Good sounding flanger.

hugbot

• Members

I've hated the sound of the bf3 and digitech flangers.

The ibanez fl9 sounds really nice as far as sound clips go though. Nice and swirley sounding, not an ugly woosh sitting on top of the sound.

Are there any other options as far as nice sounding (non boutique) flangers though? Or is it fl9 or nothing?

• Members

Originally posted by GDan

So in other words, its ibanez Fsomething or nothing?

hardly.

i've got an orig FL-9, and of the 15ish flangers i've been through, its always been the last one i reach for.

the FL99 has absolutely nothing to do with the FL-9.

others in the same/similar sonic neighborhood as the FL-9, but infinitely better imho:

pearl fg-01

arion sfl-1

• Members
Originally posted by gtrwiz

I've got a cool old Ross Flanger, the red one, sounds killer. I think they're still reasonbly priced...

i put that one in my post, then deleted it, cuz its got more something than the ibanez fl-9 flavor. however, its a killer flanger, and it was the choice of Eric Johnson for awhile.

gratuitous flanger photo:

flangers.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

i put that one in my post, then deleted it, cuz its got more
something
than the ibanez fl-9 flavor. however, its a killer flanger, and it was the choice of Eric Johnson for awhile.

gratuitous flanger photo:

flangers.jpg

how do you like that DOD?

• Members

Originally posted by gtrwiz

how do you like that DOD?

the DOD has been on my board about 3 yrs or so, and is my absolute fav. similar tone to the mxr, but its more flexible, and has the ability to get some very vocal sounds (almost wah-like). its quite thick sounding, unlike the FL-9, and not nearly as treble-y as many flangers.

i keep trying diff flangers, mostly in an effort to reclaim board-space, but nothing sounds quite like it. theres a slight volume drop with it, but not enough to put me off.

i've had it speed-modded by JPL Audio (no longer in the biz), so its now able to get 30% slower than the stock slow speed, as well as much faster than it was able to before (the 'normal/PA' switch, which was useless, now controls whether its in fast or slow mode).

only other flange i've used that shares the vocal ability of the DOD is the arion sfl-1, which i used while the 640 was being borrowed by a friend.

• Members

I've been using a Guyatone MicroFlanger for a little while now. It's not too bad. You can get some jet sounds out of it, plus some really good sounds with the rate turned up.
I was looking for something smaller than my Ross and Ibanez FL99 and the Guyatone was about as small as they come.

Normally I'll say that the Ross is my favorite, but I just came across a tape of my band where I was using the FL99 and I really liked the sound of it. Really throaty and whooshy with the rate turned down. It'll probably end up back on my board if I can make it fit.

Archived