Which MIDI Controller Do You Recommend?

undo

• Members

Originally posted by MFenkner

In the Novation line, there seems to be a difference between the keybeds in the various models. The Remote (now discontinued), Remote SL, and X-Station all have a great feel, but the Xiosynth is a bit shoddy and I've heard the Remote LE is similar to the Xiosynth though I've yet to try one. I'd recommend trying the LE before buying it.

I tried a new Remote LE 25, an older Remote 61 and a X-Station side by side and the differences in feel were minimal. The Remote 61 had the loosest feel, the LE 25 the stiffest and the X-Station was somewhere between the two. I think the difference can be attributed to the fact that the LE 25 was brand new, the X-Station was semi-new and the Remote 61 looked like it had been used quite a bit. So I'd say there isn't a significant difference in feel between the Novation keyboards.

The Axiom had a pretty good feel to me, a bit more pianoish than the Novations. Otherwise it's not even a contest, the Novations' controls are far better.

I used to have a CME UF6 and while it has a good feel, I highly recommend trying before buying. People have had issues with them (drivers, velocity, weird slider performance etc.).

I'm also still looking for a MIDI controller and so far the Novation Remote LE 61 seems like the best choice for me.

• Members

Here's a great review of 5 midi controllers: http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_seizing_control/

To be honest, UFs' aluminium body attracted me. The review also says, "The semiweighted action on the UF5 was the heaviest of all the five keyboards. If you're used to a weighted-action keyboard, you'll probably like it. If you're looking for a more synth-or organlike action, you'll find it somewhat stiff."

Now I'm trying to find the best deal among three (UF6, Xboard, and ReMOTE) On the other hand, lack of software and no memory for user-defined presets for UF6 just make me "tired" at this deciding process. :confused:

Archived