Anybody get a Dr. Scientist Reverb yet?

Elliott Damage

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At least 3 or 4 people already have it, but they have been fairly quiet about it. Only short positive blurbs.

I have 4 pedals coming from Dr. Scientist, and the reverb is one of them. But the painful wait for them continues, because they still don

• Members

Originally posted by ollenorin

Versatile...yes but its no way near as versatile as the verbzilla

Sounds - from realistic to over the top nuts

Also it is light, True Bypass, no noise issues...and it has a great boost if you want to.

I would agree with this, apart from the Verbzilla comment. Not that I don't agree, but I have never used the Verbzilla.

In terms of sound quality it rivals the Lexicon rack my father-in-law has. I forget which one. Might be called an MXP-1, can't be sure though. It doesn't sound quite as good, but it is really {censored}ing close (like 90%) and way easier to use and way more compact.

It also {censored}s on the EHX offerings IMO too. No bypass or hiss issues with the RRR. Also the verb feels more 'real' from the RRR, and the extreme settings are usable. I never liked the grails I tried though.

Only 1 downside I can see, and that is the lack of a spring reverb setting. Doesn't bother me, but may bother some. I think most have spring verb in their amps anyway. I can live without spring reverb myself.

My favourite thing about it is the volume boost it has. With a fairly wet signal with a great deal of boost I get amazing, liquid, etheral, light OD tones from my amp. With a fairly dry signal and a nice amount of boost I get some more solid, driving tones from it.

Oh, and simplicity always wins with gear, for me, and this is pretty goddamn simple.

One other point, and that is it doesn't seem to have any distortion of its own. I can slam it with a very hot signal from my Mayo and I don't get any nasty breaking up of the reverb.

I've had my RRR for a couple of months now, and haven't said too much about it as I personally can't stand 'this is the best {censored}ing thing ever' honeymoon period reveiws, or 'this is a pile of {censored}' haven't given it a proper shot reviews. I feel it takes a while to get your head around a pedal properly. I know some people play a pedal once and sell it straight up, but I cannot do that. I need time.

• Members
Originally posted by goldie-gold

I would agree with this, apart from the Verbzilla comment. Not that I don't agree, but I have never used the Verbzilla.

In terms of sound quality it rivals the Lexicon rack my father-in-law has. I forget which one. Might be called an MXP-1, can't be sure though. It doesn't sound quite as good, but it is really {censored}ing close (like 90%) and way easier to use and way more compact.

It also {censored}s on the EHX offerings IMO too. No bypass or hiss issues with the RRR. Also the verb feels more 'real' from the RRR, and the extreme settings are usable. I never liked the grails I tried though.

Only 1 downside I can see, and that is the lack of a spring reverb setting. Doesn't bother me, but may bother some. I think most have spring verb in their amps anyway. I can live without spring reverb myself.

My favourite thing about it is the volume boost it has. With a fairly wet signal with a great deal of boost I get amazing, liquid, etheral, light OD tones from my amp. With a fairly dry signal and a nice amount of boost I get some more solid, driving tones from it.

Oh, and simplicity always wins with gear, for me, and this is pretty goddamn simple.

One other point, and that is it doesn't seem to have any distortion of its own. I can slam it with a very hot signal from my Mayo and I don't get any nasty breaking up of the reverb.

I've had my RRR for a couple of months now, and haven't said too much about it as I personally can't stand 'this is the best {censored}ing thing ever' honeymoon period reveiws, or 'this is a pile of {censored}' haven't given it a proper shot reviews. I feel it takes a while to get your head around a pedal properly. I know some people play a pedal once and sell it straight up, but I cannot do that. I need time.

Nice review!
I had (i think) an MXP-1 and the RRR does rival it.
Agreed about taking some time to get to really understand a pedal.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

Whats up with the finishes on these pedals? From the pictures it looks like colored plastic under contact paper wrapped around the pedal. Anyone else think this looks tacky?

yeah, it kinda looks like cheesy colorforms to me but asthetics are the last of my concerns when it comes to pedals. If the thing sounds good then I don't give a crap what it looks like.

Also, for $200 a digital reverb I'd like to see stereo outputs, it's one thing I like better about digital reverbs.

• Members
Originally posted by FranklinD

How long has it been papa taco? I was told two weeks....
:confused:

About 3 1/2 weeks. I was aware there would be a wait. I mean, they sold tons with that September promo and I squeaked my order in at the end of it.

I'd rather wait a bit and have it built right than have them rush through the stuff and have qc issues.

taco

• Members

My Sunny Day Delay arrived on Friday. I agree with goldie in that you need some time withthe pedal before you can review it. Mine does have a few issues that I emailed Ryan about. I am waiting for a response.

I am not too big of a fan of the graphics but in person it looks pretty nice. I also don't care too much as long as it sounds good.

• Members

Issues?
:freak:

There is a clipping distorted sound on the repeats. You can really hear it when the delay time is more than half the way up. I don't want to instantly blame the pedal so I need to double check if there is something wrong with my rig.

Also, the delay time pot is reverse, ie counter clockkwise turns the rate up. the other pots are clockwise.

• Members

I remember a time where that happened to me when the signal was hitting the delay pedal pretty hard. Even a clean but strong signal did that to me. That's why I keep my SHO at the very end of the chain.

Does this happen all the time?

Yeah it seems to be worse when I switch to the dirty channel. I have the pedal in the effects loop of my Rivera combo. I am not using anything beside the TS-9 at about 1/4 gain to boost it.

Archived