Are the Multivox Big Jam series collectable?

Seth Carmody

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Particularly the Jazz Flanger. Only 100 made? Used by some big name artist on a classic track or something? I'm trying to work out why the bidding on the one currently on ebay has gone crazy

:D
but
:confused:

How does it sound?

Well maybe you want to wait til the auction's over... :D

I have the analog delay and it's very cool sounding.

Not a lot of delay time. Lots of quirkiness, almost like a tape delay and it's inherit quirks.

Well OK, not as cool, but definitely some of that machine vibe.

• Members

Originally posted by jove

How does it sound?

Well maybe you want to wait til the auction's over...
:D

;)

Actually, I said in another thread that it was a little too subtle for my tastes. It's not huge and thick and overpowering like an MXR. Recently got a Flanger Hoax. Once you go TZF you don't go back.

Originally posted by jove

I have the analog delay and it's very cool sounding.

Not a lot of delay time. Lots of quirkiness, almost like a tape delay and it's inherit quirks.

Well OK, not as cool, but definitely some of that machine vibe.

Nice. Hows the reverb on that? A true reverb setting or just like a 'short' delay switch? I also have the Biphase-9. It's got a distinct flangerish sort of voice, but, like the Jazz Flanger, is a bit on the subtle side even with the width maxed.

Re the auction, my best guess is, as its SE-11 (Space Driver was SE-12 and that was as far as it got), maybe only a few of em were made before Multivox went bust?

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

;)

Actually, I said in another thread that it was a little too subtle for my tastes. It's not huge and thick and overpowering like an MXR. Recently got a Flanger Hoax. Once you go TZF you don't go back.

Nice. Hows the reverb on that? A true reverb setting or just like a 'short' delay switch? I also have the Biphase-9. It's got a distinct flangerish sort of voice, but, like the Jazz Flanger, is a bit on the subtle side even with the width maxed.

Thnaks for the heads-up on the Flanger.

I've seen them around but never heard one, so I was curious.

I've got an A/DA, a Korg DFL-1 and an Ibz DFL and thus have no interest in acquiring another flanger!

The reverb on the Multivox is like you suggest, an extra quick succesion of delays that make for a slapback or even small room sound. Very nice.

The delays get just long enough on the echo setting to give you a delay sound, but they're (at least mine is) a bit shorter than the std. 330 ms.

The bypass, I don't think it's so hot, maybe it'd be nice boosted a bit, but I do remember that the actual effect was different than other pedals and kinda' catchy.

• Members

Apprantly, the Big Jam pedals were commissioned in Japan by a certain Mr. Saltzman of Sorkin Music Company of New York. Multivox was the manufacturing subsidiary of the Peter Sorkin Music Company, which built products under the Premier trademark. Sorkin began the Multivox company in the mid-1940s. Multivox eventually established a separate corporate identity, and continued in existence for fourteen or so years after the Sorkin company closed down in the 1970s. In the late 1970s, the Multivox logo included the name Sorkin Music, and adverts gave the company's name as "Multivox/Sorkin Music of 370 Motor Parkway, Hauppauge, New York".

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

Tonetoys is selling NOS BiG Jam pedals for a sweet price (70 euros). I was looking at the Delay and when I decided to buy one, it was gone.

:mad:

the Jazz Flanger is still available

Yep saw that, but alas the delay was long gone for me too. Because there was no English at all I was a bit hesitant.

I like how a lot of their pedals have pictoral images of the sound waves.

Archived