OT: Drum Machine Vs. Midi Keyboard Controller.

Klisk

• Members

Okay, so if anyone has any input on the topic, that would be cool... :freak:

I have a Zoom drum machine. It does it's job fine, but I don't find myself using it as often as I should. I more often end up going to Fruityloops, as much as I despise the thing.

So I was wondering - Would it be smart to sell the drum machine, and invest in a midi keyboard controller, like the Oxygen 8 or something? Mind, the drum machine is in the same price range, so it's not like I would be downgrading in price or something.

*OR* should I sell my full-sized Yamaha keyboard that I bought just to learn basic piano? It's just one of those entry-level cheapies that's good for playing regular keys on, but not much else.

Finally, should I just stick with what I have? Or is there better options?

Drums have been a horrible dilemma for me as far as writing music goes. Lately I've just been cutting and pasting stuff in Adobe Audition, and I'm starting to want something more 'tactile' again.

So, any advice?

Thanks. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

Are you going to use the keyboard just for drums? Another option may be a pad controller for the drums. I recently got the Akai MPD16. I have not used it enough, but it seems that it will be ideal with Battery.

Predominately drums, but I was thinking it would be nice to have some synth capability there to play around with too, y'know? If it could replace a tabletop drum machine with the right software, it would be cool. I could just snag samples off of the thing anyways before I sell it so I don't feel too bad. :D

I'm looking at the Akai though, and it's a definite option. Thanks.

• Members

Hrrrrm, well how do the pads differ from using a keyboard, asides from the obvious reasons (as in tapping out the beats on the pad.) Like, how do you work out bass+snare+hihat all at the same time? Or is it more about looping and working it out that way? :freak: I'm a noob with this stuff. :(

Ahh, well, thanks still. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Klisk

Hrrrrm, well how do the pads differ from using a keyboard, asides from the obvious reasons (as in tapping out the beats on the pad.) Like, how do you work out bass+snare+hihat all at the same time? Or is it more about looping and working it out that way?
:freak:
I'm a noob with this stuff.
:(

Ahh, well, thanks still.
:D

For me using the pads has been more comfortable than the keyboard, and I don't feel bad if I hit the pads hard :)

The way I've done my drum tracks in the past is to focus on a single sound, record it, and then do the next one. Usually I record the bass drum, then the snare, then hi-hat, etc. All go into a sequencer. Once I get a part sounding and 'feeling' right, I can just copy and paste. Usually I try to copy multiple measures. If you just copy one measure the track always sounds the same and doesn't 'feel' right. I like some variability in the drums, to have a more human feel as opposed to a machine feel.

I get the sounds from Battery, and record into a sequencer or DAW.

• Members

So, any advice?

Klisk,

If you like to tweak around with things and already familiar with the concept of sequencing, I would personally recommend (and I believe many would also agree with this) buying:

1. a decent midi keyboard controller; and

2. propellerheads reason

I believe there are many bundling packages sold out there comprises of both.

About the latter, if you don't like its endless soft synth capabilities or the fact of it being referenced as the tools of the trade for dance/electronic musicians, at least you will have the most of its drum machine sequencing (with maximum tweaking and real-life-environment - the best i have ever seen incorporated into a music making software).

Go to their downloads section, and you will understand why.

For myself, I started using a small 1 octave midikey (my intention back then was only to utilize the midikey as a midi drum trigger, and look at me now using a full size 61 key midi controller (addicted to it).

There are lack of Reason, of course, being not able to record vocal and studio tracks.

'Nuff said. and i am not their sales person.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Predominately drums, but I was thinking it would be nice to have some synth capability there to play around with too, y'know? If it could replace a tabletop drum machine with the right software, it would be cool. I could just snag samples off of the thing anyways before I sell it so I don't feel too bad.
:D

I'm looking at the Akai though, and it's a definite option. Thanks.

wanted to resurect this thread to see what you ended up going with. I am in the same boat you are. I mostly want drums but would hate to limit myself. (i dont even know how to play piano)

• Members

Originally posted by rbomb

wanted to resurect this thread to see what you ended up going with. I am in the same boat you are. I mostly want drums but would hate to limit myself. (i dont even know how to play piano)

Well here's my opinion, after going through it all: :)

If you really want to be able to do 'everything', then you should probably go keyboard. Personally I went with the Novation ReMote 25 LE, and it has been treating me great. It's a really versatile tool and I can set it up to do anything I want.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Novation-ReMOTE-25-LE-USB-MIDI-Controller?sku=702653

Decent price, too. :thu:

On the other hand, if you predominately want to do drums, then you should seriously consider the drum pads. I've been playing around with this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Akai-MPD16-USB-MIDI-Pad-Control-Unit?sku=705564

The advantage that drum pads provide is phenominal... But of course, only for drums. You're able to better express yourself, you're able to tap out faster tempo beats -- More accurately, and effeciently -- Compared to a keyboard. It's easier to mesh with and you end up just being 'faster.' The problem is that you lose all the versatility of a keyboard. A keyboard can do all the drums too, but it just feels different. It doesn't feel as fast, or as accurate. But it's nothing to scoff at when you can also lap over some piano lines.

The nice thing with a pad is being able to set up one of the pads to start a loop if you hold it down, and then layer by tapping more on top of that loop.

Yeah.... You have to decide what you need more: Drums, or Everything. There's been tons of producers that did all the drums with only keyboards, so it isn't THAT bad. It's pretty good actually, just not as 'easy.' So just ask yourself if you only need drums, or if you really need versatility. That's the best way to make your decision.

If I had the money I'd get an Akai MPC, but good luck on that. :D

Seriously, at the end of the day, both types of controllers do the same exact thing, only with a different feel. There's only two true limitations for someone here: The drum samples they use, and the software they use.

Your drums will sound as good as the samples, and you'll be able to go as far as your software lets you go. So expect to spend a lot of time on mininova finding the right samples and apps. :idea: Ableton Live, Reason, Fruityloops, Logic Pro (if you're a mac user), Battery, amongst many other options are out there. There's so many damn options, just gotta find one that you like and go with it. :freak:

The other people in this thread also provided some really great advice, so good luck. :wave:

Heck, if you can afford it, get both. :D

If my options are too cheap for you (And trust me, I'm a cheapskate), then the Padkontrol that fernmeister mentioned is awesome.

Heck, for controllers, M-Audio makes one that combines keys and pads:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Axiom-25-25Key-USB-MIDI-Controller?sku=706313

That one was tempting, but it does sacrifice portability.

Good luck. :)

• Members

Originally posted by rbomb

I am just not sure what all the knobs and buttons are for on the keyboard.

Nothing specific, just programmable stuff mostly. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=us37mFmMkpo

Presets too.

I'm not a huge fan of the O2, personally. A few dollars extra for the Oxygen8 will go a long way. (Predominately for more octaves and mod/pitch shifting.)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Oxygen8-v2-25Key-Mobile-USB-Controller?sku=706310

But if it was between just the O2 and the Akai pad, I'd definitely go Akai. :)

Good luck. :wave:

• Members

I program any midi drumtracks with my mouse on Logic Audio. You just click each hit one at a time.(gets quicker with copy paste etc) I think this way is WAAY more accurate than using keyboards etc.

You can 'play' way beyound your drumming ability level when you program each hit in individually, rather than doing it in realtime on the keyboard or pads.

It isnt very hard to learn at all either.

• Members

Originally posted by Remedy

I program any midi drumtracks with my mouse on Logic Audio. You just click each hit one at a time.(gets quicker with copy paste etc) I think this way is WAAY more accurate than using keyboards etc.

Too accurate for me. I

Archived