Korg M3 vs Yamaha Motif XS???

tangerine

• Members

M3, no question about it, really.

XS?

- no VA expansion board

- no Karma (no, it's not an arpeggiator)

- no touchscreen Kaoss pad

- no drumpads

Not to discredit the M3, but if I had a dollar (Inflation folks) for every time something sounded amazing on paper and didn't live up to the hype, I'd have a nice wad of cash.

I'm reserving final judgment until they are both sitting in front of me. Based on the demos I'm giving the nod to the XS thus far, though I dig the OS layout of the M3. The released price for the M3 61 puts me off though, so right now the XS has the edge in my mind.

• Members

I like the idea of crossfading ... Something the Fantom doesn't have, I believe ... However, like most things on a workstation, it can be worked around ...

You need to get out more. No... seriously, press the edit button on that X7 of yours and check out all the cool stuff in there.

• Members

I just like the whole layout of the M3. It has everything I would want in a rompler, actually it does way more than a rompler which is why I really want it. Seperate EQ for everything. The Pads on it make it double as a drum machine pretty much. No need to get a Roland MV when I can just transfer the samples through USB and beat out beats with the pads already. The Kaoss pad (nice color effect too) and Karma v2, maybe a Radius add on later, has a lot of potential. Even if the sounds aren't up to par with the XS, I'd still want the M3 just for the interface combined with the features.

Watching the XS video, the XS now has 8 elements (sounds?) with 8 sliders and knobs to control them. The bigger Color display. More waveforms/sounds and Arps.

I want to know how configurable those Arps are.

Basically it comes down to: the XS is probably the best traditional rompler out now, and the M3 is proabably the best creative rompler. But as we're all saying, we'll really have to wait and see until they come out. Still, I already know the M3 is what I want by watching the video demos of both.

• Members

MRC ... Are you trying to expose me as a preset bunny?

How about ... I'm spending most of my time trying to be a better player ...

But I am interested in learning more about synthesis. I did what you said, but unfortunately didn't see what you thought I would.

I looked up Crossfade in the manual's index, nada too.

What patches use oscilator/waveform crossfading on the Fantom? I'd love to check that out. Is that what makes Roland pads so dreamy?

• Members

This gotta be sarcasm... no?

........ but there's much truth in sarcasm....no?

anyway, if you :love: vocoders like me, you need to (first buy... and) install the optional EXB-RADIAS in your M3 .......the XS has a vocoder right out the box......;)

the M3 looks quite cool ... It's funny to see a 73 key version... But I already have the original M3r .... so i'm not sure about that name

(actually I would personally also have come up with a better name than "XS"....)

....the M3 is a bit more expen$ive tho (without that vocoder!) .............but who knows what will happen with those list prices when everything hits the stores...?!

• Members

Both the Fantom and the M3 have those. They're cheap and lots of fun to play with, and with the M3 you get the bonus that you can assign more to it than just samples and notes.

Obviously, it will help with Karma. But I'm curious as to what else can you do it. I am expecting high functionality from it.

As for the Fantom ... with it's "Realtime Phrase Sequencing" (RPS) you can record CCs, patch changes, etc. and assign them to the pads or any key ... so really the sky's the limit there.

You can have up to eight sequences playing at once with mute groups.

I'm actually just starting to get into it now.

RPS is a highly useful feature ... and if anyone's planning on getting a Roland workstation with any thoughts of extensive and wide-ranging live or realtime use, make sure you get RPS (Fantom X, Fantom Xa only.)

• Members

Several people here complained that Yam decided to chop the PLG boards for no apparent reason.

There are lot of reasons. First of all, plug-in boards just didn't sell enough to warrant their existance (I was never even able to order one because my local retailer didn't stock them). Second, they have a lot of annoying restrictions. The AN board is not multitimbral; you can't edit its voices from within the synth OS, you have to use editing software; you can't store plug-in voices conveniently in a special Mix bank; you can't stack plug-in sounds with AWM in the Voice mode; you can't access the board's own preset and user Voices from the front panel (and the plug-in voices stored in the host OS have to be sysex bulked to the edit buffer); etc.

I admit I did expect Yamaha to either include an onboard DSP reminiscent of EX5 which could handle AN and VL engines, or have a completely new option board system... well, this is not happening this time as it seems.

You are willing to get a 10-year old AN1x from eBay just to replace the plugin board?

No... if I come to conclusion that I really need VA synth, I'd rather consider Roland SH-201 (however I'm reluctant to add a 3rd keyboard to my setup becaue even two are a bit too much for the living room...)

• Members

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the UI of the Radias add-on will be like. It could potentially allow deep editing, yet be very easy to use, given the touch screen, sliders, knob :) and buttons available on the M3. I didn't purchase any of the Yamaha synth PLG's because the host integration was a funny joke, and you need a computer editor to get the most out of them. I'm in the market for a synth action keyboard, so I will probably buy the M3 IF the Radias integration is tight.

• Members

Korg can get away with it because practically nobody bothers to learn how to program original sounds on a workstation. And they know it. If all you ever do is play the presets with perhaps minor editing, it's not an issue.

Yea that's me!

but i still vote for the XS, any way if i had the money ill get a k2661.

• Members

Huh? You can set up crossfades by using the velo fade upper/lower parameters (TMT screen, right above and below the velo ranges on my Fantom S, probably similar on your X).

Thanks ... I will check it out ... One of the things I don't like about Roland is the way they seem to have to come up with their own terms for every synthesis concept ...

• Members

One thing I was wondering about ... Since the left and right tones are independent on the Fantom's four-part tone structure, is there any way to make it act like Yamaha's new eight-part structure

(and does anybody know if those eight parts each have editable left and right zones?)

• Members

could anyone tell my why is this yamaha guy so famous? does he have to do anything with yamaha's R&D? or is he just a presenter?

Bert is very famous cuz of his insane Yamaha bootleg Youtube movies and ofcourse his Yammie promos all over the world... He also does programming stuff for Yamaha synths.... and makes sure all the bugs will be gone when the XS is introduced at Messe 2007 (let's all hope so)

And oh, he is my guru:thu:

But then I've been playing on Yamaha gear all my life....

Bert just convinced me to buy a Motif and since then... my life has become much easier ;)

• Members

One thing I was wondering about ... Since the left and right tones are independent on the Fantom's four-part tone structure, is there any way to make it act like Yamaha's new eight-part structure

(and does anybody know if those eight parts each have editable left and right zones?)

Fantoms allow you to enter two wavefroms, left and right, on each programming line (called a tone), so they can be together as a group if you want. This also gives you a possible eight wavefroms total, like on their stereo four layer piano. And of course each programming line can be panned anywhere you want... if that's what you want. It's very flexible.

Totally precise velocity crossfades are in TMT. If you are looking for something more quick and dirty, just enter a negative number in TVA velocity sensitivity, which works for me the majority of the time. Rolands are very good at allowing negative numbers in key places. They've always done this.

I understand if you're frustrated by the sheer amount of data under that edit button. I've been doing this basic programming line since the D series almost twenty years ago. Each subsequent model has added a few more features, so for me it has been much easier, like reading a long novel over a long period of time. But I encourage you to learn it. There is a lot of satisfaction in being able to really control your own sounds.

• Members

MRC,

Thanks for the tips!

BTW, though, I'm not a total slave to presets. However, I'll basically only press that EDIT PATCH button when a sound isn't working for me.

For me, enhancing my playing technique and and live performance skills are too important right now.

But we should all endeavor to learn outside our comfort zones ... Cheers!

• Members

Did you ever see one of Bert's demos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bLjqAJO2xw

If he was a robot he'd be able to transform into a can of Red Bull
:D

Yeah, he is the "20000 volts" kind of guy. The only thing i don't like is he does many stupid jokes :)

Have you seen the presenter of the DR 800 at rolaus.com? i think that is a great presenter.

Archived