To Sell or Not to Sell - My Oasys

MFenkner

• Members

Well, I found a buyer that seems reasonable. He's already tried the Oasys since his friend owns one, he made me an offer on the phone that is 85% of what I paid, and he wants to pick it up next week.

Now my problem is I'm not so sure I want to part with it :cry:

I don't have the time to play with my keyboards much nowadays - maybe only a few hours a week. Also the clutter of my gear is a bit unsightly (at least from a woman's point of view) and I plan to sell my house in the next year, so if I kept my stuff I'd have to put it in storage for a while. And if I later decided to sell my Oasys, it probably would have gone down in value by then.

But on the flip-side, I'd like to always have a decent keyboard around for the times I do want to play. And once I do move and have a bigger house, my gear wouldn't be in the way anymore. And maybe I shouldn't worry about the Oasys going done in value since it has enough flexibility and features to last a long time.

Uggh, I hate making decisions.

• Members

Don't be foolish, Sell it

How is the Buyer paying for it ? Cashiers check ?

You need to verify its a real Cashiers check. Look for the watermark to validate it. Also google this topic so you are up to speed. Visit your friendly bank for validating a cashiers check

Now don't obsess over this, simply educate yourself

• Members

If you're asking the question ... You've really already made your mind up ...

Sell it ... Unless you truly don't need that money ...

The OASYS is a very desirable workstation synth, but it will no doubt drop in price ... and perhaps something else will even eclipse it ...

BTW, what will you be playing in the meantime?

• Members

Sounds like you're getting the upper end of what used ones go for. Still sucks you're eating over a grand on it, but in the scheme of things you're doing pretty well. I say sell it, and get an M3/Radias in a few months.

Sure it's not everything the O is, but if you don't use the CX-3 stuff, hard drive audio recording (My preference is a daw for this) or Legacy collection stuff (Which you could prob get close with the VST equivalent.) You'll prob end up ahead a few grand, and have another synth that won't start depreciating much for at least a year.

The O is a DEEP instrument. If you only have a few hours a week to play on it (More less dig in) I'd say it's not a bad idea. You have to ask yourself.. what do you actually USE on it? Are you completely knocked out by it?

• Members

And maybe I shouldn't worry about the Oasys going done in value since it has enough flexibility and features to last a long time.

Korg WILL eventually lower the price of the OASYS (I am surprised the price hasn't been already lowered given the pricing history of their other keyboards).

Given you have already gone as far as advertising the OASYS for sale, and given some of your posts about "getting rid of all of your gear", I think you should go ahead and sell.

• Members

If I sell it, I doubt I'll buy a new synth for a while; what's the point of selling the O and then spending $3K on another synth? For the difference in price, I'd just keep the O. And I don't really need the money, so that's what's made it a tough decision.

Regarding the form of payment, I'd only accept cash. I don't know enough about cashier's checks to trust them.

And in response to realtrance's recommendation, I already have a Minimoog Voyager. But if I sell my O, that will probably go to. :cry:

At the moment, I'm leaning towards keeping it. I'm doing funny math in my head, thinking "the money I'd get is only four months disposable income. Is it worth selling it for that?" Probably I'd piss the money away anyway buying some ridiculously priced guitar, like a Teuffel Tesla.

Dunno.

• Members

If I sell it, I doubt I'll buy a new synth for a while; what's the point of selling the O and then spending $3K on another synth? For the difference in price, I'd just keep the O.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards keeping it. I'm doing funny math in my head, thinking "the money I'd get is only four months disposable income. Is it worth selling it for that?"

OK, you have convinced me.

Keep it, and tell it you are very sorry for even thinking about selling it :)

• Members

At the moment, I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Do it like the rest of us do.

Put it in a closet* for a month and see if you miss it. See if you really really like it again when you get it out of the closet. If not, sell.

* only for large values of closet

• Members

If I sell it, I doubt I'll buy a new synth for a while; what's the point of selling the O and then spending $3K on another synth? For the difference in price, I'd just keep the O. And I don't really
need
the money, so that's what's made it a tough decision.

Regarding the form of payment, I'd only accept cash. I don't know enough about cashier's checks to trust them.

And in response to realtrance's recommendation, I already have a Minimoog Voyager. But if I sell my O, that will probably go to.
:cry:

At the moment, I'm leaning towards keeping it. I'm doing funny math in my head, thinking "the money I'd get is only four months disposable income. Is it worth selling it for that?" Probably I'd piss the money away anyway buying some ridiculously priced guitar, like a Teuffel Tesla.

Dunno.

Cashier's checks and money orders are time-tested. Western Union is another option - people who sell stuff internationally tend to prefer this.

Doesn't a Tesla sell for $5000? Still cheaper than an OASYS.

• Members

Do what you want to do.

ha ha - he wants to sell the board, and he wants to keep it. :freak:

I feel that same way about a lot of stuff. :confused:

OK - certain things I know I want to keep. I guess with the other stuff it could go either way.

• Members

I will say this: if you think you might sell it and then turn around later and buy another one, then you're best off keeping what you've got.

I did that a couple times (re-purchase the same thing after selling it) - not a good move. :idea:

Archived