Boss GT-PRO rack effects unit

petejt

• Members

top_L.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience with this unit?

What's the quality of its sounds? At least the effects?

What are the synth & chorus sounds like? Is the chorus as good as the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus?

Is it any good in the effects loop of an amp? Can it be used in front of the amp and in its effects loop, simultaneously?

Also, can it be used in the effects loops of two separate amps?

I' thinking of getting a rackmount effects system that I can control with just a normal floorboard, not expensive MIDI stuff. Also, one that isn't too expensive like Lexicon or Eventide or TC Electronics.

I've soured off on Line6, I currently have a Flextone II and without a $1000 pedalboard I only get half the functionality, plus I've had it with amp modelling. I know the GT-PRO has amp modelling, but I'll just use it for effects and maybe some overdrive boosting when I want it (I prefer to rely on the amp's gain for crunch sounds). Therefore I'm staying away from the POD-PRO.

How much does this gadget cost?

So, could I please get some advice on this unit?

• Members

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago used but in mint condition for $500. I did a lot of research before taking the plunge to make sure what I wanted. I already own a killer amp (Rivera Rake head with Marshall 2x12 cabinet), so I wasn't that interested in the amp modeling or distortion effects. This rack has exceded my expectations.

"What's the quality of its sounds? At least the effects?"

Excellent, especially the effects. There's a lot of different distortions and most don't sound very good in the factory settings (except the TS9, which sounds pretty good), but all are tweakable and useable with some work. As I said, I already have a killer amp, and the distortion/overdrive on the Rivera is great so I don't use the GT-Pro for much distortion, but since I'm in a cover band it's useful for dialing in Vox-type crunches that I can't achieve with the Rivera. if you've got a good amp already just disengage the speaker and/or amp simulations and use the effects only. All of the effects in the GT-Pro are deeper and superior to the stompbox versions, IMO. The harmonizer and octave effects track much better than the OC-3 or PS-5, for example. The only effect (other than the distortions) that isn't that impressive is the sitar effect, though I was able to get it much closer to the real thing by tweaking EQs and other parameters. I own 16 stompboxes right now and, with the exception of the POG, most are probably obsolete for my needs now since I bought the GT-Por. Long story short, the sounds are in there, but you've got to have decent ears and the patience to modify them.

"What are the synth & chorus sounds like? Is the chorus as good as the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus?"

The synth patches are a lot of fun, and I'm using a few in some Cars and Cure covers. Combine them with other effects like the auto wahs and filters, and I really can't see you having a hard time replicating most retro synth sounds. As for the choruses, again, they're's plenty to choose from with varying range and sounds. I've never played a CH-1 Super Chorus, so I can't compare, but I do own a vintage CE-2 and CE-3 and I'm not missing them.

"Is it any good in the effects loop of an amp? Can it be used in front of the amp and in its effects loop, simultaneously?

Also, can it be used in the effects loops of two separate amps?"

Yes, yes, yes! And these are prime reasons why I went with this unit. Right now, I'm running reverbs, choruses, phasers, etc. out through the effects loop of my amp, while I run other effects straight to the amp's input. I also run acoustic simulators and synth patches direct out to the PA (which is where they sound best). So you can split your effects any way you desire with multi-cables using the 4 way method. You can also change the order of your effects in the signal to either paths. With the software included (or downloaded) you can tweak your effects and signal chain on your computer too (another main reason I bought the unit). You just drop and drag little stompbox icons into the order you want them.

It's essential to get a prgrammable midi foot controller to get maximum use out of this unit. I'm looking for the best one right now. Lots of guys use the Behringer, though it seems to complicated for me, so I'm leaning towards the Rocktron Midi-Mate or the GCX Ground Control.

• Members

Wow! Thanks for that fantastic advice!

You've really helped me! I was thinking of getting the ME-50, since I just want effects, but if this can do some killer synth & chorus stuff, and I can change it with a floorboard switch unit, that would be better.

I've read that chorus effects work better when in the effects loop, and I don't seem too keen on having long leads to a stomp box. If this thing can do what the CE-20 can do and more...well well! :):cool:

Another thing I like about this is that it has a parametric/semi-parametric EQ. I think that's great as it saves me on having a standalone parametric EQ unit, & save on wiring.

If can purchase the GT-PRO for less than the TC Electronics GMajor ($995 from Pro Audio, cheapest I can get in this country), which I am also quite keen on, then that would be swell!!

Thanks! :cool: :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by petejt

Umm, how many effects can run at once with the Boss GT-PRO?

13, i'm pretty sure.

either way, more than you should really ever need.

the gt-pro is extremely programmable and is probably the most flexible unit out there right now, but the actual quality of each individual effect isn't quite 100%.

you may also want to consider a floor unit so you don't have to invest the extra money in a midi controller.

i'd reccomend a vox tonelab SE or a zoom g9.2tt.

and if you won't be solely relying on the effects unit for your distortion, the podxt live wouldn't be a bad choice either.

• Members

Originally posted by thatmullingskid

13, i'm pretty sure.

either way, more than you should really ever need.

the gt-pro is extremely programmable and is probably the most flexible unit out there right now, but the actual quality of each individual effect isn't quite 100%.

you may also want to consider a floor unit so you don't have to invest the extra money in a midi controller.

i'd reccomend a vox tonelab SE or a zoom g9.2tt.

and if you won't be solely relying on the effects unit for your distortion, the podxt live wouldn't be a bad choice either.

WOW! 13!! :cool:

Would the Boss come with its own floorboard controller? Rather than getting a MIDI board?

I'll be getting distortion (at least the heavy heavy gain stuff) from the amp/s, no need for amp models.

I have considered the Line6 POD xt Live, and having already owned a Flextone II, I'm sworn off all Line6 stuff....

• Members

Originally posted by ashjn

Ya if you don't need a rack unit and want a floor unit get the Boss GT-8. It is the exact same processing and about half the price

I might think of that too........my options are still very open.

• Members

Originally posted by johnf

Nice article man, wish i had 850$ lying around.....

I wish so too..... I don't even have $200 to spend. Them amp & cab themselves will cost $2000, and that's a bargain if the guitarshop will still do that for me..

• Members

The other rackmount effects unit that I am considering, in comparison to this unit, is the TC Electronics G Major. It costs $999 from Pro Audio, and will probably need a separate MIDI controller board for it too.

I wonder what the Boss will cost locally in Oz.....

• Members

You're still gonna need a controller for most of the rack stuff man :) The boss is almost twice as much as the gmajor too. I still think ya should go with a few nice pedals though because that would be more practical in terms of being able to use everything. Otherwise if you go rack, you would basically have to dial in one effect and leave it there if you don't have a midi setup and you can't really change things on the fly.

However if you do wanna go rack, I would checkout the tc electronics g-sharp and m300. Both use knobs instead of the bank/menu layout so it's more user friendly that way. Also, the Rocktron Intellifex and Replifex get great reviews and they're much cheaper than other units.

mJ

• Members

For $999, you probably meant the G-Force, which I would take over a GT-Pro if delays, reverbs, chorus, and pitch shifting are your primary effects focus.

The Roland FC-200 MIDI foot controller works great with both the GT-Pro as well as the TC Electronic processors.

I'm actually in the midst of an in-depth review of the G-Force and G-Major for MusicPlayers.com right now, and we should have it online within the next two weeks.

The GT-Pro and even Line 6's Pod XT Pro have unbeatable computer-based visual editors. If you don't like programming sounds from an LCD display, the GT-Pro will give you rack flexibility with pedal-simple editing.

• 13 years later...

Archived