Fuzz help

ZeppelinPie792

• Members

I know there is a thread about fuzz that is 103 pages long, but I have to ask about fuzzes.

For my first fuzz, I am thinking of either getting a fuzz factory, or the analogman sun face. I am looking for a 60's kinda fuzz, like jimi hendrix sort of tone. I also want this to be a lead boost kind of fuzz, not for rythem. I want fuzz, not overdrive. I already have overdrive. A while ago, I thought of getting a fuzz face RI, but then I heard about how bad they are.

Well my tossup between the sun face and fuzz factory:

Fuzz factory: super fun, hard to use, can get many fun and weird tones. Supposedly has a lot of annoying high end and no low end (I like my guitar to be bassy, doesn't need to be though)

Sun face: supposedly better than the fuzz face RI. Price is around same as fuzz factory vexter series, but I saw a sun face on ebay for $120. Also, a true bypass pedal, so I don't feel guilty for having it in my chain and not using it.

Should I go with the fuzz factory or the sun face? Right now I am leaning more towards the sun face, but some of the clips sounded more like overdrive than it did fuzz. I haven't listened to all of the clips yet, but the one where the guy had the fuzz knob all the way up sounded good. I know a lot of people here used fuzz faces and sold them after not liking them. I haven't heard much about the sun face here. Help is appreciated

• Members

I'd be inclined to agree with the Sun Face, which is one of the best examples of a Hendrix fuzz. The nkt275 version is very fat and smooth, but the standard germanium is more fuzzy in it's nature. If you want to get nastier still, go for the BC108 Silicon Sun Face, which is more aggressive and not nearly as smooth as the germanium versions.

The FF can be a little overwhelming for a first fuzz encounter, but if you're serious about fuzz, it's kind of like having a Fuzz Pod that allows you to get an idea of how various other pedals sound! An equally great & rewarding pedal, much more versatile but tough to master.

• Members

Originally posted by ZeppelinPie792

Should I go with the fuzz factory or the sun face? Right now I am leaning more towards the sun face, but some of the clips sounded more like overdrive than it did fuzz.

Based on this part of your question, I would recommend the Silicon BC108 Sunface or the High Gain NKT275 Sunface.

• Members

Oh and one more thing... Gringo Loco makes pedals and has a good ear for fuzz. If you have pedals you're not using and want to trade, or want good fuzz at a good price, check him.

I think he's pretty busy now, but he might have something already built he could send you.

• Members

Damn, I'm really scatterbrained today! I forgot to mention forumite Duderanimous sells on eBay and gets rave reviews for his "Monsterpiece" fuzz pedals. They're under $100 and I think he gives you a discount if you buy direct from him on the forum. And he does trades too. I haven't heard his pedals in person, but he's on my list of fuzz to get.

• Members
Originally posted by chump5150

Recently? When the honeymoon is over and you get tired of them, let me know!

Hey bro, I got the pink Ram Head about three days ago and had the MH Del. about a month now. Both out of this world! This honeymoon will endure longer than the one with my ex. You can have her instead! :D

Send David Main an email. Great dude to deal with.

• Members

Well I watched some videos of the nkt275 sunface, and it basically had everything I was looking for. The ebay one does have 3 bids on it already, but it also has 3 more days so it should shoot up. The ones on the site do cost under 200 bucks though. I'll look into these other fuzzes you guys are telling me about. Thanks for the help!

• Members
Originally posted by ZeppelinPie792

Fuzz factory: super fun, hard to use, can get many fun and weird tones. Supposedly has a lot of annoying high end and no low end (I like my guitar to be bassy, doesn't need to be though)

The Fuzz Factory isn't hard to use. It challenges you to find the setting you like. It has a balanced tone, not too high and not too low. If you needed your fuzz sound to feedback to a different pitch then you were playing, the Fuzz Factory can do that. :)

• Members

Damn, I'm really scatterbrained today! I forgot to mention forumite Duderanimous sells on eBay and gets rave reviews for his "Monsterpiece" fuzz pedals. They're under $100 and I think he gives you a discount if you buy direct from him on the forum. And he does trades too. I haven't heard his pedals in person, but he's on my list of fuzz to get.

Thanks for the mention :cool:
Just check out my eBay feedback... says it all, really

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

*takes shameless advantage of an opportunity within this thread*

Someone
please
buy my new/mint Tonefactor Huckleberry. I can't use fuzz. $95 shipped in US48.

:wave:

Cash-wise I'm overextended right now, otherwise I'd hit it. Looking for anything in trades?

• Members

Cash-wise I'm overextended right now, otherwise I'd hit it. Looking for anything in trades?

Well, I have 3 delays, 2 reverbs, 1 boost, 2 chorus, 2 phases, 1 wah, 1 tuner, 2 noise reductions and a vibe. I'm not sure what you could offer that I don't already have in a straight up trade.

I'm more eager to sell vs. trade. But, you could try... ;)

Archived