Virtual piano newcomer

u6crash

• Members

For the last few weeks I have been reading a book on music theory and since piano is mentioned in it so frequently, I've been itching to get one. My concern is that it will be too foreign of a concept for me to pick up. I know the names of keys and can read music, but for some reason I can't get my hands to move independently of themselves (though I can do it on guitar and to a lesser extent, drums). I can play some chords, but I don't know if my posture/technique is right or wrong. What's a good book/video to start with? Any other tips and starting suggestions would be great, thanks!

Guest Anonymous

For the last few weeks I have been reading a book on music theory and since piano is mentioned in it so frequently, I've been itching to get one. My concern is that it will be too foreign of a concept for me to pick up. I know the names of keys and can read music, but for some reason I can't get my hands to move independently of themselves (though I can do it on guitar and to a lesser extent, drums). I can play some chords, but I don't know if my posture/technique is right or wrong. What's a good book/video to start with? Any other tips and starting suggestions would be great, thanks!

If you are just starting out on piano I would just start out with my right hand. Learn and become comfortable with the right hand until using the left. Look for some piano basics on the internet.

I started out using my right hand and I eventually started using my left. It took time.

Archived