Any suggestion on a jazz pickup?

Alex D

• Members

I have a semi hollow body and want to put some jazz pickups in it. it has humbuckers in it.

Any suggestion?

What a great jazz humbucker pickup

Feel free to suggest any other suggestion, just please keep in mind I do have humbuckers in it so it got to fit. Thanks ya'll :wave:

• Members

Honestly I really like the way that WCR Crossroads sound in a semi-hollow for jazz. Very Clean and articulate. I really don't know too much about pickups, but when I plug in my Les Paul with classic 57's in it after playing my 333 with the crossroads, it sounds like someone threw a blanket on my amp. The pickups really make a natural sound which, at least for me, is my goal when playing jazz.

• Members
Originally posted by Onswah

Honestly I really like the way that WCR Crossroads sound in a semi-hollow for jazz. Very Clean and articulate. I really don't know too much about pickups, but when I plug in my Les Paul with classic 57's in it after playing my 333 with the crossroads, it sounds like someone threw a blanket on my amp. The pickups really make a natural sound which, at least for me, is my goal when playing jazz.

thats what I'm looking for, the whole taking the blanket of the amp thing. the semi hollow body already adds girth, but I want to maintain the high/mid end.

Keep them coming ya'll

• Members
Originally posted by Alex D

thats what I'm looking for, the whole taking the blanket of the amp thing. the semi hollow body already adds girth, but I want to maintain the high/mid end.

thanks
:wave:

Keep them coming ya'll

Oh man, you have to check out the Kent Armstrong Vintage 12G. It's not exactly a "jazz" pickup but Eastman uses them in some of their archtops and semi hollows and it is amazing. This is my next pickup purchase. I have tried it and I love it. I haven't spent much time with it though. So, I'm still a little curious myself.

• Members

I've tried both the a6 and the paf from benedetto. The a6 is a stonkingly good jazz pup, surprisingly high output and really rich. you get a lot of detail in the midrange. it reveals everything. the paf is lower output, and more of a typical vintage gibson sound.

btw, have you played a benedetto benny? that axe has the a6s in it and it a wonderful sounding guitar. try one if you can.

the only wcr pup I've tried is the burstbucker in the bridge position. it is also a fantastic pup, but not really a "jazz" tone, more a rock/funk sound if that makes sense.

• Members

Jim Soloway uses a few in his guitars - the guy knows Jazz tones. I believe he uses DiMarzio Air Nortons and TV Jones TV'Trons in his HB equipped guitars.

I'd also heartily recommend Harmonic Design Z-90s - not a humbucker, but a HB sized P-90 derivative. Excellent smoky Jazz tones with the biggest sound you'll ever hear from a single coil.

• Members

no never had the pleasure to play a benny :(

I heard a lot of good thing about the a6, so I starting to narrow it down a bit.

So would you put this in the bridge and neck, or is it more of a neck pick up?

Any combo of pick-ups you would suggest?

Thanks

• Members
Originally posted by erksin

Jim Soloway uses a few in his guitars - the guy knows Jazz tones. I believe he uses DiMarzio Air Nortons and TV Jones TV'Trons in his HB equipped guitars.

I'd also heartily recommend Harmonic Design Z-90s - not a humbucker, but a HB sized P-90 derivative. Excellent smoky Jazz tones with the biggest sound you'll ever hear from a single coil.

ohhhh, p90's :D :D :D

now it getting interesting :thu:

would ya know what scofield uses?

• Members

Nope - does he mod his Ibanez?

I guess he does now, I was just over at the harmonic design site and I guess he used their classics before.

I was just listen to some jazz the other day, and I don't know the guys name but he was so good. In a smooth jazz kind of way. I guess he was the guitarist for chicago??

What was his name???

I going to go check, if you know it drop his name for me ;)

thanks

• Members

I really can't stomach 'Smooth Jazz' - "And now your local forecast - accurate and dependable from The Weather Channel..."

When I think of killer Jazz tones - Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, and Wes Montgomery are the ones that come to mind.

• Members

I really can't stomach 'Smooth Jazz' - "And now your local forecast - accurate and dependable from The Weather Channel..."

When I think of killer Jazz tones - Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, and Wes Montgomery are the ones that come to mind.

neither can I, but it was good. I kind of get sick of hearing "my favorite things"-"milestones" type stuff. So I say smooth jazz thing as meaning new jazz really, rather then the same old stuff of miles davis, or the coltrain stuff. Which is great stuff, but man it can get really old.

• Members

Originally posted by Alex D

neither can I, but it was good. I kind of get sick of hearing "my favorite things"-"milestones" type stuff. So I say smooth jazz thing as meaning new jazz really, rather then the same old stuff of miles davis, or the coltrain stuff. Which is great stuff, but man it can get really old.

I dunno - their stuff was so deep, I get something new out of it everytime I hear it. Certainly can't touch the vibe and production either, IMO - Rudy Van Gelder is a true master...

• Members

I dunno - their stuff was so deep, I get something new out of it everytime I hear it. Certainly can't touch the vibe and production either, IMO - Rudy Van Gelder is a true master...

I can't find it, it wasn't that guy from chicago :(

which is good :D

Meh.....what do i know???, I like jam bands for the improv style and listen to steve kimock and he plays "milestones" stuff all the time :freak:

thanks for the suggestions, You seem to have very good taste ;)

• Members

If you're going for real traditional sounding stuff, the Lollar Charlie Christian pickup is killer! A friend of mine has it in an Epiphone Joe Pass, and I'm sold.

+1 on Rudy Van Gelder. How can Coltrane possibly get old, he's the most inventive musician ever of all time! That's just like, my opinion, of course.

• Members

i think the pups in sco's guitar are stock.

i have a jsm100 (the sco model) and I'm not inclined to change the pups at all, they sound just fine.

i have the a6 in the neck, i wanted that sound for lead and clean rythmn. i think it would partner well with another a6 of course, but also with any cleaner/vintage/low to mid output bridge really, just depends what you are looking for.

btw, sco really works the pickups selection quite a bit in his playing, there is a lot of bridge pup in there, especially when he plays with dirt.

Archived