anyone use a Way Huge Red LLama?

bluesboy

• Members

I had one for a short time. I wasn't all that impressed with it. The OD was hairier than what I like. Not necessarily in a bad way but in a different way. I got it for a reasonable price then sold it for a nice profit. I don't think that I ever had the intention of keeping it.

• Members

I had one for a short time. I wasn't all that impressed with it. The OD was hairier than what I like. Not necessarily in a bad way but in a different way. I got it for a reasonable price then sold it for a nice profit. I don't think that I ever had the intention of keeping it.

There's several clones of it now, right? Isn't the Tonefactor somethingorother a Red LLama for $120?

• Members

I've played a clone (Pharaoh Amps Rodeo Drive) - horrid pedal IMO. I hope it wasn't an accurate clone for your sake...

This thing probably wasn't cheap being a WH - do you not know what it sounds like or are you just taking everybody's vote on it? If I was going to plunk down that kind of scratch on a pedal, I'd be damn sure I liked it before I plunked down for one.

• Members

I've played a clone (Pharaoh Amps Rodeo Drive) - horrid pedal IMO. I hope it wasn't an accurate clone for your sake...

This thing probably wasn't cheap being a WH - do you not know what it sounds like or are you just taking everybody's vote on it? If I was going to plunk down that kind of scratch on a pedal, I'd be damn sure I liked it before I plunked down for one.

Ive heard clips, and tom petty uses one.. I like his tone

• Members

Ha. Don't listen to the naysayers. :rolleyes:

I have one and this thing sounds great. Apart from all the Way Huge hype. It's a nice cross between OD and fuzz. Like a hairy OD. Very special tone. It can do huge amounts of boosting to the frontend of your amp too. It cleans up very well with the volume knob. It's a very nice and original circuit that doesn't sound like anything else. If it sounded that bad, there wouldn't be countless clones and schematic floating over the intarweb. It's a matter of taste of course, but it is a very nice pedal IMHO. :thu:

• Members

Ha. Don't listen to the naysayers.
:rolleyes:

I have one and this thing sounds great. Apart from all the Way Huge hype. It's a nice cross between OD and fuzz. Like a hairy OD. Very special tone. It can do huge amounts of boosting to the frontend of your amp too. It cleans up very well with the volume knob. It's a very nice and original circuit that doesn't sound like anything else. If it sounded that bad, there wouldn't be countless clones and schematic floating over the intarweb. It's a matter of taste of course, but it is a very nice pedal IMHO.
:thu:

Original? Wasn't it copped from a diystompboxes.com design?

• Members

Original? Wasn't it coped from a diystompbox.com design?

I don't think diystompbox.com existed when the red Llama was created in the early 90s. It's based on an 70s Craig Anderton design published in some old electronic magazine. Anyway, what I meant by original is that no other pedal sounds close to that one to my knowledge. It's not a modified 808. It's not a rat. It's not a big muff etc. etc.

• Members

I don't think diystompbox.com existed when the red Llama was created in the early 90s. It's based on an 70s Craig Anderton design published in some old electronic magazine. Anyway, what I meant by original is that no other pedal sounds close to that one to my knowledge. It's not a modified 808. It's not a rat. It's not a big muff etc. etc.

Ahh..that's where it's from. Got it. :thu:

• Members

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if all the clones that have magically appeared are a direct result of the schematic posted on diystompboxes.com. It would be nice to think that whoever drew it up was receiving a few donations considering he saved cloners the trouble of having to buy a real one to reverse engineer.

• Members

where did you learn to do this? I might like to try someday just for fun...

I bought the book that the Red Llama circuit was originally from, Craig Anderton's "Electronic Projects for Musicians." Then i bought the Shin Ei kit from www.generalguitargadgets.com. Then I got the big muff clone from www.buildyourownclone.com. And i found a perfboard layout to build the red llama clone somewhere online. It's really simple.

• Members

I love the Red Llama. It's easily my favorite overdrive of all time.

There are definitely a lot of people who don't like it, but many of them are using humbuckers, which I don't think sound quite as good with this circuit as single coils.

I love the way it cleans up when you roll back your guitar's volume knob...There's a ton of volume on the volume knob, so turn that up a little louder than you normally would, put the drive up at around two-thirds or three-quarters, and roll back your guitar's volume to get a nice chimey clean sound that really kicks on the dirt when you turn it back up.

:love:

Here's my Red Llama #11 next to a couple of my clones:

IMG_0300-1.JPG

• Members

I love the Red Llama. It's easily my favorite overdrive of all time.

There are definitely a lot of people who don't like it, but many of them are using humbuckers, which I don't think sound quite as good with this circuit as single coils.

I love the way it cleans up when you roll back your guitar's volume knob...There's a ton of volume on the volume knob, so turn that up a little louder than you normally would, put the drive up at around two-thirds or three-quarters, and roll back your guitar's volume to get a nice chimey clean sound that really kicks on the dirt when you turn it back up.

:love:

Here's my Red Llama #11 next to a couple of my clones:

IMG_0300-1.JPG

You did such a good with those!

:thu:

Archived