Might be going to work on a boat... what gear should I take?

Anal Log

• Members

Howdy,

Well, I may be going off to work on a cruise boat. I'm planning to buy a new guitar when I get to the USA to take on board the ship so I don't get too bored when i'm not working, probably an electric.

So what I would like you guys to suggest is:

- A Suitable, versatile axe.

- A decent headphone/practice/recording solution.

- Think about space (minimal space on board)

I've considered a Micro BR, but I'll also be taking my Apple G4 1.33 Powerbook, so any recording solutions that incorporate that as well are cool. Keep in mind HDD space might be an issue, and I don't plan on taking external drives.

• Members

Howdy,

- A Suitable, versatile axe.

- A decent headphone/practice/recording solution.

- Think about space (minimal space on board)

What exactly is the price range here? For a guitar, I'd suggest an acoustic-electric, but I don't know what you want to spend on that. You might be able to find a Taylor T5 - I've played some in the stores, and they're really nice - or maybe (if you're really lucky) an old Yamaha AEX1500. If you have one of those, you could hold onto it after you get off the boat, and still have it be a nice instrument.

For headphone/recording, your best bet might be a POD. They're small, and if you keep it in good shape, you can probably unload it for close to what you paid for it (if you want to).

Given the nature of your situation - cruise ship employee - I doubt you'll have much space at all. Anything beyond a guitar and something with a footprint about the size of a POD (or less) will probaby be difficult - or even flat out impossible - to manage with the space you'll have.

EDIT: Found an AEX on Ebay for a good price. http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-AEX-1500-ARCHTOP-JAZZ-GUITAR-NR_W0QQitemZ180074081351QQihZ008QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

If your doing anything outside, something that doesn't mind salt.

I've been on a few cruises, mostly on American lines. I generally found the shows and bands playing to be really boring and generic, the sort of thing that garners polite appluause, nothing more.

On every one, the only shows that I liked were the English comedians and bands, but being English, I may be a little biased.

A decent electro-acoustic is a good bet, and nothing that's gonna make old people have heart attacks.

What line will you be on? Princess?

• Members

I'd find a good beater electric - the elements are gonna take their toll and you don't want anything too nice that will invite theft. Plus, you'd be able to play an electric at night and not worry about disturbing others.

I'd get some modelling box to plug into your computer - no idea which though, sorry...

• Members

Good ideas guys, thanks for your input.

Just a note, I won't be performing with the guitar, just using it as a sanity keeper in my spare time, and hopefully write some music. That's why it needs to be able to record.

Do any POD devices record?

Thanks

• Members
Good ideas guys, thanks for your input.

Just a note, I won't be performing with the guitar, just using it as a sanity keeper in my spare time, and hopefully write some music. That's why it needs to be able to record.

Do any POD devices record?

Thanks

I'm sure there are ones that come with software that allows you to record to your computer..

:wave:

Archived