an EPS as well. But yeah what they want is your graphic with all the fonts 'vectorized' .

Think of it this way... when you type something out, Illustrator treats it as text -- you can change fonts, sizes, add bolds, italics (just like you'd do in a word processing program).

But when you convert that type to vectors, you can't change the font or text of that 'set of words' or whatever you just typed.

When you do this conversion to vectors, it basically creates outlines of the font. These outlines are actually being stored as a set of mathmatical formulas... so (as already mentioned) you can resize it without loss of quality. But at this point they are merely outlines that define shapes that LOOK like type/fonts.

One of the reasons they want you to do that is so that they don't have to have the font loaded on their machine.

I wonder if you send them a gif that was created at 300dpi and the dimensions (in inches) that is needed, if they'd be ok with it.

Archived