Should I get a 59 Bassman RI?

deadbob166

• Members

So, I've been thinking about a bassman for my next amp purchase. I play mostly stoner rock and indie type stuff, and i've read that the first marshall heads were bassed on the original bassman amp, which leads me to believe that with my main dirt pedal (SCOD), I'll be able to get heavy enough. I've also read that the bassman amps are very pedal freindly, which is a must. Here are a few questions you guys could maybe help me with?-

how are the clean sounds on the 59' RI? can it get the "fender sound" that you hcfx guys love so much? what about on other bassman amps?

Is the 59' RI the way to go as far as bassman amps?

please, any input would be a big help, as well as suggestions for other amps

• Members

Can't go wrong with that, I'd say. Usually, though, shoegazers like a slightly more reliable clean tone than a BM might give you - lots of Twin Reverbs and such. I'd definitely say the '59 Bassman is one of my holy grail amps (along with a similarly vintage Twin), but I'm not sure it's exactly what you're gonna want. Plus, isn't that Bassman kinda dark? Is that what you want, or do you want 'sparkly' highs? If so, I'd maybe move along to BF Fenders.

As for the Marshall connection, it is a highly similar circuit, but I think the JMP has an additional gain channel. You should be getting close with the SCOD, though.

• Members

AFAIK, and from owning a silver head, they are really sparkly and clean. Dunno about the '59 though.

You can make them darker by plugging into the bass channel and flipping the deep switch.

The lack of a big ol' spring reverb is the one thing that bothers me. Nothing like fender spring reverb.

I'd say do it though.

• Members

the bassman is one of my favourite amps...

i got the marshall JTM45, very similar circuit in head form and about half the price here in the UK

i love it an awfull amp... i plan to get a bassman too down the line.

it does take pedals great, it has quite a lot of clean headroom but can breakup so nicely if you push it hard... the SCOD kicks ass through it

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

AFAIK, and from owning a silver head, they are really sparkly and clean. Dunno about the '59 though.

You can make them darker by plugging into the bass channel and flipping the deep switch.

The lack of a big ol' spring reverb is the one thing that bothers me. Nothing like fender spring reverb.

I'd say do it though.

The silverface BM and the tweed BM are so totally different in their response it's not even funny. The tweed will begin to break up a lot earlier than a SF will. I like both of the amps, though, and if I were in this guy's shoes I'm not sure the tweed is what I'd want. I associate tweed BM's with Keith Richards' tone, not Spacemen 3 (who used Voxes anyway).

• Members

I like how the reissues sound. I thought the cleans were pretty good. Maybe not sparkling clean like a twin but still very good. I should note that this is just based on my experience demo'ing them at guitar centers. I've never owned one but would love to eventually.

I did like how any guitar I put through it sounded good. ran a bunch of different guitars through it and I liked how they all sounded.

• Members

I realised again yesterday how much I hate demoing amps at GC. First off, I'm not playing my own guitars, set up correctly with new strings. Secondly, I hate playing loud unless I'm in the little glassed-off sound room, and that's always inhabited by some 15 year old in a Good Charlotte t-shirt running through his sweep picking exercises on a Crate half-stack. I'm too polite to crank a B-man to breakup levels like I would if it were in my home. Then I have to attempt to hear myself over the REAL loser playing Metallica licks through a TSL over in the corner on 10.

I guess it would matter if I was to ever buy anything from there other than emergency strings and parts, but I swear I never will.

• Members

I don't like the Bassman RI. It has a flubby low end, the chassis rattles given enough loud playing, and the break up is harsh.

My friend had one and I absolutely hated it. I used it every time we'd jam...which was fairly often. He sold it because the chassis would rattle so he couldn't record it. Obviously something worked its way loose. Just about every single RI Fender I've played has the same problem if you are listening for it.

Oh, and unless the modified the RI Bassman, it doesn't have an adjustable bias. If you plan on tube rectifying the amp, you will always be running on the colder side...and in order to mod the amp to be adjustable, you end up breaking your 5 year warranty.

Spend your money on a better amp.

-Zach Omega

• Members

The clean tones from the '59 Bassman RI are BEAUTIFUL!

The Bassman clean tone was my most important criteria when my wife allowed me to get a NEW amp. Everyone has their own taste but it is right up there with any amp (IMHO). It's not as glassy as a twin. I compared it side by side with the AC30 and chose the Bassman.

Full deep shimmery cleans.

The option of switching the tube rectifiers allows you adjust the level that it begins to break up. With the SS rectifier the Tweed Bassman will not break up hardly at all with single coils unless you push it with something. They are loud mofo's with the 4 x10's.

And the chicken head knobs go to 12!

When you have narrowed your search down to a couple amps take YOUR OWN GUITAR down to the store and compare for yourself.

• Members

Originally posted by CicadaSilence

You want mine? I'm probably going to sell it to recoup expenses on an Ampeg V4 purchase.

Now yrrr talking.

V4 = clean

V4 + dist/fuzz/od = doomsday machine

I love my v4. Also, I have never had much luck playing really heavy stuff without a closed back cabinet.

• Members
Originally posted by llllllllllllllllllllllll

I don't think they have an effect loop, so if reverb and delay is important to you, you might want to consider a different amp.

:freak: i use tons of delay. why would he need an effects loop? I've had amps with effects loops in them, and i never used them...

• Members

Originally posted by deadbob166

So, I've been thinking about a bassman for my next amp purchase. I play mostly stoner rock and indie type stuff, and i've read that the first marshall heads were bassed on the original bassman amp, which leads me to believe that with my main dirt pedal (SCOD), I'll be able to get heavy enough. I've also read that the bassman amps are very pedal freindly, which is a must. Here are a few questions you guys could maybe help me with?-

how are the clean sounds on the 59' RI? can it get the "fender sound" that you hcfx guys love so much? what about on other bassman amps?

Is the 59' RI the way to go as far as bassman amps?

please, any input would be a big help, as well as suggestions for other amps

YES YOU WANT & NEED A BASSMAN :D

FWIW, i am getting an LTD early next year ! :thu:

Next year i'm going to do major changes to everything ! Gonna keep my Blues Jr. though !

Complete nwe pedal board (6 pedals max), and i am also playing w. the idea of getting a Warmoth Jaguar, and convert it into SHS Jag. Dropping a Humbucket between the the SC's !!! :evil:

Comming back to the Bassman - a cranked TWEED is the badest, meanest amp tone that i ever heard ! I need one, and by the looks of things, you too !

:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by deadbob166

to be honest, I'm more concerned getting heavy enough than having sparkle so i think the tweed would be best for me. anyways, I plan on getting the Dr. Scientist reverb pedal a.s.a.p., so that should cover the lack of amp 'verb.

My opinion, you'd probably be better off with a later bassman head atop a Marshall 4x12 wired with all speakers parallel for 4 Ohms. The 59 has more rip and a great classic rock kind of drive, but is neither especially clean or particularly heavy. That's what makes it a great amp to so many people, that it never gets clean enough to be scratchy but it just don't do serious heavy - not with four open back tens.

Now that just might not be an option because of cost and logistics. But it is just one hell of a combination and will take pedals and is capable of fairly intense heavy.

That said, the '59 isn't going to suck.

Ron

• Members

Yes, I never thought I could get along without reverb before this amp. The cabinet is relatively resonant and the open back give it dimension. It is when Fender when to cheaper cabinets that they had to develop reverb on the Black faces.

That being said, after a year or so I did get a Verbzilla to go along with the Mr. Echo in front of it.

• Members

Originally posted by Ronsonic B

My opinion, you'd probably be better off with a later bassman head atop a Marshall 4x12 wired with all speakers parallel for 4 Ohms. The 59 has more rip and a great classic rock kind of drive, but is neither especially clean or particularly heavy. That's what makes it a great amp to so many people, that it never gets clean enough to be scratchy but it just don't do serious heavy - not with four open back tens.

Now that just might not be an option because of cost and logistics. But it is just one hell of a combination and will take pedals and is capable of fairly intense heavy.

That said, the '59 isn't going to suck.

Ron

what different models did the BM head come in? They're not making them anymore, right? anyone know how hard it would be to add an effects loop?

Archived