How bad for you are artificial sweeteners?

therhodeo

• Members

That one is Saccharine, Diet pop uses Aspertame. It still can't be good for you. You should limit your daily intake of all sweets, be it sugar, cHFCS, artificial sweeteners, etc. Also, the acids in all pop (regular and diet) are bad for your teeth and bones.

(I drink probably 3 12oz cans a day of Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper, through...)

• Members

That one is Saccharine, Diet pop uses Aspertame. It still can't be good for you. You should limit your daily intake of all sweets, be it sugar, cHFCS, artificial sweeteners, etc. Also, the acids in all pop (regular and diet) are bad for your teeth and bones.

(I drink probably 3 12oz cans a day of Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper, through...)

I drink probably one can a day normally. But then I drink huge amounts of water too.

• Members
They have to, HAVE TO find something wrong with Splenda. That's the way things work, it's the perfect product (arthritis drug, Mosquito repellant, morning sickness cure, etc) then 5 years later it all goes to hell.

Pessimist :p

Even if they do, it's made from sugar itself, which has to be somewhat better than Aspartame.

• Members

Uh, Spleda does not taste like real sugar.

(Yes, I know, "but it's made from real sugar!")

It's an isomer. That means it's different. There's a reason your body doesn't really respond to it.

It's also puffed so it takes up more space, which really {censored}s up recipes.

Just by glucose if you want to pay a lot of money for alternative sweeteners.

(Glucose, for those of you with diabetes, is what insulin allows your body to turn fructose and sucrose, from regular food, into.)

• Members

Stevia is great, used in Japan for 40 years with no side effects, but political issues (other sweetener companies putting pressure on FDA) stopped it from coming into the US until 10yrs ago even though it's basically just an herb.

The one downside to Stevia is that too much of it tastes bitter, an effect you don't have with sugar. It also doesn't dissolve quite as easily as sugar/splenda/aspartame; because it's a natural fiber, it can clump together a bit.

But, once you get the hang of how to use it, there's nothing that's a better compromise between health, taste, affordibility, and convenience. IMHO.

• Members

I heard of some new study being done on his stuff saying it makes you fatter than sugar because of how it reacts in your body.

Link?

I have heard that there a few cases where the human body has learned how to metabolize Aspertame (people that only drink diet coke on a daily basis)

• Members

Saying Splenda is made from real sugar is like saying Mercedes Benz are made from dirt. It's a lie but also a very effective marketing campaign. The company that makes it, McNeil Nutritionals, pretends to have done over 100 exhaustive studies on Splenda...another lie.

- There have only been six human trials to date (with tiny sample sizes)

- The longest trial lasted three months (effects of these types of chemicals are typically long term)

- there have been zero human studies done on Splenda since FDA approval

- At LEAST 15% of Splenda is not excreted from your body in a timely manner

The sugar industry is currently suing McNeil Nutritionals for implying that Splenda is a natural form of sugar with no calories.

Donald Rumsfeld was the chemical company lacky in congress that got aspartame and similar 'sweetner' chemicals pushed through the FDA despite 100's of scientists signing a petition to have it labelled as a poison (which is exactly what it is). Aspartame and all it's cousins are active neurotoxic ingredients in insecticides...THAT'S RIGHT, you're eating insecticide...that's where these chemicals originally came from. Don't believe me? Try using it as an ant bait (on sugar-loving ant species)...it will wipe out the nest over a week or two. It's actually very effective (I used to be an entomologist and have tested this out).

The typical symptoms of aspartame intoxication are very similar to multiple sclerosis. Although it's hard to prove, Micheal J. Fox only started developing Parkinsons disease after he became sponsored by diet Pepsi and horribly addicted to the drink and consumed many litres of it a day (supplied free of charge of course). Artificial sweetners are considered by numerous doctors to be some of the most addictive chemicals legally available.

Normal soft drinks aren't much better. They're linked to thinning bones (apparently there's an epidemic of this in teenage girls epsecially who drink lots of sodas), heart disease, diabetes. cancer etc etc.

Coke Adds Life! :wave:

• Members
I drink alot of Diet Dr. Pepper and I'm just wondering how bad stuff like that is for you.

I used to work in a high tech chem lab about 8 years ago. All of our waste water systems were heavily monitored by the city and state with very sensitive pH monitors. There were signs above every sink in the building - DO NOT POUR SOFT DRINKS IN SINK. The pH of most soft drinks is around 3.5 - very acidic. The old addage that it'll rot your teeth out is true. I have about one soft drink every 6 months or so...

:wave:

Archived