Should I move away from a PodXT Live...

Bassified

• Members

..and go get an actual amp?

I am currently using a Line6 PodXT Live into a Tech21 Power Engine 60 with a Fender Strat. It's versatile, but the Pod's still a digital modeler. There are some high gain or gain models that I use and it doesn't clean up very well. Most importantly, I am need a rig for a live band situation and there was some annoying feedback from the Pod last time I gigged with it.

With around $800cad, should I focus on getting a tube amp? I also considering getting a Tech21 Trademark60 for SS.

Not sure if this is off-topic, because the Pod is a modeler with effects, but I am also asking about amps. Advice?

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

..and go get an actual amp?

I am currently using a Line6 PodXT Live into a Tech21 Power Engine 60 with a Fender Strat. It's versatile, but the Pod's still a digital modeler. There are some high gain or gain models that I use and it doesn't clean up very well. Most importantly, I am need a rig for a live band situation and there was some annoying feedback from the Pod last time I gigged with it.

With around $800cad, should I focus on getting a tube amp? I also considering getting a Tech21 Trademark60 for SS.

Not sure if this is off-topic, because the Pod is a modeler with effects, but I am also asking about amps. Advice?

I would swap the PodXTL with a Tonelab SE. It nails the crunch/overdrive tones better. I would also consider adding another Power Engine 60, and run them in stereo with the TLSE.

• Members

Originally posted by aeonrevolution

What sort of music do you play?

I know there are a ton of amps to be recommened din that price range.

Oh yeah. I am in a 4-piece indie/punk/rock band. I'm not looking for an amp that has nu-metal high gain tones as we don't play heavy metal. Just something with good Fenderish cleans and a good mid-gain overdrive is what I am after.

I'm trying to find a combo under 40lbs, but I don't know, because I need at least 30 watts for tube. Around 60+ watts for SS. So if I go tube, I'm thinking of going head+cab, just because I don't like all that weight in one combo.

That's why the Tech21 Trademark60 is one my radar, because it's light and I heard from people it's good. I don't know if I should go tube with that kind of money though. Suggestions?

• Members

I would recommend a lower priced combo amp. Something criminally underrated like Delta Blues or Classic 30, and then just buy a couple dirt boxes to compensate for saturation. Maybe even just an LPB-1 for a decent boost. Those amps have a great indie sound. definitely not a modern tone, but I've never been a fan of the Mesa thing.

• Members

I used to be digital, sold it all (power engine, atomic amp, tonelab SE, Boss GT-6) and got a Vox AC30CC, not looking back. Fender has some lower priced tube amps that sound really awesome too.

But seriously, for me, the difference between digital and tubes was night and day, though my playing getting better in time did help make the digital sound better.

• Members

I know I'll probably be the only one to recommend this, but why not look at some solid state combos or even half-stacks? I was in your position a few months ago. I needed an amp, had a limited budget, and wanted something big enough to gig with.

I messed around on some cheap tube amps, and to me they just sounded like over-priced solid states. A particular offender to this was the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It got recommended to me heavily on another message board, so I went and tried it out. And I absolutely hated it.

I ended up going for a solid state Marshall half-stack and I couldn't be happier. It's loud enough for anything, but also can get quiet enough (and still sound normal) to use for home practice.

It also takes effects VERY well. I just hooked up an Ibanez DE7 and an Ibanez FZ7 to it today, and both sound great.

Here are some solid-state/hybrid amps I recommend;

Marshall MG Series; They get dogged on a lot for not sounding like tube Marshalls, but for what they cost, they're great amps for just about anything.

Vox Valvetronix Series; Although not my cup 'o tea, they are pretty nice amps. They still have the modelling stuff in them, so if you're trying to break away from that these probably aren't your best option.

Roland Cube Series; Again, not my preference for sound, but they do sound good. They have modelling stuff in them like the Vox does, so the same applies: if you're trying to get away from modelling, these won't really be your best choice.

Good luck on your amp search, and remember to try before you buy!!!

And, remember everyone, before you jump on me for recommending solid state amps over tube (in this case), keep in mind that every thing in this post is my opinion. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by -Anti-

I know I'll probably be the only one to recommend this, but why not look at some solid state combos or even half-stacks? I was in your position a few months ago. I needed an amp, had a limited budget, and wanted something big enough to gig with.

I messed around on some cheap tube amps, and to me they just sounded like over-priced solid states. A particular offender to this was the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It got recommended to me heavily on another message board, so I went and tried it out. And I absolutely hated it.

I ended up going for a solid state Marshall half-stack and I couldn't be happier. It's loud enough for anything, but also can get quiet enough (and still sound normal) to use for home practice.

It also takes effects VERY well. I just hooked up an Ibanez DE7 and an Ibanez FZ7 to it today, and both sound great.

Here are some solid-state/hybrid amps I recommend;

Marshall MG Series;
They get dogged on a lot for not sounding like tube Marshalls, but for what they cost, they're great amps for just about anything.

Vox Valvetronix Series;
Although not my cup 'o tea, they are pretty nice amps. They still have the modelling stuff in them, so if you're trying to break away from that these probably aren't your best option.

Roland Cube Series;
Again, not my preference for sound, but they do sound good. They have modelling stuff in them like the Vox does, so the same applies: if you're trying to get away from modelling, these won't really be your best choice.

Good luck on your amp search, and remember to try before you buy!!!

And, remember everyone, before you jump on me for recommending solid state amps over tube (in this case), keep in mind that every thing in this post is my opinion.
:thu:

Well I already have a modeler, and it's a PodXT Live. So I don't see a point in changing to a Roland Cube 60.

I am actually trying to look for something a bit more simple and I think I have a good budget for some pretty nice amps.

Archived