Why do we pay to copy?

mike.sartori

• Members

I agree that copying an entire rig is senseless. HOWEVER, wanting to get one person's fuzz sound, or another person's delay sound is just hearing an effect you like.

I liked the delay that At the Drive-in, The Mars Volta, and Pink Floyd get, so, I looked for a delay that would get some of the more unique delay tones. Did I go out and get a Memory man like all three bands use? No. I found an Ibanez DE7 and liked it, so that's what I went with.

Just because you want one band's sound from one specific effect it doesn't mean you're copying them. Basically, you're just using that band's tone on one part as a reference. Just like if you'd hear an unnamed soundclip.

• Members

I agree that copying an entire rig is senseless. HOWEVER, wanting to get one person's fuzz sound, or another person's delay sound is just hearing an effect you like.

I liked the delay that At the Drive-in, The Mars Volta, and Pink Floyd get, so, I looked for a delay that would get some of the more unique delay tones. Did I go out and get a Memory man like all three bands use? No. I found an Ibanez DE7 and liked it, so that's what I went with.

Just because you want one band's sound from one specific effect it doesn't mean you're copying them. Basically, you're just using that band's tone on one part as a reference. Just like if you'd hear an unnamed soundclip.

I think it's good if people are like "delay, I like that" and buy one, but it's the thing of spending way more money to get the one that some guy uses. I bought a tremolo because I like the way it sounds on country sounds, but I've probably used it more for different kind of things, I've found like 9 different cool things to do with my trem, and those sounds have inspired me to play in different ways.

• Members
Honestly Clapton used a wah because Hendrix used one.

actually it was the other way around, Hendrix heard Clapton using a wah on Tales of Brave Ulysses. first time Jimi used a wah was at the Fifth Dimension Club in Ann Arbor, Michigan 1967. Earl Hooker and Buddy Guy were using a wah way before either one.:thu:

• Members

....he has good tone wiht that head.. but.. not loud enough for gigs..

pair it with a single EVM-12L (or repro/RI), and it'll handle it no prob --- meaning the hearing it across a loud stage. it'll also take yer head off. miking/PA should always be first tactic for filling a big room though.

on the whole rig-copy thing, its one thing i've never really gone through. almost all my gear has been happened upon, rather than searched out for inspired-by-purposes. OTOH, once said gear is assembled, using a song/band/artist as reference point happens occasionally -- 'I need a Keef-sounding phase, but lighter' for this song, or 'something kinda Houses of the Holy solo' for a part. at that point a pedal might get swapped, or not, for something else from the stash.

Archived