Z-Vex: Vextor vs painted

surfcat

• Members

And to please all of you exceptionally picky people, we now have 3 types of Fuzz Factories. Silkscreened Vexters, Hand-polished USA Vexters, and Hand-Painted (or teabagged, if you prefer) originals.

The one you probably haven't seen in stores yet (it just started shipping):

AmericanVexterFF.jpg

• Members

Then why is the American vexter $50 more?

Hand polished? Just because the fact that it is made in the USA?

Not trying to be snotty, just curious.

US labor, plain and simple. Cost of living in Taiwan is dramatically lower than in the states, so labor costs are dramatically lower as well, plus my associates there are set up making pedals for many other effects companies that you're very familiar with, so they have assembly-line efficiency, and I just have one dude sitting at a set of large tables working with his wife, his kids and willing to go without sleep during busy periods.

The price difference doesn't go to me. There are stores involved. If my wholesale price goes up by x, the retail price goes up by x*y, where y is the percentage of markup. Stores have overhead too.

• Members

I tested the Box of Rock, hand-painted and Vexter (MIT), at the same time and liked the Vexter a wee bit better. They were very close, but with my amp the Vexter had a little more sack (even tho' no one's sack was used to embellish it).

Really, it did sound a little better to me with an AC15.

Archived