I'm thinking about new tubes for my Amp...Who is the resident tube guru?

tlchase68

• Members

I have a Mesa Boogie F-30 (an awesome little combo amp), but it has a decent amount of hiss most of the time and flabby tones on the higher gain settings. I've read that new tubes may help resolve these problems, but I am pretty clueless on this particular subject. I'd love to get some suggestions for websites to review/learn or information from you guys on what to expect when changing certain tubes in this amp.

There was a previous post that recommended a particular person and/or website as the place to go for replacement tubes, but I can't find it due to the disabled search function. I'd appreciate any advice and or comments on this subject.

Thanks!

• Members

Well i know the E34L's are easy ot exchange..

But isnt there somthing that needs to be calibrated or somthing? the power tubes or somthing? In the Eurotubes for a full retubing of a Marshall JCM 100 is 4 E34L's and then another set of somthing.. Does that other thing need to be calibrated? I know nothing..

• Members

An amp should be bias'ed when changing the power amp tubes. Preamp tubes are fine to swap.

You want to make sure you have a phase inverting preamp tube for the last tube (closest to the power amp tubes) so your signal in phased correctly (I think it just sounds wierd if you don't do it)

That's all I know.

• Members

Hmm so would it be easier to buy what you want cheaper from somewhere else.. Send it to the shop where you bought the amp for "under warranty" detail work, and say while your at it get him to put the tubes in for you..? I really don't want to pay someone $20 to put somthing in that takes 5 min.

• Members
Originally posted by puddinstone

That person might have been Bob at
www.eurotubes.com

They have JJ's which are some great tubes.

I went there to get my amp re-tubed and biased. (about a 15 minute drive from my house)
Cool guy, tons of help. but the JJ tubes don't seem to be all that cool. Took the life outta my amp. Even after the tubes were broke in.

Just my couple o' pennies.

• Members

Originally posted by Prehistoricpain

i'll probably get flamed for this, but i really hate jj tubes.

all their preamp tubes are a muddy mess, with way too much gain.

and the power tubes just sound dull, like a blanket is over my cab.

which ones do you reccomend/like ?

• Members

Originally posted by Remedy

which ones do you reccomend/like ?

well, for med-high gain tones,in my jcm800 a mix of sovtek 12ax7wbs and svetlana 12ax7s and sovtek EL34wxt's

for low/medium gain tones from my traynors, i use all sovtel 12ax7wbs in one (great balanced sounding tube) with sovtek EL34wxt's

and NOS phillips 12ax7's and svetlana EL34s in the other. this one sounds a bit warmer and less congested.

Archived