Should I get a 59 Bassman RI?

deadbob166

• Members

Originally posted by deadbob166

what different models did the BM head come in? They're not making them anymore, right? anyone know how hard it would be to add an effects loop?

Honestly if you really want an effects loop you should look elsewhere.

But I don't think you need one with this amp in my opinion.

There are several Bassman heads available from the 60's and 70's...but you'll probably have to pay at least 350-400 for the head and you'd still need a cab...and you can get a used RI for 600-700...so if money is an issue I would stick to the combo. And I've never seen any of those modded to have an effects loop...although I'm sure with the right tech and some cash you could butcher it and get it done.

• Members

Originally posted by deadbob166

what different models did the BM head come in? They're not making them anymore, right? anyone know how hard it would be to add an effects loop?

Everything from the blonde ones that Brian Setzer uses. Which are neat amps but probably not what you're looking for, aside from the price, through the black and silver face eras. I've heard great tones through both BF and SF if set up well.

Adding a loop is about the same as for any other amp that didn't come with one. Depending on whether you have it buffered with a recovery stage, or just tacked in ahead of the PI, anywhere from $120 - 250 depending on where you live.

See if you can find and try some to get a feel for 'em. Years ago I ran a blackface atop a Marshall 8x10. Cannot imagine what a retard I was to not stick with that.

Ron

Archived