What use do I have for my goddamned chorus?!

inlifeisdeath

• Members

Greetings all,

I've had my cheap, but nice Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus for quite some time already. Used to enjoy jangling around with it.

But nowadays, I realise that I hardly use it. Or more that I don't know what to do with the chorus.

I'd appreciate some nice songs that utilise heavy chorus, or some suggestions with regards to an enjoyable experience with a chorus.

I'll try to make it work for me, to rediscover the joy of the chorus, of which prompted me to purchase it ages ago.

If all else fails, I'll just let it go.

Thanks all for reading, cheers!

• Members

if God has indeed damned that chorus, you will have to use it with slayer songs if you want it to work out right

seriously though, chorus is one of those things you either like or you dont. I dont mind it every now & then, but I hate listening to bands where everything played clean has gobs of chorus on it.

for some rocking chorus listen to "fight like a brave" by chili peppers (i think thats chorus/distortion) also, doesnt "plush" by STP have a chorus on the distortion?

anyway, i didnt mind chorus on all the cleans when it was the police because andy seemed to write such tasty stuff and it worked

• Members

If you don't why you want or need chorus then better you not have it ... I personally love chorus and flanger/phaser etc ... but then I have a very specific use for it in my music and know exactly what my needs are. If you want some inspiration about WHY chorus is so great - go listen to the opening guitar work on Shine on youe crazy Diamond.

• Members
Originally posted by fishfartz

seriously though, chorus is one of those things you either like or you dont. I dont mind it every now & then, but I hate listening to bands where everything played clean has gobs of chorus on it.

WHenever i play anything clean it always has chorus, it just sounds better :)

• Members

Chorus can definitely be nice if you tweak it so it doesn't sound like a power ballad. Either go for very subtle chorus sounds or vibrato sounds. Or as someone else said, add some delay, playing a Strat or a Tele or something, and you're in like flynn. Though I think flanger is even better for that, depending on the flanger.

• Members
Originally posted by Junkhead

WHenever i play anything clean it always has chorus, it just sounds better
:)

I know lots that do that. I guess its not too bad live, but when recording if you are trying to capture that pure bell-like strat tone or something I think chorus can kill a good thing

but there are plenty of times where it works well, I just cant listen to bands that use it all the time on cleans.....

• Members

i used to own the dano cool cat and maybe its your pedal cause like someone said here before it sounds "watery" and this is the reason i dont care for it and got rid of it but maybe try switching chorus pedals? im waiting for some cash to get me one but im not in a hurry to get one anyways since it is just a kind of a more pepper and salt in your food but not a hot sauce distortion, but i love chorus but only when it comes made in the amp it seems...

Archived