OT: Guided By Voices... where to start?

trlkvsky

• Members

The first three lo-fi albums are generally the most loved.

Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, and Under the Bushes Under the Stars (the last being my personal favorite)

Mag Earwhig is good as well. They get a little uneven after this record. I feel that Isolation Drills is the strongest post-Mag Earwhig album. Do the Collapse is reviled by just about everybody, but I occasionally have a day when I need to hear it.

I would start w/ the greatest hits. If you love it, I'd go to Under the Bushes. If you're still not sure, hit Isolation Drills. Then tear into Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes. Eventually you'll turn into one of the guys debating the musical prowess of "the Dayton lineup" and the Fading Captain series. Enjoy.

• Members
i guess I'm in the minority
:p

I like it too, but most of the Pollard guys that I've hung out with HATE Ric Ocasek's contribution. -And I kind of understand. GBV w/ Cars synth lines can be a little disturbing the first time through.

Iodine 74 - I think Isolation Drills is a great record. I was saying that it's the strongest release after the lofi era.

• Members

Me too. I like Isolation Drills. Guess I'm just a sucker for slick production.

I mean I can appreciate the songwriting on the older stuff/less produced stuff, but I don't enjoy listening to it as much.

I like the lofi stuff more than the collapse/isolation drills....but in my opinion Bob {censored}s gold.

• Members

get box it has all their early lofi stuff

The box isn't a good starting point because it doesn't have every single song off of Bee Thousand.

BTW, what is everyone's favorite song off Bee Thousand?

I really like Her Psychology Today, although I Am a Scientist, Awful Bliss, Hot Freaks, Kicker of Elves, and Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory are all up there.

• Members

BTW, what is everyone's favorite song off Bee Thousand?

I really like Her Psychology Today, although I Am a Scientist, Awful Bliss, Hot Freaks, Kicker of Elves, and Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory are all up there.

I like every single song but by far my favorite is Tractor Rape Chain..

• Members

I grew up with Pollard's kids. Its always been weird to listen to people talk about him so highly. He was always my soccer/little league coach to me... Of course when "Do the Collapse" hit, it was a different story.

When the Smashing Pumpkins came to town, Corgan hung out with Bob and played some basketball with his kids and Corgan checked out Bob's home studio (where the EARLIEST stuff was recorded).

On a slightly related note, I may be going into a studio partnership with a guy above where the old "Cromag Studios" (which was where they recorded a ton of the early stuff). Sadly, the studio itself is a carpet store now...

Tim

Archived