Korg M3 vs Yamaha Motif XS???

tangerine

• Members

Yeah, I kind of think it really depends on one's personal uses. They do seem like 2 totally different machines, at least to me. Yamaha XS maybe more realistic quality with all it's Motif Arps and Korg M3 with it's integration of Oasys-like features (Karma+Radias) with Triton sounds.

Are both able to be used as a VST or AU in your DAW through the USB?

M3's touchscreen and seperate EQs per channel is big for me. (Plus a kaoss pad)

• Members

I'm looking forward to testing the M3 whereas the XS holds very little interest for me.

However, it's going to take a lot to get me to open my wallet again on another workstation (at least one without proper audio tracks) ...

QUESTION: Can anybody comment on the effectiveness of the Triton's in-track sampling?

• Members

Release date?

Price?

Features?

1. Read about them at each manfacturer's website

http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/motifxs/index.html

http://www.korg.com/gear/prod_info.asp?A_PROD_NO=M3&category_id=1

2. Understand the pricing

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Motif+XS&tt=1

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Korg+m3&tt=1

(M3 73/88 pricing not yet set)

3. Call your local music store about availability

4. When available, demo each product at your local store

5. Decide what is best for you based on features that are most important to you

6. Enjoy your purchase

• Members

I'm looking forward to testing the M3 whereas the XS holds very little interest for me.

However, it's going to take a lot to get me to open my wallet again on another workstation (at least one without proper audio tracks) ...

QUESTION: Can anybody comment on the effectiveness of the Triton's in-track sampling?

Why not start a new thread I'm interested.

• Members

Can you elaborate? I don't know what you're talking about.

The Korg M3 still has only two independent programming lines per program, the same as their M1 almost twenty years ago. Your Fantom X has four. I believe the XS has eight, but I haven't confirmed it by downloading the manual.

Korg can get away with it because practically nobody bothers to learn how to program original sounds on a workstation. And they know it. If all you ever do is play the presets with perhaps minor editing, it's not an issue.

• Members

The Korg M3 still has only two independent programming lines per program, the same as their M1 almost twenty years ago. Your Fantom X has four. I believe the XS has eight ...

Hmm ... never really considered that ... That is a bit spartan (if true) ... I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

• Members

I like the idea of crossfading ... Something the Fantom doesn't have, I believe ... However, like most things on a workstation, it can be worked around ...

Yep, cross-fading is the business. It blurs the switch effect between multisounds that contain layers of recordings.

For example, pp mp, f, ff, fff layer changes become extremely transparent.

The M3 engine is also heavily based on the HD-1 engine of the OASYS, and what can be accomplished with that is truly amazing.

For example, during a recording session here at IA-Studio

• Members

I like the idea of crossfading ... Something the Fantom doesn't have, I believe ... However, like most things on a workstation, it can be worked around ...

Huh? You can set up crossfades by using the velo fade upper/lower parameters (TMT screen, right above and below the velo ranges on my Fantom S, probably similar on your X).

• Members

Well, if they'd do up Karma in software and put out a demo for it, then people wouldn't have to guess or make assumptions about it.

My assumption is that it's a type of algorithmic software that you have 'some' control over. Other than that, I have to guess. :freak:

Archived