critique my band's recording-in-progress

TheWarmth

• Members

We did bass and drums on 2" tape at a studio called Phantom Manor here in Chicago and are recording the rest with our engineer at his home studio. He's a mastering engineer and we're pretty much the only band he tracks:

http://www.saffmastering.com/

We haven't done any mastering yet. Still mixing this track. Oh, and we actually boosted the bass during our last session. I'd be hesitant to bring it up anymore, but I'll keep it in mind.

• Members

I realy like the sound of each part, they sit really well together tonally. You said it yourself, the vocals get burried. You should really work with guitar vs vocal volumes of the verse and the chorus. The chorus mix sounds perfect to me, but there are more guitar layers in the verse which compete with the vocals. Personally I would back off the low distorted guitar in particular while the singer is singing. You know what, even take out the part entirely then slowly mix it, you might hear a perfect level which adds just enough meat to the sound.

But hey, excellent song! I really like it actually, it would go in my cd player =)

Oh, and I liked the clap.

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

wow.

sounds really polished.

lots of guitar but each part has its own space.

the bass could be brought out more i think.

:thu:

+1

I like the vocals....:wave:

I would replace the clap with a big kick and floor tom w/ deep reverb......kinda switch up the dry sound a bit...:)

• Members

Sounds great, I really like the guitar tones. My only recommendation would be to cut out the nintendo thing at the beginning, it doesn't really fit in my opinion. Would be better if it started with the feedback intro that is right after it. Maybe bump the bass up a bit too.

Archived