ehx pulsar opinions?

johnrambo

• Members

Has anyone had a chance to play with one of those new micro stereo pulsar's? I can't decide whether to buy one or wait til other people buy them and sell of their old pulsars on ebay. What's the purpose of the pedal being stereo? Does it simply split the signal or is there some sort of panning action?

• Members

Does anyone think we will see an increase in the amount of used ehx pedals on ebay now that the nano pedals are being released? Will this drive prices down or no? Personally, I like the style of big flimsy boxes they use on the pulsar and big muff and would like to wait and see.

• Members

Basic economic theory and logic would suggest that the price of used older, larger ehx pedals would come down because of the increase in the number of them up for sale.

Of course assuming the new pulsar does everything the old one does and more, and has no inherent design flaws, I can't quite see a market for the older pulsar besides mojo junkies/speculators hoping to sell a 'vintage big box pulsar, better tone than the smaller ones!!1! @@' on ebay in about 40 years time.

I personally dig the look too (there's something about large knobs), but its just impractical to take up that much space on the board. Its usually about the utility to everyday musicians, and a smaller box with panning and a kickass price looks like a definite winner to me.

The NYC muff does have a different tone as compared to the LBM, so I guess there would still be a demand for them.

• Members

I constantly have my eye out for EHX deals on the 'bay (just missed a POG at $220 yesterday...damn!) and I've not necessarily noticed a big jump in EHX items being listed lately, or any dilution of their selling price. You can still sell a used US Big Muff for $40-$50, most of the mid-line items like Holy Grails, Mini Q-trons, and Pulsars are still right around $75-$90, and the big box items are still $120+.

Believe me, I'll let you all know when I start seeing super deals on Pulsars and stuff. Are they really stereo? How the hell did I never know that before now? *GASes*

• Members

i got one of these last thursday from musictoyz (great, quick shipping!). i never had the original pulsar, but this one does everything i need a trem to do: subtle repeats, quick chop, triangle, square, etc. the only complaint is that it has a slight volume drop. while i love it, i could also see myself buying a semaphore just to check the difference (and get a volume control).

this pedal is going to be a big hit at this price point.

• Members

I'm glad to here that about musictoyz because I'd never heard of them until I started looking for the new pulsars and they seem to be the only ones stocking them. When will we see the big guys (MF, Music123, etc.) stocking them? When they sell their old pulsars. Can someone describe what exactly a trem pedal with stereo capabilities does? How does that panning action work?

• 10 months later...
  • Members

The Pulsars (big box and smaller stereo versions) have a sqaure wave for hard chop as well as a triangle wave for the more common smoother tremulations.

They also have a wave shaper so you can have ramping, sawtooth, blip, or pulse wave shapes as well as the "normal" ones.

This is a very cool option and one that isn't available on any tremolo costing less than twice the price.

• Members

I just bought an old Pulsar on Ebay for about $45. I absolutely love it. I have several other trems: Fender Vibroverb, Fender Vibro Champ, Boss PN-2, EHX The Worm, EHX Flanger Hoax (gets a really nice trem). Despite having so many trems already, I decided to get the Pulsar because it allows you to get really radical waveform shapes that I can't accomplish with the other trems - especially when you set the Depth to max, and the Shape to about 11:00 or 1:00, you get a strange off-beat trem. I haven't heard any noise problems or volume drop problems at all with mine.

I haven't tried the xo yet, though I'm sure it's great. I just have a deep affection for the older boxes.

• Members

I've had both, I swapped my xo one with Bmore, they don't sound any different to me really, the only difference I can tell is the ranges on the knobs, like on the rate for example, if you put them both in the same place one would be faster than the other, or whatever. Full depth on the XO is around 2 oclock, where as on the big one it's 3 to 4 oclock...after that they kinda double back on themselves. They are both cool..and like has been said, have features you'll never find on anything else for the price. I'm suprised not many people seem to have them.

• Members

Basic economic theory and logic would suggest that the price of used older, larger ehx pedals would come down because of the increase in the number of them up for sale.

FYI - EHX (and most every other manufacturer for that matter) has a MAP on their products (Minimum Advertised Price). If EHX decides to lower the MAP on older stuff then yes prices will come down. If EHX leaves MAP where it is then no, prices won't go down.

On a related note you'll see some places selling stuff for less than the MAP. On the surface it's nice to save a couple dollars, but my thought is do you really want to deal with a company who's not honoring the policies set in place by the manufacturer? Makes me wonder if they'll treat the customer right should there be any issues with your purchase. But that's just me...I'll get off the soap box now.

• Members

FYI - EHX (and most every other manufacturer for that matter) has a MAP on their products (Minimum Advertised Price). If EHX decides to lower the MAP on older stuff then yes prices will come down. If EHX leaves MAP where it is then no, prices won't go down.

On a related note you'll see some places selling stuff for less than the MAP. On the surface it's nice to save a couple dollars, but my thought is do you really want to deal with a company who's not honoring the policies set in place by the manufacturer? Makes me wonder if they'll treat the customer right should there be any issues with your purchase. But that's just me...I'll get off the soap box now.

I think they were talking about 'used' on ebay or whatever...people buying the new ones and putting all the old ones on ebay, the more there is on there, the less people will bid against each other.

• Members

Archived