Is the Rocktron Xpression produced with the defect?

separanets

• Members

I was meaning to get the Rocktron Xpression, but having read the reviews, I'm afraid that I may buy a black cat in the sack.

The problem with the Xpression seems to be well known, thus I can conclude that during some time past, the bug must be already fixed. So I wonder if they (Rocktron's staff) have now become to produce normal Xpression pieces. Does anyone know what goes on about that issue these days?

• Members

Here's the reviews http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Rocktron/Xpression/10/1

I'll cite some statements:

* * * But this unit have something bad. I contacted Jim at Rocktron and he told me that it's probably a problem with SRAM chips. It does crackling, poping, etc. There's loud sounds poping from the unit that seem like blasting popcorns in reverb. This makes the unit unusable. But the tech I contacted told me that I just have to send the deffective unit back to the company and they will post me a new one. Seems like a bunch of theses units has the same problem and the company replaces those with that kind of problem. * * *

---

Sincerely, I am a little worry to use it a lot in gigs and suddenly doing some popcorn noises... Probably the new one I will get from Rocktron will be a recently built unit so no tendencies to do the same problem again.

I must say first of all that this unit has great sounding effects. I like the fact that this unit gives you full control over the modulation of the effects. This is a big plus with me. I?ve read about some problems with the noise suppression, however, I don?t really need it and probably wouldn?t use it.

Here?s why the ?1?. This unit emits crackling/popping sounds. I spent several hours trying to find the source. I discovered that it does it even when there is no input plugged into the unit. I?ve ruled out any problems with my system by plugging the unit into my bass player?s amp. Same noises. These noises are unacceptable as they are loud and make this unit unusable.

This is where things go bad. I must have gotten a lemon. 19 of the 128 patches make a terrible popping sound every 3 to 5 seconds. This is the second product that I have purchased from Rocktron that has failed miserably. The prophesy was the first unit which gave me trouble. Luckily I was able to return that unit for a full refund.

• Members

Just buy an old Rocktron Replifex instead!:D I like Rocktron rack gear but IMO their older gear seems to be there best gear and each new version loses something in the transition. Of course, the same could be said for a few other effects companies out there today as well.

• Members

rocktron USA stuff = awesome

rocktron taiwan/Korea stuff = {censored}

I've had one Asian Rocktron, it had a squeeling glich when I turned it on for about 5 seconds.

I've had a few USA rocktrons with no trouble at all.

The USA stuff is professional gear. Don't let the post-ghs-buyout buyers/users convince you the old stuff isn't good.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

The USA stuff is professional gear. Don't let the post-ghs-buyout buyers/users convince you the old stuff isn't good.
:thu:

Absolutely. Both my Intellifex LTD and Replifex have been in my rack for years. I think both are mid-90's vintage and they really are bullet proof even after years of gigging. Great warm tone, low noise, lots of tweakability, and a real steal in the used market. Great tone will always be great tone!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by gatordoc

Absolutely. Both my Intellifex LTD and Replifex have been in my rack for years. I think both are mid-90's vintage and they really are bullet proof even after years of gigging. Great warm tone, low noise, lots of tweakability, and a real steal in the used market. Great tone will always be great tone!
:thu:

couldn't agree more.

• Members

Originally posted by separanets

Thanks I did know they were made in Asia now. Well, I'll look for an Intellifex or Replifex, but can you tell me which is better? Or I may need both?

You need both!:D

It depends. The Intellifex basically has only reverbs, delays, and chorus (up to 8 voice). The delays and reverbs are REALLY good. Very deep and warm. The chorus is also nice but the factory presets are very wet so you need to tweak the parameters to dial in the tone you want. If you only want these 3 effects then I'd go with the Intellifex.

The Replifex has compression, EQ, delays, reverb, tremolo, phaser, flanger, chorus, rotary speaker, and a few others. Essentially it's more of a modulation multi-effects box. IMO, the Intellifex has better delays and reverbs whereas the Replifex has pretty much everything else. The reverbs/delays are still plenty good though, so if you want the other effects as well in one box then the Replifex is a good way to go.

I like using some of the Replifex factory preset effects combinations along with the reverbs/delays of the Intellifex. Great sounds in both boxes.

• Members

Oh , that's important, thanks. But I was meaning to buy some Yamaha rack rever separately, like REV5 maybe, or R100 or something. Now I think since the order of effects in my case must follow like this: Reverb, Chorus, Delay and the rest is Flanger, Tremolo, etc., I think I need the Intellifex. However, if I get a separate rack reverb I'll need the Relifex.

I could really buy two boxes, but it might be comlicated still to handel both. They unfirtunatelly have external power adapetrs.

• Members

Originally posted by separanets

Ok, I found something. What does
Rocktron Intellifex on-line
stand for?

Thanks.

The on-line was the final version of the Intellifex. If I remember correctly, you could download factory presets directly from your computer into the on-line version. However, I downloaded software from the Rocktron site that enables you to download any of their settings into your computer and then into any version of the Intellifex using the right cable. I have never actually used the software yet because I prefer to tweak my own presets the way I want them. But I have it stored in memory just in case.

• Members

Does this mean that the Intellifex on-line costs more than the ordinary Intellifex? I find this on-line function to be totally useless if there's any other way to load new presets into the device. I wouldn't like to overpay for this feature.

In addition it's made in Korea as I saw that on the far side.

• Members

Originally posted by Gary Ladd

What's the difference between the normal Intellifex and the Intellifex LTD?
:confused:

Here's the story on pretty much all the rcokton units...I copied this from another forum:

There are essentially two Rockton units 1) The Replifex and the Intellifex. Then Rocktron released their "Studio Series" where Replifex spawned the Multivalve which is the same as the Replifex but with a tube stage for adding some low-fi grit to the sound and the Intellifex spawned the Intelliverb which had more memory and a faster processor for studio reverb applications.

Rocktron stopped production of the Replifex and then about 4 years ago brought it back out under the name Xpression.

So the Replifex/Multivalve/Xpression are the same units except the Multivalve has the added tube stage.

The Replifex and it's spawn are designed to be a host of programable stomp boxes. It does very well what most guitarists look for in effects: 2 voice chorus/flange, phaser, tremolo, leslie, panner, delay and reverb. It has a great internal mixer which enables you to route the modulations into the delay and reverb without having them in the dry signal. A phase shifted reverb without a phaser on your guitar is a very interesting sound. The leslie is one of the better ones out there. It does not do complex delays but does do tap-tempo delays with each channel being able to do a different rhythm than the other. The reverb is ok - good for guitar but not lush enough for much else. It has a single voice pitch shifter. It's a great modulation processor and for many players the only effect unit that they need. It has spillover for both delay and reverb.

The Intellifex had a number of variations: The original or "Black Face" which had a different DSP chip than all others, the LTD and "Online" both red and black face varieties had different factory presets but the same guts. The Intellifex XL had more memory so it has longer delay times and an EQ section but again, the same guts as the other models.

The Intelliverb has the same algorhythms as the Intellifex but longer delay times and a much better/complex reverb only algorhythm. It also has better pitch than the Intellifex due to it's faster processor.

The Intellifex/Intelliverb does: modulated delays of up to 8 voices (be they short chorus/flange or long modulated), up to 4 voice pitch shift, ducking delays, and reverb with a number of algorhythms combing those effects. It's a delay/pitch/reverb processor. The 8 voice chorus is wonderful and gives you the "Allan Holdsworth" sound as well as a host of other swirly effects. The delays are quite nice and have high damping. The ducking delay is addictive. It does not have tap-tempo. The pitch is good and the reverb is more than usable for guitar with the Intelliverb being not going to replace the Lexicon PCM91 in your studio but still darned nice. There is no spillover with these units.

They are all excellent. They have their weaknesses, but for their intended uses are still highly regarded.

• Members

Rocktron used to have a page on their web site explaining the difference between the old Intellifex and the LTD. The LTD was supposed to be an upgraded version of the blackface in that they made several internal structural improvements. Some components were moved away from the outside walls and others attached differently in order to make the rack unit supposedly more road worthy. That said, I've never heard of anyone complaining that the original Intellifex wasn't durable enough for the road. Both are tough units all the way around.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Finally got an Intellifex LTD. Reverbs, delays are yes, cool (may be the same as in my Voody Valve), but the chorus just blew me away. It has a tone like, I don't know how to describe it, a professional tone or a sort of sound I usually hear on heavy metal live performances in stadiums. Just gives the 3d dimension to the sound. And reverbs do too.

I have or had processors like Roland GP-100, Yamaha SPX 90, and others, but the sound of the Intellifex seems to me more pro or something.

It's interesting to compare it to the Voodo Valve's effects.

Archived