How did you join/start your current band?

CicadaSilence

• Members

I've been bored out of my mind with music lately, and I think that getting back into a band is the only thing I can do to get interested again. The only guys I know in my area who play anything remotely resembling the stuff that I'm into are mostly guys from my last band, and I'm not sure I want to start up another project with them.

So I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any novel approaches to finding musicians to play with.

Plus I'm sure some of the stories are entertaining in and of themselves. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

that seems pretty complicated.

put up an ad for once for a drummer but otherwise i've always played w/ friends.

or friends of friends.

It was really my only option. I don't like to go to bars, so I never got any connections.

• Members

I played in a local band.. I spotted some guys that were 10 times the musicians that my current band was... I knew my band was gonna {censored} soon...

I sat and waited... worked my mojo... and got some serious, great guys to play with....

• Members

i started it way for a secondary school prom; then there was this battle of the band's contest, which i decided to join... and roped in the same guys, cept that we got someone else to sing... that didn't work out.. till last year, i realised i've got a pretty talented singer-songwriter friend and she's sick of playing alone. so we went with her, tentatively with the old drummer... he stuck on after hitting on her, and now they're together. the bass + other guitar player are friends of hers; keyboards + me + drummer were the original members. that said, we have 3 girls, 3 guys.

• Members
Originally posted by flake

i started it way for a secondary school prom; then there was this battle of the band's contest, which i decided to join... and roped in the same guys, cept that we got someone else to sing... that didn't work out.. till last year, i realised i've got a pretty talented singer-songwriter friend and she's sick of playing alone. so we went with her, tentatively with the old drummer... he stuck on after hitting on her, and now they're together. the bass + other guitar player are friends of hers; keyboards + me + drummer were the original members. that said, we have 3 girls, 3 guys.

Dang. You've got a Fleetwood Mac thing going on there. :D

• Members

i went to a bar once.

seemed like the people were just there to get drunk.

:(

Well that's a chin-scratcher.:confused:

:idea:

Anyway, I'v never been in a band. I've only done about a dozen jam sessions with a few guys. Seems like a good way to start a band, but I know meeting the guys in the first place is the hard part. I've always wanted to do a thing where just a few bands get together and play for each other. Just a big jam thing that you do for each other and the music. Seems like a cool, although sometimes impractical idea, but I'd still like to try it.:)

• Members
Originally posted by CicadaSilence

Dang. You've got a Fleetwood Mac thing going on there.
:D

it's quite funny when he gets protective over her when we have our little banters... but we're all young and so we're just growing together as a band, our styles just developing together. kinda fun too!

• Members
Originally posted by ScreamCage

Well that's a chin-scratcher.
:confused:

Anyway, I'v never been in a band. I've only done about a dozen jam sessions with a few guys. Seems like a good way to start a band, but I know meeting the guys in the first place is the hard part. I've always wanted to do a thing where just a few bands get together and play for each other. Just a big jam thing that you do for each other and the music. Seems like a cool, although sometimes impractical idea, but I'd still like to try it.
:)

ever see the Later with Jools Holland?

cool music show featuring everyone from Sonic Youth to Herbie Hancock to The Roots.
the bands are set up in a circle and at the beginning they show one band starting a grove, then they pan over to band 2 who lock into that grove, etc.
kinda neat.

• Members

ever see the Later with Jools Holland?

cool music show featuring everyone from Sonic Youth to Herbie Hancock to The Roots.

the bands are set up in a circle and at the beginning they show one band starting a grove, then they pan over to band 2 who lock into that grove, etc.

kinda neat.

That's pretty cool. I guess I remember hearing something about that, but as we all know, I'm full of it. Although, I did think up the theory of realitivity without even hearing about the wanker Einstein. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does.:rolleyes:

I was looking Jools Holland up on IMDB, and it lists tons of amazing bands who've played on that show. It's still going. Do you know which network it airs on?

• Members

That's pretty cool. I guess I remember hearing something about that, but as we all know, I'm full of it. Although, I did think up the theory of realitivity without even hearing about the wanker Einstein. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does.
:rolleyes:

well, as time is relative you can still claim it as your own theory!

I was looking Jools Holland up on IMDB, and it lists tons of amazing bands who've played on that show. It's still going. Do you know which network it airs on?

BBC2
i used to watch it on BBC World when i was still in europe.
not sure if it's on BBC America.
but yeah--cool musicians and really diverse.

• Members

well, as time is relative you can still claim it as your own theory!

I know! That's what I told the people at the Nobel Foundation, but they totally blew me off. I was as pissed off as Hell, and if you've ever taken a wee in Hell, you know that's not saying "hey, I'm kinda angry, I guess"!

BBC2

i used to watch it on BBC World when i was still in europe.

not sure if it's on BBC America.

but yeah--cool musicians and really diverse.

Now that I'm in South America, BBC World is the only BBC that I have. I haven't heard anyhting about it though.

• Members

I know! That's what I told the people at the Nobel Foundation, but they totally blew me off. I was as pissed off as Hell, and if you've ever taken a wee in Hell, you know that's not saying "hey, I'm kinda angry, I guess"!

Now that I'm in South America, BBC World is the only BBC that I have. I haven't heard anyhting about it though.

what are you doing in SA? where are you?

it was on weekends. kinda late. wait...even "later." ;);)

get it?

"later."

;);)

well...

relatively speaking.

• Members

what are you doing in SA? where are you?

it was on weekends. kinda late. wait...even "later."
;);)

get it?

"later."

;);)

well...

relatively speaking.

My parents and my family are missionaries to Bolivia. We just got here about 2 monthes three weeks ago. I'm living here until I go back to the states for college. It's actually pretty exciting. There are amazing opportunies here, especially to help people.

Anyway, I need to start looking for Tarde con Jools Holland.

• Members

My parents and my family are missionaries to Bolivia. We just got here about 2 monthes three weeks ago. I'm living here until I go back to the states for college. It's actually pretty exciting. There are amazing opportunies here, especially to help people.

Anyway, I need to start looking for Tarde con Jools Holland.

enjoy it.
living in a foreign country is a great opportunity--even with all those things you dislike about it.
i've lived in 3 foreign countries:

1. austria.
2. USA, which was like a foreign country after being in austria 11 years.
3. NYC, which is like a foreign country when coming from the rest of the US.

• Members

enjoy it.

living in a foreign country is a great opportunity--even with all those things you dislike about it.

i've lived in 3 foreign countries:

1. austria.

2. USA, which was like a foreign country after being in austria 11 years.

3. NYC, which is like a foreign country when coming from the rest of the US.

That's funny. It reminds me of a guy who came down about a month ago for school credit. He said that he now had only 2 continents left to visit. so I say "oh, have you been to Australia?". He says "oh, three"...All that means is that he's left America. That's one of the biggest Captain Obvious moments I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

anyway, as far as thing I don't like here, I was just watching a British soap about a lesbian teenager, and then for no apparent reason, a latin mock up of the "Born to be Alive" video comes on. It's just a portly latino man singer in front of a psychedelic background. There were also have naked latin women dancing with trench...coats...on...Wait, did I say thing I didn't like?

:confused:

Now I'm watching Euro Trash on I-Sat.

• Members

I ditched my old drummer because, well, you dont just stop 5 times in a night, and look at ME to figure out the count.

Was bandless bout a month. Similar thing happened to a good dude of mine. He posted an ad on backpage, had a very truthful, professional attitude.

Band picked him up, tried him out. Loved his attitude, though he wasnt sure why the hell the lead singer looked so familliar. Asked if he knew any guitarists of his caliber

Calls me up. I come out next day, audition, passed their test, and the next week we were handed a record contract lol.

So now we practice 8-10hours+ 2-3 times a week while we get some legal {censored} sorted out.

Archived