Suhr Pro vs. Fender Custom Classic

wednesdaysworse

• Members

I have no idea which is better but I have such a stiffy for a Suhr it's amazing. Check out this beauty.

gtr05al.jpg

In other words, BUMP

Suhr and Andersons are gorgeous... :eek:

Until you get to the headstocks. Green.gif

• Members

Admittedly, I have not yet played a Suhr Pro. I have played the Fender though, and have owned several Suhrs.

In my experience you still pay a substantial premium for the Fender name when you buy a Fender guitar. That's true at the custom shop level as well as at the production level. With custom shop guitars you seem to get a bit better selection of wood and a set of features not available on production guitars, but if you play a bunch and find a good production Fender, it will compare favorably to a custom shop piece in terms of quality, and you can save yourself the dough.

What you get with the Suhr however is something really outstanding. If you've never played a Suhr you owe it to yourself to give it a shot, but beware, because it will spoil you. Compared to others, my Suhr practically plays itself. Among other things what you get with the Suhr is:

1) Better wood selection. Fender tends to use very green wood, which is unpredictable in terms of the way the tone will mature and the extent to which it will remain stable.

2) Impeccable construction and attention to detail. Suhr is committed to using the latest technology and the best people, and they only produce a handful of guitars a day, even with their pro series. They're built just like their custom shop guitars, but cheaper because it costs less to make 7 of the same guitar than 7 totally different guitars. I often see Fender custom shop guitars with shims, gaps between the neck and pocket, slightly off-kilter hardware (like the trem arm hole in the block not quite lining up with the one in the plate), etc. I've not experienced it with Suhr.

3) The best setup you can get. John Suhr's reputation was built on his fret and finishing work, well before the Plek machine came around. I actually have a pre-plek Suhr and it's the best playing guitar I've ever touched. With the Plek AND the Suhr team, coupled with a stable, well-built guitar you get an incredible setup.

4) Suhr service. I have only owned used Suhrs, but after I acquired my first, I e-mailed them asking what the specifications for their truss-rod adjustment tool was. Even without my asking, they sent me two truss rod tools, and two replacement truss rod nuts - free of charge. Similar stories about Suhr abound. I won't relay my experiences with Fender support because they happened a few years ago, but I'll say they weren't as favorable.

I would think that if you're not dead set on having a "Fender" then the Suhr is an easy choice.

As for reputable dealers, I'd look at indoor storm in NC - http://www.indoorstorm.com, or Make 'n' Music in Chicago - http://www.makenmusic.com/

• Members

I would go for a used non pro model Suhr..so many are in totally mint condition that they are barely clasified as used. Fender Custom shops don't compare imo..hell my older 3 bolt Asat is as nice as a CS Tele. Suhr are awesome guitars.

Thanks for the good advice. I guess I should be looking at G & L too!

I've always liked Fender stuff, but it seems like you have to do a lot of tweaking, replacing, and adjusting to make them "right". I'm getting tired of doing it.

I just got a Reverend as a "backup", and it puts Fender to shame as to quality of setup. I just took it out of the box and it played perfectly!

• Members

MrMunky

You have sold me on Suhr!!

I really appreciate your experienced input.

wednesdaysworse

Admittedly, I have not yet played a Suhr Pro. I have played the Fender though, and have owned several Suhrs.

In my experience you still pay a substantial premium for the Fender name when you buy a Fender guitar. That's true at the custom shop level as well as at the production level. With custom shop guitars you seem to get a bit better selection of wood and a set of features not available on production guitars, but if you play a bunch and find a good production Fender, it will compare favorably to a custom shop piece in terms of quality, and you can save yourself the dough.

What you get with the Suhr however is something really outstanding. If you've never played a Suhr you owe it to yourself to give it a shot, but beware, because it will spoil you. Compared to others, my Suhr practically plays itself. Among other things what you get with the Suhr is:

1) Better wood selection. Fender tends to use very green wood, which is unpredictable in terms of the way the tone will mature and the extent to which it will remain stable.

2) Impeccable construction and attention to detail. Suhr is committed to using the latest technology and the best people, and they only produce a handful of guitars a day, even with their pro series. They're built just like their custom shop guitars, but cheaper because it costs less to make 7 of the same guitar than 7 totally different guitars. I often see Fender custom shop guitars with shims, gaps between the neck and pocket, slightly off-kilter hardware (like the trem arm hole in the block not quite lining up with the one in the plate), etc. I've not experienced it with Suhr.

3) The best setup you can get. John Suhr's reputation was built on his fret and finishing work, well before the Plek machine came around. I actually have a pre-plek Suhr and it's the best playing guitar I've ever touched. With the Plek AND the Suhr team, coupled with a stable, well-built guitar you get an incredible setup.

4) Suhr service. I have only owned used Suhrs, but after I acquired my first, I e-mailed them asking what the specifications for their truss-rod adjustment tool was. Even without my asking, they sent me two truss rod tools, and two replacement truss rod nuts - free of charge. Similar stories about Suhr abound. I won't relay my experiences with Fender support because they happened a few years ago, but I'll say they weren't as favorable.

I would think that if you're not dead set on having a "Fender" then the Suhr is an easy choice.

As for reputable dealers, I'd look at indoor storm in NC -
, or Make 'n' Music in Chicago -

• 1 month later...
  • Members

bump for ya,

and hey, does anybody know how the humbucker on the suhr pro ssh model actually sound?

It's a sweet all around, medium output pickup. It's kind of a jack of all trades, and does a great job at that if its what you want.

Of course, if you want really sparkly Chet Atkins type tone you're better off replacing it with a low output pickup like a Lollar Imperial Low Wind, DiMarzio EJ or Duncan Jazz. If you want an all high gain all the time driven tone, you might consider replacing it with Suhr's high output bridge or a Duncan JB or Invader or a DiMarzio Evolution or something. None of those pickups really do the middle ground or their opposite extreme really well though. You can play metal, rock, jazz, country, whatever you need/want to with the Suhr stock pickup.

• Members

+1 on the Suhr. Both Suhr and Anderson make fantastic guitars with impeccable attention to detail.

FWIW, the headstock was one of my favourite aspects of both these brands. :thu:

Also, if you're ordering a new Suhr, you can ask John what sort of pickups he recommends for the sound you want and will put those pickups in to begin with. No need to order something you don't want.

• Members

Ok.

That's a good enough excuse for me to go and buy a Suhr now. :o

:D

• Members

I got a Pro at the original price which was a lot of guitar for the $$$. It's a quality guitar but I parted with it in order to upgrade to a Suhr Classic. MrMunky is right, though. Once you start playing Suhrs you may become spoiled to the point that pulling current production Fender guitars off the rack will become rather disappointing. His description of the humbucker in the Pro is right on too. I found the Pro to be a versatile guitar for gigging.

• Members

I've played one like that. That's a fine guitar.

I really like it a lot. It is very versatile, sounds killer, plays great and stays in tune under extreme trem usage. :thu: The stainless steel frets are always smooth, and easy to do vibrato with and the workmanship is TOP-NOTCH!!!!

• Members

Gotta disagree there, except for them being a little cheaper.

the american g and l's are really amazing. much better than any current american fender in the same price range imo (sound and feel wise). the suhr's are all around great guitars and between them and fender (build wise in the same price range) there is no competition. g and l just does it for me more than fender so i was adding another equation to the mix... even though i play ernie ball guitars.

• Members

the american g and l's are really amazing. much better than any current american fender in the same price range imo (sound and feel wise). the suhr's are all around great guitars and between them and fender (build wise in the same price range) there is no competition. g and l just does it for me more than fender so i was adding another equation to the mix... even though i play ernie ball guitars.

One of my good friends is a G&L Custom Shop employee and would bring what were his description of their Top-built guitars, and they failed in comparisson to Suhr. Like comparing a happy meal to a 5-Star meal.

That it all I was addressing. :thu:

• Members

One of my good friends is a G&L Custom Shop employee and would bring what were his description of their Top-built guitars, and they failed in comparisson to Suhr. Like comparing a happy meal to a 5-Star meal.

That it all I was addressing.
:thu:

I will agree that i have felt some bad gandl's before... but everyone i've picked up in the last year or so has felt really good. I will definitely take your friend's opinion to heart though. And i will re-state that suhrs are amazing guitars. But I also ab'd the tribute bass with an american tobias that my friend owned... and he sold the tobias and bought the gandl. It's amazing to me that the tributes cost only a hundred some dollars more than a mexi strat.

Archived