Who has ever had a guitar given to them by parents/spouse/friend?

Northstar

• Members

my first guitar was from my parents-- a POS from a polish factory where they also made furniture. the furniture probably sounded better thatn the guitar. i was thankful but knew it was a cheap-ass guitar even though i was a noob.

i inherited my grandfather's handmade classical guitar made by Pinmentel in New Mexico. i'm really glad i got it, but OTOH i wish i got some of his electric gear, as i'm pretty sure he had some nice stuff.

• Members

My mommy (note: Yes, I still call her mommy, even though I'm 23 and am living on my own dollar, 2.5 hours away) bought my first 3 - not without consulting me first, though :) The first 2 were indirectly consulted. I'd say, "This would be nice" at some point, and if it was near a holiday, I got it (That's how I got my Rogue bass, and my Ibanez GRX20Z). My BC Rich was purchased after we went to a music shop to get my bass trombone cleaned - I was testing out some of the guitars, and ended up playing the Platinum Bich model for 3 hours. It felt so good, and fit my sitting playing style so well, she asked me if I wanted it - Christmas was coming up - so I said "Heck yes".

My mommy knows better than to buy me a random gift without knowing that I myself would have selected it. Granted, I made poor choices on my first 2 guitars (the bass especially), but they were MY choices.

Of course, same goes for me to her. Last gift I got her was a print of a photography piece she loved. It was back when I was first looking into selling my own artwork, and was checking out the DeviantPrints service - I was showing her a few pieces I liked, and she started browsing on her own. She showed a few to me that she liked, and that's how the gift was selected.

Surprise was still in tact, and everybody is happy in that way. You just have to know how to social engineer a person :) Otherwise, I just tell my friends/family to never, ever buy me anything computer, art, camera, or music gear related - just give me money, or take me shopping.

• Members

After a year of pestering, my parents bought me a Fender DG-15 acoustic for Christmas when I was twelve. My dad (not a musician) told me I could have an electric if I learned Voodoo Child and Purple Haze all the way through. A Squier Pro Tone Strat followed shortly. I'm thankful to this day. ...Man, I bet they regret that {censored}.

• Members
Originally posted by delorean

wife bought me a bass this xmas. she {censored}ing rules.

yeah, we could link the thread :p;)

my wife (gf at the time) got me an amazing-sounding/playing Alvarez-Yairi a few years back. similar to the rd series, but not quite like the run-of-the-mill versions i've seen everywhere. nopicssorry.

• Members

I just inherited my step-dad's Ovation/Celebrity Classical - lots of meaning because we used to play Byrds/Dylan/Eagles songs (the only ones he knew the words to) together on occasion. Pretty weird to play it last week - still had his strings on it...

• Members

My parents bought me my first guitar. My dad took me to the shop that rented stuff and rented me a guitar. I picked the only black one. It hadn't been rented out yet and was brand new. After a while my parents bought it for me instead of renting it. I still have it. It is an Ibanez Roadstar II Series.

• Members

More than half of them!

I inheirited my dad's Alvarez acoustic, the guitar I learned to play on.

My uncle dug a 65 Epiphone Cortez out of the garbage, it's probably my favorite acoustic I have.

My brother in law made 2 gorgeous instruments for us (a semi hollow for me and an O size acoustic for my wife.)

My parents bought me a global strat and a sears amp when I was 12 or so, then an Ibanez 335 when I was 16. I really regret having sold it 3-4 years later, what a dumb kid i was.

My buddy gave me a 50s BR9 lap steel to replace the one I had that disappeared.

Archived