Tube replacement: I've used JJ's before - anyone else recommend someplace?

sonaboy

• Members

I was perfectly satisfied with my order from JJ's Eurotubes last time, and that time has come once again for my JMP.

What are some other online tube ordering services that you guys find particularly good and fairly priced?

i'll most likely go with JJ's again, but i'm just curious...

• Members
this place is about 2 miles from my work...I've always wanted to see if they have a brick and mortar store.

Wow, I never checked their address nor paid attention to my invoice and mailing slips:eek: No wonder their stuff got here so fast.:idea:

I may have to visit if I go to Memphis in May this year...

• Members
Wow, I never checked their address nor paid attention to my invoice and mailing slips:eek: No wonder their stuff got here so fast.
:idea:

I may have to visit if I go to Memphis in May this year...

i played memphis in may in 05 :)

that was my last gig :(

• Members

I like jj's and eurotubes, recently I had to get preamp tubes for the vt22, and some of them were out of production. I went to tubedepot.com to get what eurotubes didn't have.

If you were happy with the jj's I'd just get those again.

• Members

Drop an email to the tubetramp from Plexi Palace ... terry_kilgore2003 at yahoo.com with the usual symbol in place of at. He has an excellent range of nos pulls at all prices, tell him your budget and what you need and he'll suggest the best options.

• Members

last question: I'm replacing tubes in a 77 Marshall 100 watt JMP head.

I know these amps have an EL34s in the power quad, but i'm not sure about rectifier - mine is a 2 input model, high and low.

what's the standard replacement package for these?

• Members

I dont think the JMP has rectifiers. I HAD one and don't remember needing rectifiers. I remember its just 4 EL-34s and 4 preamp tubes... Stick with Eurotubes I say. Have you tried the E-34L JJ do? If not yet, I would try it.

Also, I use a JCM800 2210, which is no that different to the JMP you have. I have put in JJ KT88s in and it kills. But you need a good tech to install thouse I think cause the give alot more power.

• Members

I dont think the JMP has rectifiers. I HAD one and don't remember needing rectifiers. I remember its just 4 EL-34s and 4 preamp tubes... Stick with Eurotubes I say. Have you tried the E-34L JJ do? If not yet, I would try it.

Also, I use a JCM800 2210, which is no that different to the JMP you have. I have put in JJ KT88s in and it kills. But you need a good tech to install thouse I think cause the give alot more power.

Hah! That's my other Marshall - the JCM800 2210!

strange...

• Members

Oh, its a good marshall indeed! I prefer it to the one channel JCM800s 2003 or something...

Yeah, well, put KT88 into your 2210, you will never look back.

well, actually the problem is, the JCM800 is too bright for my tastes.

my music is more cold and ambient, so a hot running marshall actually doesn't do me any favors - click the myspace link in my sig to see what i'm talking about.

i only keep my JCM800 around as a backup for this project. but i keep it because..well, it's a {censored}IN JCM800. one of the best rock amps ever made, and i know i'll use it sooner or later.

so it stays right there.

• Members

Wow... My one is really dark sounding... maybe we should swap. I can't have the bass control over 1 if I want the treble and mid where i want them... Or else I sound like the bass player...

You want cold and ambient then no, you don't want kt-88, those are hot and punchy, quite the opposite.

• Members

well, actually the problem is, the JCM800 is too bright for my tastes.

my music is more cold and ambient, so a hot running marshall actually doesn't do me any favors - click the myspace link in my sig to see what i'm talking about.

i only keep my JCM800 around as a backup for this project. but i keep it because..well, it's a {censored}IN JCM800. one of the best rock amps ever made, and i know i'll use it sooner or later.

so it stays right there.

Also, I like your songs! Keep up with the good work

• Members

i put 'ruby' tubes in my fender deville and have been enjoying them, more louder than stock and their cheap too

but i been hearing good things about JJ's maybe i should order some

Ruby doesn't make the tubes they sell. They are a rebrander, so there's a good chance you are already using JJs.

Archived