Roland XV-5080 vs Korg Triton Rack?

tangerine

• Members

I am looking for a new racksynth and I am going to use it mostly as a piano and Electric piano module.

XV-5080 or Triton Rack the best?

I cant find any good demos out on the net showing good Electric pianos and Pianos.

Please help me out! give me your opinions good and bad please.

:)

• Members

Isn't a Nord Electro a better choice then?

Anyway, the XV can handle SRX expansions, and there are both dedicated piano and electric piano expansions with the full ROM dedicated to just those sounds.

Anyway, both manufacturers have their specific sound character; it's probably a good idea to test drive a Fantom and Triton respectively (which are in keyboard form way easier to find at your local music store), the racks shouldn't sound much different from those.

• Members

Yes I have tested them but I need your opinions about the bad and the good about them.

I am not only going to play acoustic piano and rhodes piano sounds, synth sounds and some good old Pads and so on.

Like them very much so it is hard to choose you know.

:)

• Members

I have both a loaded Fantom XR & Triton Rack... Of course you're asking about the XV5080, which I've owned and sold because of upgrading...

The XV5080 has some very cool bread & butter sounds, especially when expanded with those SRX Boards, plus those classic Roland synth tones... Then on top of this, it's backwards compatible with the older Roland JV/XP synths... Plus not to mention it reads Akai/Roland sample cds, so there really is no weak points in the sound department, since it's so darn flexible...

I only upgraded to the Fantom XR because it has a larger Wave ROM, better converters, re-worked effects, + 6 SRX slots...

The Triton Rack has a different sound pallette altogether and of course that infamous Korg signature sound... Like flat earth stated before, it's strong points are moving atmospheric pads, plus it has strong orchestral strings, usable drums, progammable dual arpeggiator, 8 PCM Expansion slots, plus that awesome MOSS DSP Board...

Personally I would go for both because I'm a big Roland/Korg fan, and there strong points pretty much voids the bad...

Good luck with that decision...

• Members

Pianos and EPs are not strong in either the XV-5080 ot Triton Rack by themselves without expansion. I'd suggest widening your search to include a Motif ES Rack, another Big Three all-purpose module with much better pianos, and not much more price-wise...(seen 'em under 8 bills frequently these days).

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Pianos and EPs are not strong in either the XV-5080 ot Triton Rack by themselves without expansion. I'd suggest widening your search to include a Motif ES Rack, another Big Three all-purpose module with much better pianos, and not much more price-wise...(seen 'em under 8 bills frequently these days).

LOL!!

Forget he was talking mainly about pianos & eps... The Motif ES Rack would be a good choice or the Fantom XR... He could still purchase the XV5080 and grab those cheap Roland L-CDX CDs to expand the palette...

Archived