Smoke free houses for pedals...

ZachOmega

• Members

I noticed in an auction some time ago, some guy wrote that his pedal was used in a smoke free house. I thought it was kind of silly and thought nothing of it.

I just thought, "It's a pedal, how much smoke could it possibly pick up?" With amps or guitars I always thought of it. But effects?

I bought an older Maestro Fuzz-Tone on ebay the other day as a project. When I opened it, first thing I noticed was the guy was a smoker. Heavy smell of smoke on it.

I'm not upset or offended or anything. I was just really surprised and now I completely understand why somebody would mention it.

-Zach Omega

• Members
Originally posted by LoneStarGuitar

but what about people that played out. I guess they are screwed unless you are in a municipality that has banned smoking in bars and clubs.

It doesnt bother me. I like my amps to reek of smoke, bongwater and beer. Shows that they have lived beyond somebodies bedroom.

you must live in one of those barbaric cities that still allows public smoking!

;)

• Members

Well the pedal doesn't smell like normal smoke. Almost smells like pipe or cigar smoke. Whenever I touch the thing, I have to wash my hands afterwards. I'd clean the thing but I'm afraid of taking paint off of the thing. It is in pretty good shape and I'd hate to {censored} it up.

As I said, it doesn't bother me so much. Just making a note. And to the best of my knowledge, people don't take vintage Fuzz Tones out to play shows. Well at least not people I know.

-Zach Omega

• Members

I bought a PRS custom 24 once that was gigged with for like 6 months. The thing smelled like smoke like nobodies business. I mean, I would play and my hands would smell like smoke. The guitar case smelled aweful as well. It was so nasty and I dont mind smoking at all.

• Members

Here is the thing...I've owned TONS of old gear...By the quantity of gear I've owned, some of it must've been owned by smokers. I can't be 100% certain, but just the odds are in my favor.

I've smelled mildew in amps...and all kinds of other smells...But never this heavy smokey smell...I mean I noticed it right when I opened the box...while the pedal was still wrapped up in bubble wrap. And mind you, the box was like 2 feet from my face.

The smell will hopefully fade over time...especially since I have to go in and wire up a new AA battery jack...I'd rather smell solder than old acrid smoke.

-Zach Omega

• Members

I'm reminded of the time a relative of our drummer came down to our rehearsal to advise us about our music and stuff, it was about five or six years ago I guess. He was shocked that we all smoked almost constantly and also had several candles lit, in a failed attempt to provide atmosphere(!)

We could just about hear his advice over the crackle of our guitar's volume pots, wah pedals and amp dials, which proved his point nicely. Previously, I had no idea it caused so much trouble to have smoke around such things, but since then I've always taken great care to avoid it where possible.

• Members

Originally posted by ZachOmega

Here is the thing...I've owned TONS of old gear...By the quantity of gear I've owned, some of it must've been owned by smokers. I can't be 100% certain, but just the odds are in my favor.

I've smelled mildew in amps...and all kinds of other smells...But never this heavy smokey smell...I mean I noticed it right when I opened the box...while the pedal was still wrapped up in bubble wrap. And mind you, the box was like 2 feet from my face.

The smell will hopefully fade over time...especially since I have to go in and wire up a new AA battery jack...I'd rather smell solder than old acrid smoke.

-Zach Omega

Can you be sure this thing wasn't "fire damaged" somewhere along the lines? Sounds like it's been exposed to more than just "recreational" smoke.

• Members

I can't be sure of anything. Doesn't smell like fire though. I've owned gear like that before. This just smells like heavy cigar smoking...well to me anyway. Funny how cigars actually smell so good before they are lit.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by Teahead

Can you be sure this thing wasn't "fire damaged" somewhere along the lines? Sounds like it's been exposed to more than just "recreational" smoke.

• Members

Not sure about for pedals and older solid state stuff, but for newer digital equipment prolonged and constant exposure to smoke could be a bad thing.

In college when I took my intro to computers class our prof was pretty adamant about telling those who smoked, not to smoke around their computers. Basically the idea is that particulates in the smoke can end up building up on the circruit boards over time... and it can affect performance. And since most new digital gear are basically small computers, I'm figuring the logic extends.

That would drive me nuts to buy a guitar that I couldn't play without washing my hands afterwards.

They might have well just taken their daily dump on it... might smell better.

Archived