How to get the lack of resonace in Queens of the Stone Age songs?

mukuzi

• Members

Originally posted by therhodeo

Maybe try a guitar that doesnt have much sustain?

I do think that is a lot of it. And a lack of obvious reverb- ambience, but no actual 'verb.

I'm not even sure I like the sound, I just want to be able to play with it.

• Members

Originally posted by skatan

I'm not even sure I like the sound, I just want to be able to play with it.

Yeah I like it for what they do but I would never have much of a use for it. Although I am considering getting a Homebrew Big D which they say is good for a QOTSA sound.

• Members

their guitars definitely have sustain, at least troy van leeuwen's do... he uses yamaha hollow bodies, i have played his sig model, and it rips, i totally want one. i'm hoping to find one on the 'bay for less than the $1000 new selling price. i looked up the cost for them to retailers and stores have to buy them for almost $800, so good luck getting a deal on that one, haha

anyways, josh homme uses all bolt on neck guitars, but that super dry sticcato tone is usually from troy's side... i dunno how he does it.

nonetheless, BAD ASS. one of my absolute favorites.

• Members

Originally posted by lostandfoundpdx

their guitars definitely have sustain, at least troy van leeuwen's do... he uses yamaha hollow bodies, i have played his sig model, and it rips, i totally want one. i'm hoping to find one on the 'bay for less than the $1000 new selling price. i looked up the cost for them to retailers and stores have to buy them for almost $800, so good luck getting a deal on that one, haha

anyways, josh homme uses all bolt on neck guitars, but that super dry sticcato tone is usually from troy's side... i dunno how he does it.

nonetheless, BAD ASS. one of my absolute favorites.

bad cat

• Members

it was different, IE., no grohl drum assault and no more nick oliveri's weirdo scream your guts out at top speed songs, but i still think it was good. just way different.

i do kinda miss mark lanegan though... i wish the live dvd had more of him on it.

even though grohl is gone, i think joey castillo is an animal. that live DVD is ridiculous, with that huuuuge bass drum, haha.

it cracks me up when you hear him slam his stick through the snare head at the end of no one knows, hahaha

• Members

Yeah point taken.

To be fair I didn't like the album with dave grohl on it anyway. Crappy production, {censored} songs apart from the ones that were already desert sessions songs. Which I think was a cop out anyway....even though they're really good songs.

I get upset when I think about really great bands that turn {censored}.

I absolutely loved the first 2 albums :love:

• Members

yeah for sure... i thought the production on SFTD was cool, very different than everything else that was coming out at the time. raw and honest, and wayyyyy too many guitar tracks, haha

the first two definitely kick ass. i think that band is so scattered cuz of the lineup changes all the time. that and josh homme seems to get bored easily, it seems like he is always changing gear and he writes loads of weird stuff

i totally dig troy's playing though. i might buy a scrambler just so i can do some crazy fuzzy octave stuff every once in a while, we'll see... it's a lot to spend on something just to dink around with.

i'm hoping the next record will be better, at least more consistency. LTP was sorta all over the map. i don;t care for allain johannes much, he is sorta boring on bass and guitar, but whatever, more room for troy to kill it :)

• Members

wow, raw and honest?

I thought it sounded over processed and really flat.

It's strange how people hear things. To me it sounds like tool's production only bigger and beefier.

Tool would do well to adopt the production of that album.

QOTSA would do better going back to Rated R!!

At least they don't sound like anyone else - even if I don't like how theyve turned out, at least they haven't completely changed direction jsut to sell records. It's still quite out there compared to all the emo and poppunk crap out at the moment...

• Members

Originally posted by Happy_Thom

wait didn't anyone else think their newest album was a pile of {censored}?

I'm a huge QOTSA fan, but the last album blew! Bring back Nick O. and I think that Troy is only on the last album, you guys's are posting like he has been with QOTSA since the begining.

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

I would imagine it has a lot more to do with the way it was recorded than pedals or guitars. Stick a big amp in a small dead room and you'll get something very similar. It's like the drums on old Bowie or Stevie Wonder records.

exactly what i was gonna write.

twell, not the Bowie/Wonder bit.

despite the big dirty sounds their overall sound is fairly clinical. so it may be mixing too. so, recording as HuskerDude describes, no verb, then giving the guitar plenty of space in the mix.

Archived