Songs that made you love single-coils.

sense_of_henry

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only on the first two albums.

he used a tele on every album i believe. He used a strat on Houses Of the Holy and Presence and In Through The Out Door. Plus his trusty black Dano made appearances all over the place. He used singles far more in the studio than HB's. He's been quoted in saying that he much preferred HB's live because of the fullness they gave, but likes the tonal control of singles in the studio.

:wave:

• Members

i wuold say i changed off of humbuckers when i really got into no knife again a few years ago... their tone just floors me.

Totally. Between No Knife and early Death Cab for Cutie I decided it was ok to play a strat. But I think the first song I ever heard where I decided I liked the single coil tone was TV Eye from The Stooges. I played Marshalls and really high gain stuff when I was younger, so I never liked single coils with my setup. It took a sludgy song like TV Eye to convert me.

• Members
he used a tel on every album i believe. He used a strait on Houses Of the Holy and Presence and In Through The Out Door. Plus his trusty black Dano made appearances all over the place. He used singles far more in the studio than HB's. He's been quoted in saying that he much preferred HB's live because of the fullness they gave, but likes the tonal control of singles in the studio.

:wave:

What guitar is the most closely associated with Jimmy Page? Almost everyone would say a late 50s LP standard.

• Members

What guitar is the most closely associated with Jimmy Page? Almost everyone would say a late 50s LP standard.

right. But it's not the only guitar he used...

(taken from http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk)

although i would add that a telecaster was used on the solo to Whole Lotta Love i believe.

* Album by album gear

* Led Zeppelin I

* GUITARS: 1958 Telecaster, 10-string Fender 800 pedal steel, Gibson J200 acoustic

* AMPS: Supro

* Led Zeppelin II

* GUITARS: 1959 Les Paul, Vox 12-string

* AMPS: 100-watt Marshall, Vox solid-state

* Led Zeppelin III

* GUITARS: Harmony Sovereign acoustic, Martin acoustic, '59 Les Paul

* AMP: 100-watt Marshall

* Led Zeppelin IV

* GUITARS: Fender electric 12-string, Les Paul, Telecaster

* AMP: 100-watt Marshall, Supro

* HOUSES OF THE HOLY

* GUITARS: Les Paul, Fender 12-string electric, Stratocaster

* AMP: 100-watt Marshall

* PHYSICAL GRAFFITI

* GUITARS: Les Paul, Danelectro, Stratocaster

* AMPS: 100-watt Marshall

* PRESENCE

* GUITARS: Les Paul, Fender Stratocaster

* IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR

* GUITARS: Les Paul, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Gibson EDS-1275

again i know he's missing some stuff there, but he certainly used single coul guitars on more than just the first 2 albums. Whether he's associated with the Les Paul or not, it doesn't matter. The Zeppelin song i mentioned (ten years gone) was recorded and played live with single coils.

• Members

absolutely the stooges... television, j mascis, east bay ray from the DK's, joe strummer and how well his tele mixed with mick's LP, d. boon from the minutemen... lots of folks im forgetting im sure... the lead tele fills on 'sympathy for the devil' are always awesome to me...mudhoney always gets good, nasty single coil tone...

• Members

Roy Buchanan - "Soul Dressing"

I never thought I would be into a "Blues Man", but there are some people whose music transcends their genre and it hit a nerve in ways one could never expect.

When I heard first heard "Soul Dressing", I was guitar-less and was looking at an SG classic. I had just sold a telecaster and I hated that particular guitar, so I figured something beefier was what I needed.

I heard Roy and was floored. I bought a '52 RI three days later. I'm a single-coil man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFhjVbPfPqQ&mode=related&search=

Archived