need some suggestions on a small practice amp for my jazz class

Alex D

• Members

So I'm taking a jazz improv class at school and I need a small practice amp to take with me so I can play my guitar. I'm looking for something pretty cheap and it doesn't have to be a tube amp, but it has to be small. any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe one of those roland cube amp amps or maybe a marshall valvestate?

I'm not really sure because I've never had anything smaller then a 2x10 tube amp, so I'm kind of lost. What would you guys suggest?

I plan on going to G.C and sam ash this weekend to buy one and need a little help on finding one that is reliable, small, cheap, and has a nice clean sound amp (No od or distortion circuit). It doesn't even have to have effects built in, in fact I rather it didn't.

I sure this is a tall order, but I figured if I was going to ask anyone it would be you guys, I not so sure this would fit to well over on the amp forum ;)

thanks guys :thu:

• Members

I'd think the Roland Cube would do you just fine.

I have a Polytone Mini Brute and if you could find one of those cheap it would be perfect. But they've gotten harder to find lately and they don't seem to be cheap when you find 'em anymore....It's really light being solid state. Seeing you would be using this amp casually I'd say tubes vs solid state shouldn't be a big consideration...Personally I'd want reverb though; I hate not having reverb. I would avoid a cheap keyboard or bass amp for that reason....

• Members
Originally posted by sense_of_henry

I tried a little Vox 10W solidstate amp called: Pathfinder 10. The cleans weren't that bad, I didn't try much in the way of gain.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/pathfinder/path10.htm

That pretty nice, thanks. And it doesn't have those chessy effects built in :) Not that it would be a deal breaker but I would never use the effects.

The only problem is that may to wide for guitar locker, but I should be able to lay it on its side :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by telepaul

I'd think the Roland Cube would do you just fine.

I have a Polytone Mini Brute and if you could find one of those cheap it would be perfect. But they've gotten harder to find lately and they don't seem to be cheap when you find 'em anymore....It's really light being solid state. Seeing you would be using this amp casually I'd say tubes vs solid state shouldn't be a big consideration...Personally I'd want reverb though; I hate not having reverb. I would avoid a cheap keyboard or bass amp for that reason....

I would want reverb to, but I can't use it for class. He just want straight guitar and thats it, and right know we can on use bflat & f minor penta and bflat and f blues scales with the added 11th. Thats it :( And totally agree on the solid state amp, I think the head room for an amp that small pretty much demands it. I could be wrong though (not trying to discourage any ideas), I'm toally open to all suggestions. I want a list when I go to the GC/sam ash to narrow it down :thu:

thanks guys

• Members
Originally posted by inscho

i agree on the pathfinder a fun little amp on the cheap!
:cool:

hey inscho :wave:

So how much money are we talking here? I can look it up, but if you got the # on the top of your head let me know.

The funning thing is I all ways wanted a vox, just not a solid state one :(

• Members
Originally posted by JimVW

Roland MicroCube

so roland micro cube, 10x7x9. That seems pretty small :) I kind of like the jc 120 model, but I can't use the chorus :( maybe I can sneak it by him ;)

and the vox is 15(w) x7(d) x 10.5(h). I need to get my locker sized up :(

• Members
Originally posted by FranklinD

Fender Pro Junior

I am totally going to look at one of those when I get there, it may be a little to big, but its tube so. I going to have to eye ball it to make sure, as I 'm not going into school until monday . I think it my be to big though :( but it is tube :)

How the clean head room on those, I have to be at least as load as the trumpet players, but not a dirty load :D

• Members
ThinAmp_with_Case.jpg

The AXL ThinAmpisn't exactly as you described (it has onboard FX), but as far as portability goes, it's the bees knees. I love the laptop-like bag. I use it for teaching on the road. Love it. Got it for $99 on evilBay.

I'd really like to hear this one, though. Supposed to have a truly great tone in a similar small package (the speaker flips up). But this one lists @ $699.

amp_opened_front_web.jpg

(FlipTone v.25)

• Members
Originally posted by Alex D

hey inscho
:wave:

So how much money are we talking here? I can look it up, but if you got the # on the top of your head let me know.

The funning thing is I all ways wanted a vox, just not a solid state one
:(

They were on sale here (Halifax, Canada) for $89. I bought one for my girlfriend's brother (on behalf of their parents) for Christmas (he is just starting out).

• Members

I give another vote to the cube in whatever power amount/size best suits you.

They're all solid amps that sound really great. I too have a Polytone Mini Brute, and while it has a lot of headroom at 100ish watts, the actual sound output of the Cube 60 is comparable, and I am very impressed with the cube's tone.

It has built in effects and such, but you can ignore them, and sometimes a little reverb can be nice. Plus, it has a couple good clean amp models (don't hesitate to give the "acoustic" setting a shot for a pure clean electric sound).

Now, if you want to spend some money but have an amp that can be used for all things, invest in an AER Compact 60. It's less than a cubic foot and weighs very little - less than my Crate 15 watt practice bass amp. The best clean jazz sound I've heard in an amp, and low end like a twin.

• Members

wow, thanks alot guys

gil1, I will try the crate this weekend if the GC/sam ash has them, but it starting to look like the the mcro cube

I think with armoredfist and mr munky suggesting the cube after telepaul and jimvw has put the cube in the top spot plus
Armoredfist goes to osu and knows the lockers there and it seems everything but the microcube might be to big for the lockers, though the vox might fit if I lay it on its side(hmm).

But the micro cube can run on batteries so that is a big plus, and with only 2 outlets in the class and 7 guitar players :eek: Can you say wired maddness :mad: But with batteries I could be free of their clusterF*ck they go going on over there.

I hope they have atleast the vox and micro cube when I go out tomorrow. I also got to pick up some software (band in the box) because my teacher is going to give me the rhythms for the Charlie Parker Omnibook to play along with, and man I need the help. I feel this class is way over my head on the performance side, I'm just glad I not doing piano as the guy in there now is like 18 and just blows anything I can do out of the water. But I not a music major by any means so I just don't want to make a fool out of myself :( If I can get by that though, man I going to learn a lot of charlie parker this quarter :)

• Members

Another possibility is a Sans Amp Trademark 10. It is very light, well made, has good cleans. I also have a Polytone Minibrute and they are great if you can find one. It is also enough amp to use for jazz gigs without being large and heavy. Lots of jazzbos are using them and have for a long time. Don't ever even try the distortion on the Poly--it is hideous.

• Members

so do you think the 2 watts with the micro cube will be loud enough? When I say that do you think it would be as load as a trumpet player? Not one that is just wailing on the horn, but just giving a good blow (snicker snicker). I'm serious though :D

• Members

Originally posted by lostandfoundpdx

i'm retarded but i kinda want a pathfinder just for the hell of it... i dont know why. i would probably buy a 15r though so it would have reverb... and i'd get a weber speaker for it, i hear the llittle wharfedale sucks balls.

Buy four (they are cheap) and have some quadraphonic phun...er...fun!

• Members
Originally posted by Alex D

so do you think the 2 watts with the micro cube will be loud enough? When I say that do you think it would be as load as a trumpet player? Not one that is just wailing on the horn, but just giving a good blow (snicker snicker). I'm serious though
:D

I actually was at a guitar store today, and they had a used microcube at an irresistable price, so I snagged it. It's a neat machine.

As for being loud enough, it's plenty loud in terms of being able to hear it - in that respect I'd say it beats your average 15 watt practice amp, like a crate or whatnot.

The problem is that for Jazz guitar playing you need a lot of clean headroom. The tone that best complements other jazz players is often one that emphasizes the less audible frequencies - highs and upper midrange tend to get in the way of a piano player and generally clash with, rather than sitting behind a trumpet or sax. Those other frequencies require a lot more power if you want to hear them.

Also, there's not much room for hard picking in jazz. If you're used to playing rock you'll learn to lighten your touch - it gives you a lot more control over your dynamics, maintains your intonation, and allows you to pick faster.

The bottom line is that you'll be very uncomfortable if you're trying to play your very loudest in order to stay in the mix. That's why polytones are 100 watts, and many popular boutique rock amps are 5, 18, 40 watts, even though jazz guys generally play far quieter gigs than rock guys.

Now if you're playing chunky rhythm guitar for a big band ala Freddie Green, the Microcube will do just fine. But if you're playing Charlie Parker as though you had a horn, I'd think you'd prefer more power.

It's very likely that this jazz training will have some type of secure facility for gear - a lot of people have stuff that's a lot bigger than a Roland Cube 60.

• Members

Thanks MrMunky. I not trying to play above or even with the horn players at this time. We are each doing 2 12 bar verses each, one in bflat minor pentanoic and another in bflat blues scale with the added 11th(blue note). I'm just trying to keep to an even level so that when the trumpet guy who is before me is done I can just jump in and not have the teacher have to lower the blacking track that we are playing over (kind of throws me off). It just the transcribed rhythm section of the charlie parker song (back home blues this week) played with the software "band in a box" off a laptop and thru the schools pa system

As for a secure locked room, I don't really know of one. I not a music major though, I'm just a minor so I'm on the low end of all those players in priorities and skill . I'm also lucky just to get a musician locker, they are bigger though. I'm going to be put into a trombone locker as all the guitar lockers are taken if that say anything. The bad part about it is that I have a class way across campus (osu campus is huge) and I can't just lug around a guitar and an amp :( The first couple of weeks is going to be hell just getting everything organized, and I still have 12 more hrs of psych and philosophy to deal with :(

but as for the picking hard/ rocking out. I've never really been like that, I'm a finger picker just for the fact that I like the different dynamic and attacks I get with using the side of my finger, or the nail, or with finger rakes and all that. that kind of why I was worried about volume. I don't want to have to dig to hard and all that, it throws off my speed and timing and I need as much as those two as possible (I kind of suck, sort of) :D :D :D

Archived