It's time for the "Good things about the United States" thread

gr8fuldodd

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

number of times i've eaten KFC without feeling queasy shortly thereafter: 0.

my random list:

1. the USA leads the world not only in developing technology but in embracing and using it. in short, America invented the modern world--thanks mostly to Thomas Edison.

2. since the 1950s the US has been the center of the most impotartant developments in visual arts and in popular and classical music.

3. while class is still an issue here, it means far less than most countries.

4. 24 hour shops.

5. discount shops.

6. the US is flexible. its boundaries and definition change.

7. the American language is flexible. while other countries are try to safeguard their languages (mostly against english), US english embraces whatever it wants to.

8. contrary to what non-Americans believe and to our unfortunate history, the US is less racist than most countries. in Sendai, Japan kids pointed to me and yelled "foreigner! foreigner!" as if it was still 1920 and they'd never seen a white man. in Austria 60-70% would prefer not to live next to a Jew.

9. the US has got some beautiful frikkin deserts, mountains, and occasionally even architecture.

10. NYC.

edison was a hack. Tesla was the real genius, and gets little credit. Tesla spent most of his life here but was actually from europe. edison's vision of the future was far far off.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see a few people listing a love of their constitution but nobody cares enough about it to freak out that your Government just passed HR6166 which overturns your Bill of Rights and shoots Habaes Corpus out the airlock.

If you really care about it - you might want to actively speak out about losing it. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jasonfuzz

I'm pretty sure NYC has the most people
attempting
pop art as opposed to creating
good
pop art.

it's THE city that one identifies with the Pop icons--Warhol, Lichtenstein, Wesselman, Oldenburg, Rosenquist, et al., as well as their forerunners--Rauschenberg, Johns, Stuart Davis, et al. British Pop was first but quite different from what we now think of as classic Pop Art.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Poopsicle

This thread is retarded.

It's like saying list the good things about good things.

now poopsy, you can't participate in it, then dis it

what other positive thing about this country can you point to?

I know there's something other than pro wrestling that you like

• Members

Originally posted by jb1911

I love this thread. It's a change from all the depressing bitching. gr8fulldod for President.

thanks, but I want to be the undisputed emperor

while I like democracy, everyone would be better off if I was calling the shots

I love bitching about this country, but I never forget how great it is

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

now poopsy, you can't participate in it, then dis it

what other positive thing about this country can you point to?

I know there's something other than pro wrestling that you like

trans fatty acids?

....seriously, not to sound egotistical myself but I'm only 22 and have been to almost every state in the union. My parents love to travel in the U.S. so I've seen more of America than most Americans. I know it is a great country.

I'm saying there is an asinine number of good things about the United States so a thread asking us to list them seems equally unnecessary.

• Members

And you would still be wrong.
:p

I think it's really egotistical to claim such a broad human creation such as popular art for any one country.

if its your own it does seem that way.
but America is seeing a golden age of sorts. that's right, a golden age. but, just like the golden age of DeMedici Florence, it's full of war, strife, corruption, etc.
but i gave credit where due--Germans were kickin' ass at photgraphy in the 80s/90s, etc.

but the US dominates not only on its own accord. the US art scene was and is fueled by non-Americans. the first NY school was inspired by emigrants fleeing europe. one of the most famous NY artists, Murakami, is from Japan. NYC was just a meeting place for international conceptual artists in the 60's. etc. etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

edison was a hack. Tesla was the real genius, and gets little credit. Tesla spent most of his life here but was actually from europe. edison's vision of the future was far far off.

well, he's credited for much that was developed for him--i.e., for his company (much like Leo Fender BTW)--but he was certainly no hack.

but you're right that our poor little Yugoslav needs more credit.

• Members

I'm saying there is an asinine number of good things about the United States so a thread asking us to list them seems equally unnecessary.

none of my posts are ever necessary

I just thought it would be nice for a change to hear what people like

the list doesn't have to be exhaustive; don't have to list bubble gum - but perhaps something extraordinary

• Members

Great country, wonderful potential.

Noble principles, absolutely.

Born on the cusp of a huge boom in knowledge and tech. Capable of curing world hunger, I have no question.

Beautiful land, interesting people.

Great command of media and meta-messages, which could be our undoing. We weave dreams that intoxicate much of the world. We can also represent beauty powerfully, when we chose.

Liberty, compassion, equality, acceptance. We have shown those in abundance on occasion, and we are best when we advance those ideals.

• Members

Originally posted by BlurryBoy 13

WRONG! It comes from the home of my middle school! CHATTSWORTH CALIFORNIA!

Oh and P.S. THE HAMBURGER and NASA

what's with all the NASA love?

nothing against NASA,

but i didn't know there was such a following!

Archived