Good OD or distortion for SS amps?

mukuzi

• Members

I normally run my ODs into a tube amp, set to slightly dirty. Not quiet breaking up, but sounding as though it wants to. I get a really good crunchy grind that way.

I've recently got a fender Champ 25, with a SS pre-amp. The cleans are great, but running ODs into it sounds bad. I've been using a modded DS-1 and tubescreamer, but neither works with this amp at all.

What ODs and distortions work well with SS amps?

• Members

Believe it or not, the BOSS metalzone, works great with solid state amps (I hate the thing with tube amps though). I will second the tubedriver recomendation (I used to use a "real tube" pedal with my solid state fender).

Also, I remember the old DOD supra distortion sounding great with my solid state fender as a kid.

• Members

DODistortion1.jpg

I play a SS amp. I do not like totally clean tones. So I always leave this on and it sounds like a slightly breaking up tube amp and then I kick on my Big Muff after it for the heavy. It adds no extra noise going into the muff unlike so many other OD's. Perfect description would be... Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground by The White Stripes. I can nail that sound perfect by leaving the DOD on all the time and kicking the Muff for the heavy parts.

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

I have a Digitech Bad Monkey cascading into a Boss SD-1 which then goes out to a mildly distorted Vox Pathfinder 15R, and it sounds great.

Are you only using the Champ's clean channel when you hit your OD pedal? That might be your problem, and if so, you should try a distortion pedal instead.

I had a pathfinder, and really liked it. It took ODs a lot better than the champ does.

I had more of a play with it, and found it's really only the DS-1 and the TS it doesn't get on with.

I have a RAT and a Distortion+ in the post, but now I'm gassing for nearly all the pedals bought up in this thread. :mad:

• Members

english muffn by electro-harmonix or some of their other ones with tubes like the hot tubes or tubeEQ or stereo preamp

i'm pretty sure like all their tube pedals have over drive on them but u can turn the knob all the way down if u dont want ne.

i'd say best bet is hot tubes or enlish muffn:thu:

• Members

My Option 5 Destination Overdrive sounds exceptional with both my tube and solid-state amps.In fact,I think that it is my best sounding OD/distortion box for use with my solid-state stuff...even sounds killer in front of my little cheapie 20 watt/8" speaker Guitar Research combo.

Ed

Archived