Oasys - Rumored price reduction

Bach42t

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have heard that the 88-key will come down to around $6K.

While this is cool, we're STILL talking about 6 Freaking grand here. We've all discussed it's merits to death already. I don't see any Mainstream interest in the O until it's about half it's starting price. By then it could be long in the tooth and superseded by something else.

Regarding PC parts being an issue, I'd bet it would be relatively painless and simple for them to upgrade the O to modern Hardware. It is software after all. Even if they had to recompile it for 64 bit, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Performance would go through the roof too. If they got that out of an old 2.8ghz p4 northwood, could you imagine what they'd get with a conroe?

Anyway, I'm going a little OT here. I still couldn't see plopping down $6k for an OA$Y$, especially since I'd want to gig with it. A.) I'd be terrified something would happen to it, and B.) It's freaking HUGE!

• Members
Regarding PC parts being an issue, I'd bet it would be relatively painless and simple for them to upgrade the O to modern Hardware. !

Anyone have any pics of the Oasys with the bonnet open? Be interesting to see wether it could be upgraded with standard PC components. :idea:

• Members

Anyone have any pics of the Oasys with the bonnet open? Be interesting to see wether it could be upgraded with standard PC components.

The silver box to the left of the fan in this image is where the motherboard is. So as you can see, to a point it

• Members

There is however a little door on this box for installing RAM and when you open it, all you see is a standard PC motherboard, so yes. In my opinion it would be very easy to upgrade the OASYS.

Who's going to write the new O.S. that would work with the new chipset/ram/cpu?

• Members

Yeah Definitely Korg. I don't think anyone is suggesting your average joe would take some new parts off the shelf and stuff them into his OA$Y$!

Right. But my point was, if Korg is going to do that, it's going to be in a new board, not the original Oasys KB.

Archived