Whats your opinion: I should get JD990 or D550?

SaltyDogg

• Members

I really don't particularly want either, being on a budget (of course I would get every synth possible if I weren't)

But given the d550 with a programmer, which one would probably be more useful?

Is it a question of which is more awesome... or do they both do different things? I assume the JD can basically cover D550's turf, but it seems people STILL like the D50/D550.

• Members

Is it a question of which is more awesome... or do they both do different things?

They are completely different synths, have nothing in common, and one can not emulate the other in any way. There are some D-50 patch recreations on the JD and Super JV which both feature "structures" but it is more like static picture as they don't have the "analog part" in the synth -> that is the main source of 90% sounds you hear from D-50. I own both and they are one of those "never sell" instruments.

• Members

I've had a lot of experience with both. First had a D50, later a D550. Then a JD800 and about a year ago picked up a JD990. They're all great synths. I spent years programming the D50/550 and got some wonderful sounds out of it and it was my favorite for a long time. However if I had to make the choice you mentioned, I'd definitely go for the JD990. Of course it depends on what kind of music you are using for, but for the kind of ambient electronic sounds I go for, the JD990 has more depth and sonic complexity.

Not to mention, more expandability. Mine has the Vintage Synth expansion board which adds a whole new palate of sounds. For a digital synth it has a warmth that's hard to find. Nothing wrong with the D550, but my choice would be the JD990.

Archived