steps to a quiet rig...

!HxC!

• Members

so here it is: guitar--monster cable--morley wah--whammy--Monster Cable--dtr1000--r.m. Hush--Morley hum eliminator--amp.

Loop: send--boss line selector--digiphase--boss chorus--MM4--digidelay--digiverb--Ibanez LOfi--back to line selector--return.

I'm using a PedalSnake for the loop and power, 2 godlyke power-alls for effects, minus the whammy, which I run on its own, and its all ran from a furman pl-8. So far I've narrowed it down to something in the loop, as what I'm hearing is only there when the loop is engaged. I'm using good cables, but i think its ths power. The "noise" gets louder when the reverb is on, and when I crank up the mix on the chorus....

so i guess the Q is....

WHERE DO I START!??!?!

• Members
you could very well be getting nasty ground loops from anyone of your power supplies, as it looks like they are all daisy chained wall warts. I would highly recommend a linear power supply that has isolated ouputs, such as the voodoo labs pedalpower2.

or a Dunlop DC brick :)

but i'd go with the voodoo labs..

• Members

Take one pedal out, if theres still hum, put it back, take out another. rinse and repeat.

You may find that it's not the one pedal thats causing the problem, but the cables or power supply for that pedal.

yeah I'm pretty sure its my power. But will a voodoo labs power a Whammy?

• Members

nice patch cables are a must. monster, mogami, lava cable, planet waves, george l's...

I actually have some george l's cables, but I dont use em much. I got me some homebrews that are suprisingly really quiet

• Members

man i see a rig with a "hum eliminator" anything in it you just know its there to fix a problem that otherwise doesnt exist... or you are trying to play death metal through a telecaster.

It's much easier to take it all out and put in one by one than to take one thing out at a time in my experience.

• Members

I've been on the same quest for a ultra quiet rig for some time now. My benchmark is that my clean sound should be no noisier than the guitar plugged straight into the amp.....

I've acheived my goal. here are some tips:

Get a Voodoo labs PP2 - all the dc outputs are isolated - VERY important. Don't use daisey chains. They do add noise - mostly by way of ground loop. Anyone who says they don't is probably not listening critically enough. The more pedals run off the chain, the more ground loop noise.

Unplug everything (and I mean eveything - even the poweralls from the sockets).

Add one item back into the chain at a time (effects switched off).

Compare the noise of the pedal (with the effect off) when powered by battery to running on power supply. Ideally they should be the same. Then do the same with the pedal on.

Make sure your amp is turned up loud so that noise is audiable to begin with, that way you can tell whether each item added increases noise or not. This step is important. At bedroom level there isn't much noise to begin with, so any increase in noise will be hard to detect. At loud levels, even a small increase in noise will be very obvious. (be sure to aviod loud pops etc when plugging and unplugging). Having a distortion pedal engaged will make it easier to hear ground loops and magnetic interference.

Be very careful about where you place pedals and cables in relation to wallwarts, mains cables and transformers (including the one inside your amp). They do induce noise through magetic interference.

Learn to recognise various types of noise. Most distortion pedal will introduce a hiss when switched on and this is normal. Unnormal noise is the buzzing caused by ground loops, or magnetic interference, which sounds very different to a hiss. Once you learn what to listen for, you'll be able to better assess whether a piece of gear adds normal noise or bad noise.

HOpe this helps

• Members

I've been on the same quest for a ultra quiet rig for some time now. My benchmark is that my clean sound should be no noisier than the guitar plugged straight into the amp.....

I've acheived my goal. here are some tips:

Get a Voodoo labs PP2 - all the dc outputs are isolated - VERY important. Don't use daisey chains. They do add noise - mostly by way of ground loop. Anyone who says they don't is probably not listening critically enough. The more pedals run off the chain, the more ground loop noise.

Unplug everything (and I mean eveything - even the poweralls from the sockets).

Add one item back into the chain at a time (effects switched off).

Compare the noise of the pedal (with the effect off) when powered by battery to running on power supply. Ideally they should be the same. Then do the same with the pedal on.

Make sure your amp is turned up loud so that noise is audiable to begin with, that way you can tell whether each item added increases noise or not. This step is important. At bedroom level there isn't much noise to begin with, so any increase in noise will be hard to detect. At loud levels, even a small increase in noise will be very obvious. (be sure to aviod loud pops etc when plugging and unplugging). Having a distortion pedal engaged will make it easier to hear ground loops and magnetic interference.

Be very careful about where you place pedals and cables in relation to wallwarts, mains cables and transformers (including the one inside your amp). They do induce noise through magetic interference.

Learn to recognise various types of noise. Most distortion pedal will introduce a hiss when switched on and this is normal. Unnormal noise is the buzzing caused by ground loops, or magnetic interference, which sounds very different to a hiss. Once you learn what to listen for, you'll be able to better assess whether a piece of gear adds normal noise or bad noise.

HOpe this helps

+ 1,254,335,890

That is exactly what I dreaded to hear, but it'll be worth it! Thanks!!

• Members

My stuff seems noisy when I play at home, and it's usually because my board is real close to my amp and I'm playing at room volumes. Noise is a lot less noticable in a gig. Unless the sound guy complains don't worry about it. I've never used a line selector but I bet that thing makes some noise in a loop.

Archived