Baritone/Six String Bass Question...

benecol

• Members

Hello - quick question, and while I know it should probably go in the electric guitar or even the bass section, I trust you lot's opinion more: I fancy getting hold of either a baritone or a six string bass to make spy film, spaghetti western, Tortoise-type noises. Now, I'm on a RIDICULOUSLY tight budget, so if I can get one guitar to do both these jobs, it'd be great. At the moment, I'm looking at reissue Dano's - I've read elsewhere (I think it was the FDP) that you can tune a baritone down to E - E; can anyone shed any light on this? Baritones look easier to come by (and cheaper), anyone care to let on how much fun they are to play? Is there a world of difference between a six string bass and a baritone? And finally, they'll both sound fine through a normal guitar amp, right?

Thanks in advance...

• Members

I've got a Bastardcaster (Strat body, Dano 30" scale neck) that I use to experiment with lower tunings. I've tuned it E-e, and I could never get it to sound decent in that tuning. Too grumbly. I'm going to eventually toss some GFS lipstick pickups in it, hopefully that will give the tone a little bit more snap.

I've always loved Dano guitars, I don't think you can go wrong with picking one up. Unless you're an appearance freak. A lot of people think they look cheesy.

Most baritone guitars are 27" to 28" scale, and usually tuned A-a or B-b. The Fender Bass VI is a 30" scale, E-e instrument. The Dano baritones are 30", but I think they come from the factory tuned A-a.

Another option is the Gretsch. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5265-Jet-Baritone?sku=511568&src=3WFRWXX I'm not sure how much the Danos are going for these days, but the Gretsch is pretty reasonably priced. And IMO, a vibrato is essential for the type of stuff you want to do with it. :D

• Members

if you have a fender body around www.warmoth.com sells 28'' necks that fit in, if your in the UK the old sheldons worked great for joy division / new order's peter hook, and you can find them for a good price.

shecter makes a baritone for Perry of the Cure thats pretty nice

and E-E is fine, or A-A or B-B, or any tuning you can think of

and a vibrato is good to get!

i made a pretty big pic filled post in the bass forum about baritones if you want to search there.

• Members

If you can get your hands on a Black (the other finidh has a hideous "celtic cross" on it) epiphone baritone that would be my choice. I had one for a year and i used it to record vocal lines on songs for which i didn't yet have lyrics. The only reason I sold it was to get a Dean Cadillac, my dream guitar...
:cool:

• Members

if you can find one of these you'd be set...
dano1.jpg
Danelectro Innuedo
i got mine for about $125, maybe $150. they can easily be had for under $200.
they are solidbodies with strat pups, unlike typical Danos.
if you want that spaghetti soundtrack twang you'll definitely want singlecoils--either Fender-style or lipsticks.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/ has some cool ones too.

Archived