Which MIDI Controller Do You Recommend?

undo

• Members

Hi, this is my debut in Harmony Central User Forums :wave:

I'm about to buy a MIDI Controller for the first time, and I need some experts' orientation during the purchasing process, indeed. First, will I have to buy additional equipment, or is completing my MIDI controller just with some softwares enough? I've used digital pianos and synthesizers up till now, and I'm very new to the MIDI controller market. In short, I've listed these models after my search, and now I would appreciate if you make some recommendations among these ones:

*M-Audio Axiom 61

*M-Audio Oxygen 61

*M-Audio Radium 61

*Edirol PCR-M80

*E-Mu Xboard 61

*Novation ReMOTE 61 LE

*Korg Blem K-61

• Members

I was pleasantly surprised with the action on my E-mu Xboard 25 which I bought to test out my rack gear after shipping.

Regardless, I still advise finding an interesting older real synth with a decent keybed and perhaps some interesting sounds and then use that. I have picked up an AN1x for the purpose at the moment, hopefully soon to be expanded with some others.

Having said that, also having the X-board on the side is really useful.

B>

• Members

I'm delighted with your great feedback, first of all. I think many users are not ok with virtually all M-Audio models. Due to your suggestions, I will focus on ReMOTE and Xboard. By the way, have Roland and Korg failed about presenting their MIDI controllers perfectly? Why don't I see hot-prospect controller models from these vanguards? Again, thank you very much for your kind and helpful approach.

• Members

Opinions vary on aftertouch. As a rule, now that cheap relatively nice controllers are coming with it, you're almost certainly going to regret not having it a little way down the track.

X-board does, as will any half-decent synth you buy to use as a controller. :)

B>

• Members

Thanks, packrat; these words gave an idea. In fact, I might expect a piano-like keybed rather than extreme functions in order to exercise classical partitions, and now I'm wondering if paying $60-70 more to Xboard 61 worths instead of simply getting a LE Novation ReMOTE.

• Members

Originally posted by undo

Thanks, packrat; these words gave an idea. In fact, I might expect a piano-like keybed rather than extreme functions in order to exercise classical partitions, and now I'm wondering if paying $60-70 more to Xboard 61 worths instead of simply getting a LE Novation ReMOTE.

Well if you willing to shell out some real dough for good traditional action I would recommend the kurzweil PC2x. But for something cheaper check out the m-audio Keystation pro or axiom 61.

M-audio has a few decent lines of midi controllers and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. This is coming from someone who owns a kurzweil PC2x, and a korg kontrol 49(which is to be sold and replaced by a axiom 49 w/ remote sl zero)

• Members

I would agree with much of the advice so far; the Novation has the best keybed of all the controllers I've tried. The Xboard had a surprisingly acceptable feel, though not as good as the Novation. The M-Audio was trash except for the Axiom, but the Axiom had an odd feel, with the keys shaped like those of a piano but the action more similar to a synth; I suppose I could get used to it. The Edirol (Roland) and Korg controllers were so-so. I neither liked nor despised their feel.

In the Novation line, there seems to be a difference between the keybeds in the various models. The Remote (now discontinued), Remote SL, and X-Station all have a great feel, but the Xiosynth is a bit shoddy and I've heard the Remote LE is similar to the Xiosynth though I've yet to try one. I'd recommend trying the LE before buying it.

I'm in a similar situation, looking for a 61 key controller but I've yet to pull the trigger. I like the Remote SL the most by far, but I haven't convinced myself that it's worth the price. With something like the Xboard available for less than half the price, it might be worth the compromise in feel.

Mark

• Members

Originally posted by undo

Wait, are you saying that you need a "piano-style " keybed with a "heavy" feel, and not a synth-style keybed?

To get a decent piano keybed you are most probably going to need to look for 88 key controllers, and as much as I love the Novation stuff, nothing from them will have a piano keybed, I'm afraid.

People who look for a piano keybed usually end up getting a decent piano synth(like the PC2X that John B NYC mentioned), or sometimes a digital piano (some stuff from Casio has been said to be great value for the dollar, or the Roland FP series is said to be pretty nice).

Also, one brand that's not been mentioned yet but is generally thought to be pretty good is the CME UF series controllers.

The UFs were quite a rage when they came out wih their affordable pricing and quality, although I haven't heard about how those early users feel after long use.

The UFs come in a lot of different key combinations, and has an 88-key piano keybed.

Just my $0.02 :D

Cheers~

• Members

Originally posted by Khazul

Novation - the rest are yukky nasty things...

Apparently you've never played an M-Audio Axiom 61. It's action and build quality are far better than the cheaper M-Audio Radium or Oxygen that you might be thinking of.

• Members

Originally posted by Ed A.

Apparently you've never played an M-Audio Axiom 61. It's action and build quality are far better than the cheaper M-Audio Radium or Oxygen that you might be thinking of.

Yeah I believe people that are slagging the Axiom, haven't tried it.

• Members

"Which MIDI Controller Do You Recommend? "

I'd recommend getting something you won't grow out of:

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/products.html?Id=351

:eek:

for a less expensive option:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationPro88-main.html

a lot of people give this board a bad rap, but when i tried it, it didn't seem half bad at all, and it looks like you get a lot for your money.

a bit big and heavy, I imagine, but that's the trade-off.

• Members

Evolutions have control configurability to dream of and horrible keybeds. Maudio also boguth them and are incorporating the best bits into their newer controllers. Avoid except perhaps the uc33e.

Also, the keystation pro from maudio is... quite horrible. Go do some reading on its reliability.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by imissthewar

I myself am thinking of this....

A friend got an Axiom 49 and I was surprised at how much I liked the keybed.

The Axioms are good sets of keys, at least to me.

I got the 49-key when I got tired of the keys on my Xboard 25. The Axiom feels good to me, wheras the Xboard has a little too much resistance for my taste.

• Members

Originally posted by KJI

Wait, are you saying that you need a "piano-style " keybed with a "heavy" feel, and not a synth-style keybed?

The UFs were quite a rage when they came out wih their affordable pricing and quality, although I haven't heard about how those early users feel after long use.

This question was what I was waiting for nervously :) I'm not strong-willed about the style of keybed, yet as I mentioned my somewhat "would be good" expectation, some also suggested casio cdp-100 and px-110 models. Now I'll have a look at the UFs. Although this is not crucial to me and I think I cannot afford more than about $300, I'll evalute these options as well. Thanks for the suggestions. From the price/performance ratio perspective, a $200 ReMOTE seems the best so far. While saying this, I'm not taking The Mo Phatt, Planet Earth, and Protean Drums libraries coming free with Xboard into account.

Archived