Tube replacement: I've used JJ's before - anyone else recommend someplace?

sonaboy

• Members

Bob at Eurotubes.com is great for JJs. I'm lucky I live in the same town as him. I just bring my amp over and we pick out the set of tubes that sounds the best and that biases up correctly. Great guy, great service, decent tubes.

Oh, and there is no rectifier tube in a 1977 Marshall. Marshall stopped using rectifier tubes around 65-66.

• Members

kt88's would have more headroom/be louder and less mids than el34's wouldn't they?

I'm really curious about putting kt88's in my ampeg........

I am not sure about less Mids, i didn't notice that. The whole sound is tighter and very punchy. Definnitley louder/more head room. Read the description on the eurotubes.com site on it.

• Members

I am not sure about less Mids, i didn't notice that. The whole sound is tighter and very punchy. Definnitley louder/more head room. Read the description on the eurotubes.com site on it.

I converted one of my 1959SLPs from EL34s to JJ KT88s. It's probably not that the KT88 has less mids, but that it has more bass and more treble (and more output!). But I do think that a good EL34 has more harmonics in the mids than these KT88s. I guess the KT88s sound a bit more hi-fi, compared to the EL34.

Archived